Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

Morning Mick,

Just caught sight of your new layout thread in ERs this morning, and although I'm an old f*rt steam fan, I still appreciate good modelling when I see it! I have a carer arriving at 7am to help get me ready for a n early appointment at Colchester General where they will check and adjust my recently acquired neck collar - yes, I'm afraid the bone cancer thought it a good idea to creep up my spine and crack up my C1 vertebra, hence my disappearing act on the 16th February when I was instructed to dial 999 and get blue-light transport in a head and neck restraint. Not going to give in though! I'll catch up later with this thread as I really did enjoy your previous efforts so don't be surprised to see a few ratings applied!

Hope you, the boss and our Colchester undergrad are all as well as your ice hockey team,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

A few more from another successful test session.

Showing the main line rising in front of the EDU shed.

attachicon.gifup13.jpg

Looking back to the EDU

attachicon.gifup14.jpg

And I couldn't resist a steam special.

attachicon.gifup15.jpg

Two of the team had a look over it and have come up with some good suggestions for scenic ideas to enhance the appearance of the layout. Also some operational ideas that should make it easier and better at exhibitions.

It'll be dismantled tomorrow night and the storage yards will go into .... errr.. store for a couple of months, whilst the scenic work kicks on.

Cheers,

Mick

What's that black thing then Mick?  Looks a bit out of place ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

What's that black thing then Mick?  Looks a bit out of place ;)

Don't worry, I have a green one that makes various hissing noises that sounds like boiling water and has a round chimbley thing on top of it

Cheers,

Mick

At least it isn't as bright as the other stuff and sunglasses are not required to look at it :mosking: :blind:

You'll change your tune when you see 37057 and 50007................

:locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry, I have a green one that makes various hissing noises that sounds like boiling water and has a round chimbley thing on top of it

Cheers,

Mick

You'll change your tune when you see 37057 and 50007................

:locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

Dear Mr Bryant

What were their numbers in real money days?

D6757, nice in green with a small yella?

D407, blue with no cables on the cab front?

Back to the green thingy, the round chimberly has to be made from copper or it won't be right for Mike. :no: :no:

That pic of 60047 shows it heading up the slope I mentioned earlier. It's almost exactly on the spot that E-Train stalled too.

That was before a bloke from the Power Box came running down the track to see why we were just standing there. Meanwhile the Power guys were rushing about trying to start more turbines....  :D

• Like 2

Hehehe, that fish pond brings back memories.  :D

Both Trevor Easton and I were keen modlellers, and we dabbled in radio control stuff in our APT days, one of which was a missile firing submarine..............

You're probably ahead of me already, but the punch line is '.....and the missile bounced off the ceiling of the canteen!'

• Like 6

Great work so far Mick. Liked the opening doors you posted earlier in the thread. One alternative to rotating brass rods and fishing weights might be the type of memory wire that contracts with a suitable charge applied to it.

Tim's boards really do work well from what I've observed, I intend to order mine from him when funds allow. Considering doing similar to you at a later date and having curved boards for possible future exhibition use (assuming anyone wants it exhibited of course!).

• RMweb Premium

As seen from over the fence at the Derby show last year - the sound of 4 20s going past the Roundhouse had some enthusiasts rushing out of the building !

Edited by Mike Bellamy
  • Like 1

The real ones will be going past the real Deadmans Lane this afternoon with the S Stock in tow. Moira box is shut so diverted via the main line. Should be fun as I can only run on the fast lines between Leicester and East Mids Parkway due to clearances.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As it was such a nice evening, I decided to set DL up on the decking to check out the new backboards. Fitted to blocks screwed into the main baseboard.

post-408-0-48882400-1459455012_thumb.jpg

The gap will be filled in very soon.

Whilst it was up, the opportunity was taken to do some gauging trials with a very special visitor.

post-408-0-74832300-1459455112_thumb.jpg

Next item is to make a start on the rear scene, with a coat of white paint.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 18