Hornby D16/3

Downer

If you fit the thinned-down brass washer on the bogie screw as I described above, you will find that increasing the weight at the cab end is completely unnecessary - other than perhaps adding a white metal crew.

A slug in the flywheel space would do no harm - but do be careful if you go down this route because part of the gearing is exposed at the bottom end of this vacant 'flywheel space' and you don't want anything touching that, or worse, coming loose.

As for lining the inside of the boiler above the drivers, that IS the flywheel void.  Everything else in that area is pretty much already full of metal.

- Don

Evening,

I've had two arrive today and on opening them up have found both looss with broken injectors. There is a plastic sheet underneath as well as on top of each loco, I suspect it is this which has caused the damage rather than an ill fitting tray. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Paul.

Yes, the weathered version I bought from hobbyco in Australia a few weeks ago had one injector loose in the tray, one missing (or I am blind). The LNER version bought a few days later was fine.   They aren't really visible unless you are looking and are presumably assembled with a dab of acrylate. It wasn't very obvious how to re-attach the assembly of injector pipes without reference to pictures, and even then it wasn't clear.

No other damage, very slight warp in front running plate but not really visible unless with camera lens.

I am very pleased with them both, particularly that the factory weathering on the BR version although very basic isn't quite as yellow and 'wrong' as the weathered K1 looked.

Brilliant models for the price in my opinion.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Well, mine arrived today. A beautiful model and mine runs very  silently and smoothly - although I will add a washer above the bogie as described by orford. Here's a photo' I took before adding the extra details on to the model - and, yes, that's a B17 tender which can be seen on an adjacent line!

post-22631-0-46366600-1443044966_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 5

Rob - Remember you need to thin down a typical 8BA brass washer to about half it's original thickness, with a flat needle file. It needs to be very thin (about 10thou) otherwise it will have the opposite effect to that desired and may tend to lift the front drivers.

A simple styrene washer would probably be just as good, although would not wear as well and would possibly need replacing from time to time. I would suggest experimenting with styrene first - your loco might not even need it. I cannot guarantee that they are all exactly like mine. Either way, the brass bogie mounting plate should sit flat and hard up against the underside of the main chassis casting. Bend it slightly if necessary.

EDIT - Rob ....Looking at your photo, the brass bogie mounting plate on your engine is exactly as it should be.

Edited by orford

PETER C (45568) in Australia...............

If you read this, just wondering how easy or otherwise you found getting the original numerals off the cab side?  (I noticed you had re-numbered yours).

I need to re-number mine too but in the past have found my normal method (a gentle rubbing with a cotton bud soaked in denatured alcohol - meths for UK readers) tends to bring the underlying paint off as well on Hornby models (whereas Bachmann paint seems much more durable and tends not to come off).

Although it's black paint on black plastic this still shows and I was wondering whether you or anyone else on here can offer a satisfactory way of removing Hornby numerals without bringing the paint off too.

- Don

PETER C (45568) in Australia...............

If you read this, just wondering how easy or otherwise you found getting the original numerals off the cab side?  (I noticed you had re-numbered yours).

I need to re-number mine too but in the past have found my normal method (a gentle rubbing with a cotton bud soaked in denatured alcohol - meths for UK readers) tends to bring the underlying paint off as well on Hornby models (whereas Bachmann paint seems much more durable and tends not to come off).

Although it's black paint on black plastic this still shows and I was wondering whether you or anyone else on here can offer a satisfactory way of removing Hornby numerals without bringing the paint off too.

- Don

Hi Don,

I actually used a little Brasso on a cotton bud and cocktail stick. Compared to other Hornby locos. I have renumbered, these came off very easily with little if any paint removal.. I used HMRS sheet 14 for the pressfix numbers, the size is just right but the 1's on my sheet seem a little malnourished! They are also slightly paler than the Hornby lettering, which has a distinct yellow cast.

My next D16 project is to renumber 62581, the weathered one, to 62546, with a relining job to do.

Incidentally, my 62571 has no problem with 9 bogie coaches on undulating track at all speeds, slow speed control is commendable, and this on DC!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Hi Don,

I actually used a little Brasso on a cotton bud and cocktail stick. Compared to other Hornby locos. I have renumbered, these came off very easily with little if any paint removal.. I used HMRS sheet 14 for the pressfix numbers, the size is just right but the 1's on my sheet seem a little malnourished! They are also slightly paler than the Hornby lettering, which has a distinct yellow cast.

My next D16 project is to renumber 62581, the weathered one, to 62546, with a relining job to do.

Incidentally, my 62571 has no problem with 9 bogie coaches on undulating track at all speeds, slow speed control is commendable, and this on DC!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Thanks, Peter.

I had deliberately not mentioned the colour given that overall, Hornby have done a cracking job - but you are quite correct the numbers are too yellow, and should be a little 'creamier'. Likewise the tender crest is also slightly wrong, albeit the other way round and should be a little deeper in colour (more gold).

I too believe HMRS 14 is correct and that is what I use for all my renumbering jobs.

Edited by orford

• RMweb Gold

When I got home yesterday there was a loco shaped box waiting for me.  As I had a prior appointment at the Royal Albert Hall to see David Gilmour I resisted the temptation to open it until this morning - looks wonderful.

However - I've just received an email from that well known Liverpool emporium to say my D16/3 has been shipped, but yesterday's box came from points South-West.   Looks like I forgot about my pre-order and ordered another one at some point.   Oh well, the only thing better than a D16/3 is two D16/3s!

Looks like one will need renumbering.

Martin

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived yesterday from a certain on-line retailer/manufacturer that used to based in Margate  :jester:  :jester:

Ran smoothly and quietly straight from the box, certainly doesn't need a flywheel. It's nice to see a 4-4-0 that doesn't need tweaks in the way the first batch of T9's did.

The only minor gripe I've had with it, is having to clear-out the holes in the buffer beam to get the guard Irons to fit.

Will take some photo's later.

Quick question for those who may know, did any of the longest serving members of the class get blessed with a Late Crest?

Quick question for those who may know, did any of the longest serving members of the class get blessed with a Late Crest?

The only two I have found photographic proof of with the late crest are 62613 (as above) and 62618 - but unfortunately neither are correct for the Hornby version, both retaining their original decorative valances & different cab and both being fitted with the larger boiler (this larger boiler was generally fitted to the 1923 re-built batch - from D16/2  ...I.e. 62611 onwards).

On the other hand, the loco I have (which will be renumbered as 62610) was the last of the 1911 batch and appears to have never received the late crest.

So unless anyone can come up with a photo showing the 'Hornby version' with a late crest, the answer is quite probably "No".

Here is my review thingy ma bob of the BR Early Crest D16 no. 62530

Hope everyone likes and enjoys.

Nice camera work & a very well presented video.  You have the patience of a saint doing that when most of us just want to play with it!

Just a couple of points - the whistle is actually plastic (although the safety valves are indeed metal) and it does NOT have a 'coreless' motor - it's just an ordinary 3-pole 'can' motor, albeit fully sealed/enclosed. But for the sake of accuracy, the two are entirely different.

I'm trying to work out why Hornby decided to change the grey lining on the steps to red lining along the running plate angle and back to grey were it dips behind the bufferbeam. If it is down to lack of space, then grey lining throughout would be more accurate and sensible. It's a neat model otherwise. 

Nice camera work & a very well presented video.  You have the patience of a saint doing that when most of us just want to play with it!

Just a couple of points - the whistle is actually plastic (although the safety valves are indeed metal) and it does NOT have a 'coreless' motor - it's just an ordinary 3-pole 'can' motor, albeit fully sealed/enclosed. But for the sake of accuracy, the two are entirely different.

Thanks for putting that straight. Read it was a coreless motor earlier in the thread. I would be playing with it but am currently moving house so track and controller are all boxed up. Can wait to get it going though!

• RMweb Gold

The only two I have found photographic proof of with the late crest are 62613 (as above) and 62618 - but unfortunately neither are correct for the Hornby version, both retaining their original decorative valances & different cab and both being fitted with the larger boiler (this larger boiler was generally fitted to the 1923 re-built batch - from D16/2  ...I.e. 62611 onwards).

62543 is another but I've no idea how close to the Hornby variant this is.

https://flic.kr/p/fwtyAM

• RMweb Premium

In Peter Swinger's On Great Eastern Lines there are two photos of Hornby-type 16/3s with the late crest, both at Hunstanton - 62597 in August 1959 and 62516 in the summer of 1958.   62543 retained the old-style valancing. 

• RMweb Gold

In Peter Swinger's On Great Eastern Lines there are two photos of Hornby-type 16/3s with the late crest, both at Hunstanton - 62597 in August 1959 and 62516 in the summer of 1958.   62543 retained the old-style valancing. 

Managed to get hold of a copy or rather will be when it arrives ;)

I am resisting temptation, despite the models's charms, (the cash is designated for real O2s and J50s). To the best of my knowledge the last four coupled tender type to see service on the ECML KX-Hatfield was the Midland compound on a special in 1960, and this after a gap of several years, since the withdrawal and final special runs of the Ivatt atlantics. It was all six coupled types from Cambridge from the 1950s to the end of steam, sadly. Unless someone can produce evidence otherwise?

• RMweb Gold

I am resisting temptation, despite the models's charms, (the cash is designated for real O2s and J50s). To the best of my knowledge the last four coupled tender type to see service on the ECML KX-Hatfield was the Midland compound on a special in 1960, and this after a gap of several years, since the withdrawal and final special runs of the Ivatt atlantics. It was all six coupled types from Cambridge from the 1950s to the end of steam, sadly. Unless someone can produce evidence otherwise?

4 did survive into 1960...

Hornby does two types of D16/3 so it is worth noting if your model had pistol valves (convex shaped framing at front on weathered model).

Good point, Larry.  In fact there were umpteen variations of the D16/3, resulting from different builds, rebuilds, partial rebuilds, re-boilerings and so on. With regard to the Hornby engines, the lined BR version and the 'British Railways' version are slide valve engines and the 'weathered' version and the LNER one represent locos rebuilt with piston valves.

For anyone wanting to alter their model to a specific prototype I would recommend getting hold of the relevant Yeadons and also 'Locomotives of the LNER Part 3C' - both of which have been invaluable to me. Also the Rail UK web site has invaluable notes regarding individual locomotives.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Good point, Larry.  In fact there were umpteen variations of the D16/3, resulting from different builds, rebuilds, partial rebuilds, re-boilerings and so on. With regard to the Hornby engines, the lined BR version and the 'British Railways' version are slide valve engines and the 'weathered' version and the LNER one represent locos rebuilt with piston valves.

For anyone wanting to alter their model to a specific prototype I would recommend getting hold of the relevant Yeadons and also 'Locomotives of the LNER Part 3C' - both of which have been invaluable to me. Also the Rail UK web site has invaluable notes regarding individual locomotives.

Don

Rail UK is very handy website for info. I do wonder if there is anyone out there that will attempt to recreate the head on collision between 62523 and 524 in model form...

• Like 1