Walton on the hill 27E Liverpool, EM gauge.

Michael Delamar

I think it says 5x1 on both of them but its not very clear, but 2mm seems to match up to my drawing of the internal concrete strusses, they are not shown on those drawings they just show the outer roof and glazing. I did try with other sizes but they didnt match up.

post-27-0-76100100-1393982244.jpg

The lower part isnt that straightforward as the 2 centre ones were winged so they didnt foul the strusses, this is one of the reasons I am thinking on etched brass or nickel so it can be bent and has strength. ill add all those battens too.

post-27-0-99395300-1393982323_thumb.jpg

One reason for missing boards could be that they were constantly going between hot/cold/wet/dry, wouldn't do even the best wood any favours, in earlier days they would have been repaired and replaced.

I think these were a cheap option as I have a drawing from 1950 2 years earlier for new concrete chutes and chimneys and a 6 road shed. Also got drawings for the original cheshire lines shed which was a very ornate wooden 6 road shed with roller doors.

Also got drawings for the original cheshire lines shed which was a very ornate wooden 6 road shed with roller doors.

I thought the original (CLC -1881) shed was of brick construction and 4 roads?

Also roller doors? - very unusual if not unique (and expensive) for the period. Was that plan on paper ever put into reality or was it just a proposal, is there a date on it? As far as I am aware the structure was always brick (including the 1885 2 road extension) which could well have been on the original plan 4 years earlier.

looking at them again (I only glanced at them) its not the main doors and probably a proposal as they say "extension of engine shed" on them no dates on them. The concrete one I am modelling dates from 1923. there is a few drawings I had to ignore as they are similar but proposed drawings.

post-27-0-29827400-1394127052_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-20433300-1394127173_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I wonder if that was a proposed timber extension along the existing 4 tracks of the original brick shed? Even the sliding roll-around doors would have been quite an innovation for a loco shed. Though of course that design was in use for many a barn door but straight along the wall. Shame about no date.

Some clarity on why the rebuild from brick to concrete in 1923 would interest me. Was this an entire rebuild of the then 6 track shed or was it more of a cladding exercise?

looking at the TIFF files I could zoom right in for a date, thats still not to say this was built, it was supported by iron girders inside.

post-27-0-14759600-1394142275_thumb.jpg

the rebuild was a total rebuild, nothing left inside, when the brick shed office was demolished which was part of the shed it left behind its brick wall supporting the shed, that was the only part of brick on the shed

can see one of the wooden shed offices in the 1927 shot in this link.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/features/walton_on_hill_shed/index.shtml

edit, reading that link the shed was extended in 1885 to 6 roads so maybe that is what the drawings are for.

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 1

edit, reading that link the shed was extended in 1885 to 6 roads so maybe that is what the drawings are for.

The date confirms that it is too late for the original shed.

That was along the lines I was thinking. May well have been a proposal put to CLC for consideration but they decided on going down the more useful enlargement to 6 roads in brick. The timing is perfect. Would be interesting to see if such a decision was minuted and recorded by the board.

• 2 weeks later...

recently I stuck together all the Templot prints and tonight I took them down to the club to see what it looks like in full scale, Im happy with it, I only had my phone to take a few snaps.

post-27-0-26053600-1395189599_thumb.jpg

once a lot of the clubmembers went home we placed it on the boards for their new Corwen layout so that we could work out the fiddle yard curves.

post-27-0-63599300-1395189690_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I had a nice weekend at Alexandra palace, stocked up on some supplies, the 4fs I managed to get before the scrum, nice bargain.

post-27-0-78504900-1395669522_thumb.jpg

Also chatting to Graham Hubbard of Bachmann, he said he went to Walton on the hill in the early 60s, I asked him what he saw there, usual suspects but a couple of interesting ones,  a Bescot Stanier Mogul and one of Edge hills Super Ds. I was pleased to hear that as I have a super D and always liked them but didnt think they would have got here or on the CLC, I did think if so it must have been rare. so an excuse to run mine on the layout.

• Like 2

That flows well....

recently I stuck together all the Templot prints and tonight I took them down to the club to see what it looks like in full scale, Im happy with it, I only had my phone to take a few snaps.

attachicon.gifLiverpool-20140318-02318.jpg

once a lot of the clubmembers went home we placed it on the boards for their new Corwen layout so that we could work out the fiddle yard curves.

attachicon.gifLiverpool-20140318-02328.jpg

• Like 1

work will start soon, again I cant set it  up until after our show when we have a reorganise of the clubroom.

also recently ordered 4 boxes of 10 x1 metre length SMP track, the Dolgellau lads were ordering their track for their new layout so we got a nice discount for ordering in bulk.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...