Walton on the hill 27E Liverpool, EM gauge.

Michael Delamar

I gave him a "drink" tip for doing it all as there was loads of 4" strips.

Last time I asked for 4" at BBQ I was tol d in no uncertain terms that they do not cut such small widths ... even for a bribe. Had to go to a proper timber merchant - even he didn't seem to understand what 4" was and cut to "nearest" +/- 5cm !

Good to see the birth of what will I'm sure be a an excellent layout based on a very interesting railway line many parts that are still in existence to this day. May I ask as to why you have gone for marine ply for the construction and not Birch ply which I have found to be a much better produce.

I look forward to seeing the based board construction in the future

My knowledge of wood quality isnt that good so Ive just gone on advice from people here or in our club, one of whom who will be helping with the board construction and recommended the timber merchant is a retired carpenter and pattern maker. It may be down to cost too, this stuff looks nice quality to me however.

• Like 1

I believe, though happy to be corrected, that the marine ply is a higher quality in both wood grain and more importantly the glue used to join and seal the layers. It is near damp proof and less susceptible to warping. A lot of ply sold by the big chains is badly stored and little better than shuttering ply (the stuff you see around building sites or boarding up broken windows in derelict properties) splinters as soon as you show it a saw and full of gaps and small sheets between the two outer layers. These laminations are almost designed to fail with time - accelerated by moisture which is absorbed and expands the inner layers.

I'm afraid you get what you pay for - as so often.

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

I guess that will speed things up a bit in the build, its going to be an interesting layout for sure and as the photos suggest, there is now nothing to be seen that it ever existed re development etc.

cheers

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

nothing worth reporting on the baseboards at the moment, Ive only been doing some cutting of wood to make a start on the sandwich pieces. Nothing exciting.

Little bit of research however, Ive been told that this book is Walton on the front cover with a Gresley A1 on shed in the 1930s. One ill have to get hold of. The same person who told me about this thinks he may have seen a shot of the turntable too.

post-27-0-99964500-1401646900.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive made a start on the boards tonight after getting a forstner bit for the baseboard dowels.

post-27-0-21972700-1403911216_thumb.jpg

All the time tonight was spent making jigs for cutting and drilling.

First this one we made to cut the end pieces as this is the only cutter we have, vicious looking thing but 2 of us took care with, holding the piece to be cut in the jig and move it along. we tidied up before we got on with cutting 20 end pieces. The end pieces had to be cut to the right length first before the holes for the dowels were done.

post-27-0-43435100-1403911269_thumb.jpg

Then I bolted a piece of chipboard to my pillar drill, then screwed a jig for holding the end boards in while drilling the holes for the dowels, the dowels snap in lovely but its taken all night to get this jig set up as it has to be spot on. Now that its set up next time Im there ill be able to get on with drilling and fitting all the dowels then sandwiching the end boards.

post-27-0-14870000-1403911294_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-14107000-1403911441_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-06450200-1403911307_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Some homework to do...

The dowels are all set up, in their pairs and marked for this, also marked the way up they go.

Its just sandwiching them up now, screw and gluing. These are a fraction under 3ft long with the gaps between them approx 5 inches. They all fit together well and flush at the top. Ive made a start on one but it will take too long at the clubrooms to do on a clubnight so i have brought them home for something to do at home.

The only thing I may do is space out the 2 centre pieces which will have the coach bolts through, 5 inches just seems close even though its the dowels that make it fit. Ill drill those holes out on the pillar drill once they are sandwiched together.

Im also going to have the top board overhang these by approx 1mm.

post-27-0-06951200-1404423883_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Doesnt look like much but these connecting pieces take a while to do, with the gluing clamping and screwing, making sure they are square and true. Some of the blocks for the bolt holes were done by eye so dont match the others but that isnt a problem, they match their own pair which is the important thing.

I can only do these of a weekend at the moment while Im away with work.

The pieces on the top are for the ends which dont need bolt but Ive ran out of cut blocks at the moment.

post-27-0-71780200-1405164175_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit of research however, Ive been told that this book is Walton on the front cover with a Gresley A1 on shed in the 1930s. One ill have to get hold of. The same person who told me about this thinks he may have seen a shot of the turntable too.

attachicon.gifPB170404.JPG

Hi there,

Been lurking so far. Just had a catch up and this front cover photo caught my eye (as you might imagine!) Presumably taken on Grand National special day (note the reporting numbers on the smokebox fronts). There is a picture in one of my research books of a Gresley A1 heading north through Grantham with an Aintree special (full Pullman train) so one can deduce that such locos worked such trains throughout. Interesting.

Loving the laser cut shed, that really is a work of art. :good:

• Like 1