Walton on the hill 27E Liverpool, EM gauge.

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Gold

I didnt actually answer your question, 20 boards,when assembled 24ft x 8ft, continious run, although the sizes are still on the beer mat drawing board so not set in stone just yet. the 6 boards that contain the coal yard/goods yard on the front of the layout which is only 3 sidings wont be very wide.

Im debating on using clips rather than coach bolts and wing nuts although that can only be on the fiddle yard as I cant use them on the doubled up scenic boards.

Hi Michael,

When you build the baseboards, try to keep a space of a couple of inches under each signal clear of obstructions for the servo motors!

It'll make installation so much easier if there are no cross-beams or point motors etc. to work round.

I've been looking at the design of the signal with a sighting board.

The LMS drawings show two posts, usually side by side, but one behind the other if necessary.

That might be just where a home and distant are used, to keep the wind load under control.

Do you know if your signal will require twin posts, or was only a single post used because there was only one sighting board?

Its not clear to me on the photo you provided.

Steve.

Im not sure to be honest Steve as all the shots I have of it are too far away. To me it looks like the sighting board is hung from the signal post, unless the post is there but painted black with the bottom of it painted white, opposite to the signal post?

post-27-0-08475600-1391387561.jpg

post-27-0-05417600-1391390769_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-95657700-1391387174_thumb.jpg

This shot in 1950 shows the original CLC lower quadrant.

post-27-0-09854200-1391387142_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The sighting board on the UQ signal appears to be a standard LMS type. IIRC they were fitted to the post on two strips of angle or channel section.

The distant signal at Georges Road in the top post on this page appears to have the remains of a sighting board bracket.

http://forum.signalbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1193&p=12715&hilit=sighting+board#p12715

As for the double post option, this example at St Albans showed another variation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martin_addison/4859465983/.

This is a much higher signal than Walton and in the open, so the wind loading would be a lot greater. This signal also had a distant arm underneath at one time. The reason for putting the second post behind the signal was due to restricted clearances to the sidings which used to be there. Note the weight bar is high up with a second ladder to get to it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Im not sure to be honest Steve as all the shots I have of it are too far away. To me it looks like the sighting board is hung from the signal post, unless the post is there but painted black with the bottom of it painted white, opposite to the signal post?

attachicon.gifsignal.JPG

attachicon.gifimg013b.JPG

attachicon.gif1462175_10152252671237741_1648675781_n.jpg

This shot in 1950 shows the original CLC lower quadrant.

attachicon.gifclc walton m v2.jpg

I remember walking down that platform when I bunked the shed in 1961. Sadly i didn't take any pictures.

• Like 1

Ive made a start on some track, one of the main running lines had flatbottom rail with BR1 spiked baseplates so I have been building some of this from Colin Craig, it is fiddly and has taken a little bit of experiment and thought to get a production line going, luckily there wasnt much of this on the area that will be modelled, from the distance of the coaling stage to the subway on one running line.

Each baseplate is made up of 2 pieces which fold up to make the baseplate, this is fiddly as when folding its easy to damage, Ive found the best way is to glue the sleepers down with pva,  tin the top of them, tin the bottom of the rail and put solder paste in the baseplate, then when assembled touch the top of the rail with my Resistance soldering Iron and it all solders together.

Then bend up the spikes, putting some bras wire inbetween while bending them to get the curve of the spike then removing the brass wire.

post-27-0-13501500-1391643935_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-29355800-1391643961_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-72613400-1391643975_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-77501400-1391643999_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-70924800-1391644019_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-50112700-1391644039_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-80779900-1391644051_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Nice signals John.

I dont dare go near the chairs with a fibreglass brush or even a toothbrush, the spikes are very delicate and will just ping off. Ill give the track a spray of primer when I have shaved the centre of the copper on the sleepers away with a cutting disc.

Just making up some more chairs for when I do the next panel, folding them takes some care so that they bend correctly , because they are tags to fold back on themselves its easy to get them wonky or bend them too far or not enough. 

Give em a rub flat...then burnish the rail and sleepers. Once done dunk the lot in hot water.

Nice signals John.

I dont dare go near the chairs with a fibreglass brush or even a toothbrush, the spikes are very delicate and will just ping off. Ill give the track a spray of primer when I have shaved the centre of the copper on the sleepers away with a cutting disc.

Just making up some more chairs for when I do the next panel, folding them takes some care so that they bend correctly , because they are tags to fold back on themselves its easy to get them wonky or bend them too far or not enough.

Thanks David , there will be some concrete sleepered track too but with bullhead rail on the opposite running line, can see that in some of the prototype shots, it will be c&l sleepers and chairs although I am a little concerned about rtr flanges I use hitting c&l chairs. I am yet to order it.

Edited by Michael Delamar

• RMweb Premium

I am a little concerned about rtr flanges I use hitting c&l chairs. I am yet to order it.

Shouldn't be a problem. Chris Nevard's recent layouts have used chaired track with rtr stock and he seems to manage ok!

David

• Like 1