Walton on the hill 27E Liverpool, EM gauge.

Michael Delamar

Ive decided to build the fiddle yard baseboards now, I was debating on doing some trackwork first but id rather get the fiddle yard woodwork out of the way now. This means i will have to take the scenic boards down for now as I dont have the space. But once the fiddle yard is done they can be stored underneath the scenic boards. While down the baseboard leg adjusters will be fitted to the scenic boards although I havent decided on what style i want to use yet. The fiddle yard boards will be 5 boards 2ft by 5ft. Same construction as the scenic boards although the 3 centre ones will be used to store the stock in transit with a folding lid as Kier Hardy does on his layout with aluminum angle for the straight track.. http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/layout_operators10.html

post-27-0-98455500-1424476312_thumb.jpg

So tonight we've started on the dowels and ends of the connecting boards to the fiddle yard before the scenic boards are taken down.

post-27-0-56154700-1424476402_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-34909300-1424476419_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks Martin, just been and got all the wood for the fiddle yards including the aluminium angle, being DCC i wont be able to have the angles touching each other they'll need a slight gap between them

Mike,

Insulating tape down the sides of the angle is a good idea. It stops shorts when the bits of angle touch, and it stops you getting all warm and tingly when you touch both sides of the angled track at once.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress on the fiddle yard boards, while it doesnt look a lot the ends for the boards with their pattern makers dowels have taken a few club nights to do. Thats the hardest part and they are all done and line up nice and level. Next part is to secure them to the board tops then do the sides. The legs are also done and ready.

post-27-0-89355700-1425424010_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-12521000-1425423869_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-99033200-1425424047_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I sometimes look at threads like this and think "They have the space for a big layout, lucky bug*ers", but then I look at the work involved and think "thank god for my 8ft x 1ft shunting plank.

Keep going Mike, your workmanship and dedication is impressive and invigorating.

Phil

• Like 1

Some more progress on the fiddle yard boards, while it doesnt look a lot the ends for the boards with their pattern makers dowels have taken a few club nights to do. Thats the hardest part and they are all done and line up nice and level. Next part is to secure them to the board tops then do the sides. The legs are also done and ready.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Excellent work. You are right the hardest part is getting the end boards level and the rest follows from there.

• 2 weeks later...

A new aquisition, a EM gauge Bachmann class 9 from Tim Easter, lovely runner ive been testing it on Crown Street over the weekend. Copperclad tiebars are only temporary.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Knowing you are a bit of an innovator, how are you going to do the stretcher bars (tie bars), Mike?

Phil

I havent decided yet Phil, point motors will be servos however.

I'd be most interested to know your thoughts when you get round to them

I'm trying to find some stretcher bars, and am thinking of Ambis or Masokits, but the Masokits one only seem to be available as P4, which for an EM modeller doesn't help much!

Phil

I'd be most interested to know your thoughts when you get round to them

I'm trying to find some stretcher bars, and am thinking of Ambis or Masokits, but the Masokits one only seem to be available as P4, which for an EM modeller doesn't help much!

Phil

Just taken delivery of a package from Andy Reichert of Proto87. Inside are two samples of stretcher bars (he calls them throw bars), one with plastic tie bar material and one with copper clad, both have etched tie bar details and I suggest would be worth looking at.

In addition, I've also received one of Andy's point motors "The Mole" and will be taking it to the club tomorrow evening. I would suggest these are also worth a look as an alternative to a Tortoise. I'm not totally certain what the exchange rates are but according to Google, $12.95 equates to £8.75 which, even plus shipping, is a lot less than a tortoise.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Michael

Look what I found in one of my cutomers back gardens. She has quite a few railway signs and a LMS rual station seat in her garden. She thinks they belonged to her landlords father who lived in the house at one time.

post-16423-0-65908600-1429639909_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

First time i have been able to get down to the clubrooms in a while tonight and I only got a little bit done, The legs on on of the fiddle yard baseboards, still needs bracing.

post-27-0-78438000-1431462299_thumb.jpg

I was more pleased with a photograph one of the members brought in that his brother who worked at the shed had found in his family photos, Walton's only allocated diesel on shed, allocated from brand new and still in service today with Freightliner at Southampton.

post-27-0-07255100-1431462389_thumb.jpg

• Like 6