Railroad Crosti 9F

Unknown Warrior

Having heard of the recent problems with the delivery of a very small number of Hornbys model of Exeter.......had I better choose a local supplier and get a pre order placed for a Crosti model.?

I'm not used to pre ordering....and in fact used Hattons for the first time ever, to get a Beyer Garratt just a couple of months ago because they seemed to be flying off the shelves.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Having heard of the recent problems with the delivery of a very small number of Hornbys model of Exeter.......had I better choose a local supplier and get a pre order placed for a Crosti model.?

I'm not used to pre ordering....and in fact used Hattons for the first time ever, to get a Beyer Garratt just a couple of months ago because they seemed to be flying off the shelves.

Bob

It's a bit of a lottery,Bob,to be honest.Whom would you consider your local supplier to be ? I have a problem with that.There is no retailer within easy travelling distance I would implicitly trust to deliver the goods.

If you are prepared to go down the mail order route with a pre order,I can recommend the ever dependable Kernow...a retailer with impeccable integrity.I don't think the performance with R3115 will be repeated.The Crosti is an entirely new design. There were other factors in play with Exeter ,I think.

I think I will wait until the model is released.One other reliable mail order retailer who attends most shows is Hereford Model Centre. They test locos before posting. Pre ordering has its pitfalls,as we have just seen. The moral is to be quick on your feet if you know it's going to be scarce.

Some superb pictures of the latest version of the Crosti 9F's at Warley, taken by Jaike Annetts (big thanks to him for letting me share them on here) :good: . It appears that the BR late version, '92023' has reached the decoration stage and I must say looks stunning!  :locomotive: The Early sample by the looks of it is still un-decorated. Just wish I could of been there myself!  :boast: Again massive thanks to Jaike for letting me share this pics! Check out his FB page for all his latest on his railway, plus more images from the Hornby stand at Warley! :declare:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/679160535430477/

post-20663-0-32727300-1416695244_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-29484900-1416695251_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-91940200-1416695262_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Some superb pictures of the latest version of the Crosti 9F's at Warley, taken by Jaike Annetts (big thanks to him for letting me share them on here) :good: . It appears that the BR late version, '92023' has reached the decoration stage and I must say looks stunning!  :locomotive: The Early sample by the looks of it is still un-decorated. Just wish I could of been there myself!  :boast: Again massive thanks to Jaike for letting me share this pics! Check out his FB page for all his latest on his railway, plus more images from the Hornby stand at Warley! :declare:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/679160535430477/

By the look of both Crosti's you would not believe they are Railroad products, is this a new era for Hornby ????

Stunning models which goes to show they can do it, all that's needed now is for Hornby to sort their distrubution and retailer allocation policy. 

By the look of both Crosti's you would not believe they are Railroad products, is this a new era for Hornby ????

Stunning models which goes to show they can do it, all that's needed now is for Hornby to sort their distrubution and retailer allocation policy. 

Being devil's advocate again, maybe Hornby do not want to sort their retailer allocation policy?

Maybe they wish to maximise the amount of money they make on each item by selling them direct at RRP, rather than allow retailers to take a cut?

Just a thought.

Being devil's advocate again, maybe Hornby do not want to sort their retailer allocation policy?

Maybe they wish to maximise the amount of money they make on each item by selling them direct at RRP, rather than allow retailers to take a cut?

Just a thought.

I think your point is very valid considering the recent fiasco, it is now obvious that the new CEO and his team at Hornby don't give a toss about the retailers and customers who have supported their products in the past, remember brand loyalty stretches both ways.

Hornby really do need to make a statement on what their sales and distribution policy will be in the short to medium term so that there are no further misunderstandings or dissapointment !!!!

• RMweb Premium

The future of Hornby Railroad is interesting. Originally it seemed to be a way of offering low cost models to the trainset market and as basic offerings for those who enjoy conversion and detailing projects utilising old pre-China Hornby and Lima tooling. The newer Railroad models are now offering slightly de-spec models that are obviously pitched at the model market and are good enough for many enthusiasts. At the same time the main range seems to be like a rabbit in the headlights trying to decide whether to retain elements of design clever or return to all out detail (eg. the King). Maybe Railroad will become what design clever was meant to be? Or there will be a three tier range, economy Railroad pitched at the cost sensitive end of the market but nevertheless real scale models, the main range balancing detail and cost to try and hit a sweet spot and a halo range?

PS. I hate to start talking about trainset toys,serious models etc as the gap between people following the track mat approach to a 6 x 4 layout based on a trainset and fine scale modellers is trivial compared to the huge gulf between both groups (and all in between) and the majority of the people out there who think all of us are a bit nuts.

• RMweb Premium

the majority of the people out there who think all of us are a bit nuts.

Nothing compared to those weirdos attending that fantasy show at the NEC at the same time surely? :jester:

You should have heard some of the conversations on the train! :scratchhead:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

hmmmm, thanks for those Andy, backs up my thoughts on '023

That deflector is not right, it's fine for all the others, but not 023

I am not convinced that there should be a lighting up chimney handrail on the left hand side, all the photos I have found show just the handrail on the RHS. There are no "smokebox" side steps leading up on the LHS either, so why the handrail at the top?

The only photo that I have found of '023 it's that filthy you can't tell if it has a late logo or not.

Hornby would have been better modelling '021 which definitely had a late logo before going into rebuild and had a conventional deflector. I passed this feedback onto Simon K at Warley, but I'm not expecting anything to change at this late stage :(

hmmmm, thanks for those Andy, backs up my thoughts on '023

That deflector is not right, it's fine for all the others, but not 023

I am not convinced that there should be a lighting up chimney handrail on the left hand side, all the photos I have found show just the handrail on the RHS. There are no "smokebox" side steps leading up on the LHS either, so why the handrail at the top?

The only photo that I have found of '023 it's that filthy you can't tell if it has a late logo or not.

Hornby would have been better modelling '021 which definitely had a late logo before going into rebuild and had a conventional deflector. I passed this feedback onto Simon K at Warley, but I'm not expecting anything to change at this late stage :(

I sure hope the change it too, if that's the cast. Really would let down a stunning model! I'm interested to see what the non-defector funnel side looks like  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

If you are all so desperate for a Crosti build a DJH one!

Like the DoG and P2 Hornby should be applauded for producing a model of something which was built in small numbers and used for a short time in the state modelled. If it needs renumbering that won't take any time at all.

Edited by Barry O

This model is superb, I can even put up with the old railroad type leading bogie which Hornby aren't obviously going to change as it appears to be a late pre-production variant. But please lets have the NEM couplings rather than the hideous old style type as promised. Can anyone please confirm that it will still be powered by a 5 pole motor as previously stated/advertised ???

Thank you again Andy for the piccies....... :thankyou:

• RMweb Gold

yep, that's the only photo of '023 that I have found in it's original form, like I said, you can't see any logo on the lender :lol:

From what I am lead to believe that the longer deflector was an experiment to see if it made a better job of covering the fireman in soot than the normal version ;)

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of the handrail (ok I know it's only a handrail that can be easily removed :) )

It's difficult tracking down images in the internet of the LHS of a full Crosti as the focus of attention was always the RHS with the funny chimney and deflector but I have found this one

http://railwayherald.com/images/ic/750/160034.jpg

There are also photos of ex-works locos showing no handrail that I can't publish here due to copyright issues. 

Again, no hard evidence that '023 did not have the handrail, but others certainly didn't have one

• RMweb Gold

Bottom photo on page 41 of Locomotives in Detail (Riddles Class 9F), shows 90023 and it's longer deflector quite nicely. There are also a few pics of the LHS of the Crusty's - (sorry Crosti's) none of which show a handrail on that side.

Edited by toboldlygo

Nothing compared to those weirdos attending that fantasy show at the NEC at the same time surely? :jester:

You should have heard some of the conversations on the train! :scratchhead:

Keith

Didn't get time to go to Warley as I was at the comic-con all weekend (dressed as dr who no.7). We're not ALL bad.... Apart from the bloke dressed as the little mermaid.... He didn't have the figure for it, I'll leave it at that.

Looking at the photos, I'm seriously tempted by this Crosti now. Is there a correct etched deflector available for 023? If not, I may end up going for the other example

Edited by 60800

Oh dear,

Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id 1879315, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby R3273 Class 9F 2-10-0 with Crosti boiler in BR black with early emblem - Railroad range £111.20

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Wednesday 27th May 2015

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

Regards

Retail Team
Hattons Model Railways
www.ehattons

S**t

Peter C.