Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Mick

Have you got a better picture of the converted saw horses please? I'm thinking this is a good idea for Oak Road.

Cheers

Mike 

Hi Mike,

Sorry not got any pictures to hand. I'll have a look when I get home.

Cheers,

Mick

I just noticed that you had the holes for locating dowels cut in the joining faces.  Did you go for the Mould Maker's Dowels or Tim's wooden ones?

Regards, Julian.

If it helps I'm just fitting some to my latest project, they're C&L ones which look very similar or the same to the ones listed above.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102560-lynton-barnstaple-railway-project-board-building/?p=2528695

Sorry Mr newbryford for a minor highjack, especially a non diesel one...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks mate

Hi Mike,

The legs are currently hidden away in the garage, but I've managed to crop some pics.

The sawhorses are sold in pairs. These are marketed under the Black and Decker brans and bought from B&Q

They have a piece of plywood screwed directly to the leg to extend the height.

post-408-0-99154100-1481233001_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-60332300-1481232925_thumb.jpg

The plywood is shaped along the top edge (or an extra piece added) so that the layout simply drops onto it

post-408-0-81845600-1481232924_thumb.jpg

They are reasonably lightweight and fold flat.

With most of today's exhibitions being held in sports halls and the like, I didn't feel the need to fit height adjusters. If any adjustment is required, I revert to the good old fashioned method and place a piece of plywood under the offending leg(s). If I need more adjustment, I use two pieces.... simples and cheap.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

The legs are currently hidden away in the garage, but I've managed to crop some pics.

The sawhorses are sold in pairs. These are marketed under the Black and Decker brans and bought from B&Q

They have a piece of plywood screwed directly to the leg to extend the height.

attachicon.gifDSC_0514s.jpg

attachicon.giflegs2.jpg

The plywood is shaped along the top edge (or an extra piece added) so that the layout simply drops onto it

attachicon.giflegs.jpg

They are reasonably lightweight and fold flat.

With most of today's exhibitions being held in sports halls and the like, I didn't feel the need to fit height adjusters. If any adjustment is required, I revert to the good old fashioned method and place a piece of plywood under the offending leg(s). If I need more adjustment, I use two pieces.... simples and cheap.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick

Really helpful. Will save weight on the wooden legs!

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Dl has been set up for use as a test track for some work-related stuff I'm doing/ (Lucky me = being paid to play with model railways...)

First of all, before setting it up, the opportunity was taken to actually see how big it was when packed away. This is in relation to van hire when it goes to exhibitions.

post-408-0-54937900-1482967772_thumb.jpg

Overall, it's 8' x 5' x 4.5'. There will be stock boxes to add to this, along with other ancillaries, such as lighting rigs, operator chairs and a work table. It could be a tight fit into a standard Transit, but for safety, I'll go for the next one up

Whilst it's assembled for the next few weeks, I'll also be working on the upgrade to the controls - using DCC Concepts Alpha Switch, encoder and SNX sniffer systems to control the points for the front scenic sections, as well as adding a DCC power booster to separate the layout into two power districts. (You may recall that I had issues with overloading my Lenz system at it's test exhibition)

Hopefully, more pics of the new controls soon.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

Guest Digital

Look forward to seeing the upgrades to the the controls with DCC Concepts excellent control range.

Should make very interesting reading.

John

Dl has been set up for use as a test track for some work-related stuff I'm doing/ (Lucky me = being paid to play with model railways...)

First of all, before setting it up, the opportunity was taken to actually see how big it was when packed away. This is in relation to van hire when it goes to exhibitions.

attachicon.gifDL packed.jpg

Whilst it's assembled for the next few weeks, I'll also be working on the upgrade to the controls - using DCC Concepts Alpha Switch, encoder and SNX sniffer systems to control the points for the front scenic sections, as well as adding a DCC power booster to separate the layout into two power districts. (You may recall that I had issues with overloading my Lenz system at it's test exhibition)

Cheers,

Mick

And in English this means?..............................

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Cheers,

Mick

And in English this means?..............................

The first step is to create the mimic diagram for the layout.

Thanks to Chris M and his adept powerpoint skills, I now have an A3 sized panel layout.

post-408-0-78145700-1483918443_thumb.jpg

This will be printed and laminated and used as the main plan for layout control.

Not only does it cater for pointwork, I will also have DCC controlled lighting functions on the layout - the yard floodlights, shed lights and office lights.

There will be pushbuttons for all the points which will connect into DCC Concepts Alpha switch-D units. These will be then connected to a two Alpha encoder boards (They are 12 channel units - I need 19 with the DCC controlled lighting functions)

The Alpha encoders are then connected to a Alpha SNX that creates a completely stand alone 1A rated DCC accessory bus. The existing DCC accessory bus is currently connected to the main Lenz powered track bus. This will now be reconnected and powered from the SNX/encoder setup

For Nobby - All will become clear as I build and wire the panel.

The plan is also to power up the points on the end curved boards (that should keep Jack happy) using Cobalt Digital IP motors. They will be fed directly from the SNX powered accessory bus.

It just depends on how quickly I can build the woodwork for the panel....

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 6

Mick....that is the most depressing post I've ever read.........lol. You are so knowledgeable with this part of our hobby you put myself to shame.......God I would love to understand all that you are saying there. Think I shall end up just admiring from a distance  ;)

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing this layout soon  :sungum:

I'm looking at your track diagram and translating it into 1970s 1:1 scale RTC in my head.  :D

It looks pretty darn good to me and I can't wait to see it in the wood, plastic and metal at the Showcase later in the year.

I see your Road No 1 goes right around and presumably ends up in the fiddle yard, so does it go right through the EDU or is it an extra road around the outside of the buildings?

We should have had a track like that which went right across London Rd so we had a short cut to the Carriage and Wagon Works!  :D

Mick....that is the most depressing post I've ever read.........lol. You are so knowledgeable with this part of our hobby you put myself to shame.......God I would love to understand all that you are saying there. Think I shall end up just admiring from a distance ;)

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing this layout soon :sungum:

Bul#@%&t baffles brains! (Well mine anyway)

When it gets explained to me I will just nod at the right places and say oh yes...Mmmmmmm ...ok...!

It works coz it does!

Who knew mick could speak Greek.

Cool diagram...

G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm looking at your track diagram and translating it into 1970s 1:1 scale RTC in my head.  :D

It looks pretty darn good to me and I can't wait to see it in the wood, plastic and metal at the Showcase later in the year.

I see your Road No 1 goes right around and presumably ends up in the fiddle yard, so does it go right through the EDU or is it an extra road around the outside of the buildings?

We should have had a track like that which went right across London Rd so we had a short cut to the Carriage and Wagon Works!  :D

I've looped round road 1 to add a bit of interest - it runs parallel to the up Long Eaton line, outside of the EDU.

I hope it lives up to your expectations at Showcase!

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

When it gets explained to me I will just nod at the right places and say oh yes...Mmmmmmm ...ok...!

It works coz it does!

Cool diagram...

G

Don't worry - once it's all built, all you have to worry about are pushbuttons - there won't be any joined up writing to read...........

Lucas will have no problem with it. 

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

The first step is to create the mimic diagram for the layout.

Thanks to Chris M and his adept powerpoint skills, I now have an A3 sized panel layout.

attachicon.gifDL plan.JPG

This will be printed and laminated and used as the main plan for layout control.

Not only does it cater for pointwork, I will also have DCC controlled lighting functions on the layout - the yard floodlights, shed lights and office lights.

There will be pushbuttons for all the points which will connect into DCC Concepts Alpha switch-D units. These will be then connected to a two Alpha encoder boards (They are 12 channel units - I need 19 with the DCC controlled lighting functions)

The Alpha encoders are then connected to a Alpha SNX that creates a completely stand alone 1A rated DCC accessory bus. The existing DCC accessory bus is currently connected to the main Lenz powered track bus. This will now be reconnected and powered from the SNX/encoder setup

For Nobby - All will become clear as I build and wire the panel.

The plan is also to power up the points on the end curved boards (that should keep Jack happy) using Cobalt Digital IP motors. They will be fed directly from the SNX powered accessory bus.

It just depends on how quickly I can build the woodwork for the panel....

Cheers,

Mick

So from reading through this Mick, my understanding is that your DCC power is then separate from your DCC accessories? 

MY mate bought an Alpha but he's just sold it to go down another route. I could've bought it for Oak Road but given the fact that there's only 8 points and 6 of those are switched in pairs, it made more sense just to use my PowerCab. Just out of interest (in case I've missed it), how are you controlling the signals?

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

So from reading through this Mick, my understanding is that your DCC power is then separate from your DCC accessories? 

MY mate bought an Alpha but he's just sold it to go down another route. I could've bought it for Oak Road but given the fact that there's only 8 points and 6 of those are switched in pairs, it made more sense just to use my PowerCab. Just out of interest (in case I've missed it), how are you controlling the signals?

Cheers

Mike

The Alpha is quite a large range and has various building blocks.

I'm using a Alpha sniffer that is a low power stand-alone DCC system. The inputs to this will be via an Alpha encoder. 

This will be totally separate from the DCC track - which is powered by a Lenz 100, although I will be adding an Alpha box as a DCC booster, as I have so many locos on at once.

I could hook into the Alpha box with my encoders and drive the accessories, but I wanted a completely stand alone system. They could easily be integrated later if I needed to.

The beauty of the Alpha sniffer and encoder is that you can have DCC control of accessories without having to go down the route of DCC track and locos.

The signals will be controlled via the main line operators, so will have a separate panel, which will be another encoder hooked into the Sniffer unit. 

All will become clear as I build the system.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

The Alpha is quite a large range and has various building blocks.

I'm using a Alpha sniffer that is a low power stand-alone DCC system. The inputs to this will be via an Alpha encoder. 

This will be totally separate from the DCC track - which is powered by a Lenz 100, although I will be adding an Alpha box as a DCC booster, as I have so many locos on at once.

I could hook into the Alpha box with my encoders and drive the accessories, but I wanted a completely stand alone system. They could easily be integrated later if I needed to.

The beauty of the Alpha sniffer and encoder is that you can have DCC control of accessories without having to go down the route of DCC track and locos.

The signals will be controlled via the main line operators, so will have a separate panel, which will be another encoder hooked into the Sniffer unit. 

All will become clear as I build the system.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks mate

I'll try and get up to see it - it'll be good to put a face to a name.

I've looped round road 1 to add a bit of interest - it runs parallel to the up Long Eaton line, outside of the EDU.

I hope it lives up to your expectations at Showcase!

Neat idea, a short cut to Spondon then? I could have used that as I lived there.  :D

It already has lived up to my expectations, having watched it progress from when you first asked me about some of detail stuff. It looks terrific already.  :good:

• RMweb Premium

It works coz it does!

Cool diagram...

G

G,

Just hope there's a socket to plug a kettle in. (& I mean one for making a brew !!) :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1