Painting realistic wood? Second attempt on pg2

Hi,

I'm hoping that you brilliant people of RMweb can help me here.

I'm looking for techniques on how to paint a realistic wood effect for the inside of open wagons. Such as old, run down wood etc....

I have tried, but It dosen't look convincing, so any advice would be appreciated.

And if you could share pictures of your work then that would be perfect, just so I know what I'm trying to aim for.

Many thanks

Nelson

Here's the wagon I'm trying to paint the inside of,

post-19436-0-61539600-1383595831_thumb.jpg

I have noticed the mistake of the planks on the sides.

Its a bit what suits you  I have seen some good effects with the Games workshop "Bleached Bone". My best was a Humbrol "Light oak/leather"mix with lots of matting agent mixed in. There have been some good articles in Model Rail the last few months too. practice on some scrap plastic

• RMweb Gold

This is something I struggled with for a long time but this is a technique I've now settled on which gives results that are pleasing to my eye at least for bare wood planks on the inside of a well worn wagon.  I use acrylics because they can be painted on and then worked with a damp brush to get the desired effect. If possible I like to paint the inside of the wagon kit before removing it from the sprue as it makes it so much easier.

Initially the whole sprue was painted a mid/dark brown as an undercoat. The first photo shows the result after three coats of increasingly darker shades over the undercoat. The first colour coat is quite a light beige and left to dry completely. second coat has a bit of mid brown colour added to the beige mix and when almost dry the paint is lightly dragged off with a damp flat brush. Third coat has a touch of dark brown added to the mix and again dragged off when almost dry. Always working along the direction of the planks of course.

post-7649-0-29823400-1383599606.jpg

The second photo shows the next stage. Once thoroughly dry (24 hours) a very thin watered down wash of a grimy grey black mix is brushed along the planks with a flat brush, the excess dabbed off with a piece of kitchen towel left a couple of minutes and repeated until the shade looks right. I aimed to leave the colour darker in the corners. A final run over with a slightly damp flet brush finishes it off.

post-7649-0-84902800-1383599617.jpg

The final shot shows the completed wagon.

post-7649-0-36746300-1383599626.jpg

I didn't bother painting the internal strapping.

Your wagon looks OK, maybe a little brown, I would go with a little more grey. Have you got a shed in your garden that has not been painted for a few years? If you have take a photo and put it on your bench when working.

I think you have to be careful of using brown for old wood. White woods will go more of a silver grey with age. Even red wood will tend to get a silvery sheen.

I tend to use more creams and black for mine. But even so I do not think I go grey enough.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nelson, don't be thinking your first attempt is pathetic, it's a good start. I'd also agree you need more lighter colours and greys. It took me a while and many attempts to get towards something I was happy with (see my workbench link below).

Have a look here for a range of weathered wood colourings:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=weathered+wood&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1GF5UtPtLcbJhAfBx4GoCQ&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1574&bih=879

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions, I really do appreciate it, please do keep them coming.

Here's how it's looking now, I've added a fairly dark grey wash (thinned down paint) over the top and it's looking better than before?

Do i need to dry brush another colour over the top? Or does it look fine?

The coal hasn't been glued down, it's to see what it looks like with coal added.

post-19436-0-16349200-1383950054_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-73488800-1383950061.jpg

Once again guys, I really do appreciate all your help, many thanks.

Edit: I will take more better pics tomorrow.

I don't think coal was carried in 5 plank wagons. Pity to load it with how it's coming on.

Thank you for your comment,

You may correct to say coal wasn't carried in 5 plank wagons? on the mainland, but this wagon is supposed to be a representation of an NCC (northern counties committee) 5 plank wagon which, over here in Northern Ireland definitely did carry coal.

3 plank wagons were also used to carry coal as well over here as well.

Thank you

Nelson

• RMweb Gold

That's looking really good now Nelson. If it going to definitely going to be a coal carrying wagon then it probably would improve it slightly by treating it to a black wash. You want it thin enough so that the colour goes into the corners and along the gaps in the planking. You might also want to think about rust weathering the internal strapping as it is so prominent. Coal is very corrosive to ironwork. 

Thank you for your comment,

You may correct to say coal wasn't carried in 5 plank wagons? on the mainland, but this wagon is supposed to be a representation of an NCC (northern counties committee) 5 plank wagon which, over here in Northern Ireland definitely did carry coal.

3 plank wagons were also used to carry coal as well over here as well.

Thank you

Nelson

I stand corrected. Sorry guys. My father was on the railway and I guess the rulebook and Thomas the tank went hand in hand. I love it when I'm right and I love it when I'm wrong.

Long live rmweb.

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who had helped and commented, I really appreciate it, many thanks

This is how it's looking now.

I've added some rust to the inside metal work and I've decided that It won't carry a load (to nice to cover up) now I need to weather the outside.

Sk what do we think?

post-19436-0-69504700-1384459842_thumb.jpg

post-19436-0-05459100-1384459856_thumb.jpg

Edit: I'm sorry about the lighting, just took the photos there now.

One thing you could try is to scrub over it with a fibreglass pen, which will allow some of the lower colours to come through.

I start with Humbrol natural Wood and a light grey on top of halfords grey primer. Let that dry then add a little darker grey and brown dry brushed along the grain. let that dry then dry brush matt black across the grain. Finally a light grey wash.

Let it dry for 24 hours at least then attack it with the fibreglass brush.

As Nick says it is easier if you do this before construction.

Thank you for all the suggestions, I really do appreciate it, many thanks.

All this information is very useful for any other upcoming projects I have,

Here she is all finished.

post-19436-0-39092000-1385155651.jpg

post-19436-0-44374800-1385155658.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75169-nelsons-oo-gauge-workbench-new-5-plank-wagon-loxborough-inspired/page-4&do=findComment&comment=1232573

Do you need to wear gloves when using fibre glass pencils?

• RMweb Gold

Do you need to wear gloves when using fibre glass pencils?

Only if it's cold  :mosking:

Seriously, I always mean to wear some latex gloves when using a fibre glass pencil but somehow always forget. More often than not I get some of those irritating fibres stuck in my hand.

Nice job on the wagon by the way.

Archived