Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

Hello Mick

Would you mind me asking how the base boards have performed over the 2 years or so since you built them, please? I know the general method you used was not that un-common but your own interpretation of the method seems quite sensible.

If you were to start building another layout today would you use the same method? Needless to say I have been experimenting with different methods with variable results. [enough said].

Thanks

Derek

• RMweb Premium

Hello Mick

Would you mind me asking how the base boards have performed over the 2 years or so since you built them, please? I know the general method you used was not that un-common but your own interpretation of the method seems quite sensible.

If you were to start building another layout today would you use the same method? Needless to say I have been experimenting with different methods with variable results. [enough said].

Thanks

Derek

Hi Derek,

I presume you mean the front boards that I've built, rather than the Tim Horn laser cut ones?

The boards have been up and down a few times and always gone together each time with the track staying aligned. But that's been in the comfort of a home environment. This coming weekend will see them transported in a van and assembled for the first time under full exhibition conditions. It's only after a few shows and chucking in and out (but not literally) of a van will it prove the board construction or otherwise. TBH though, I've every faith that there won't be any issues.

In parallel, I'll be monitoring the laser cut boards and if they're OK, then next time I'll have to make a decision based on cost/time/convenience as home built boards are cheaper to build but take more time than the laser cut boards that are more expensive, but quick to build (and straighter!)

Cheers,

mick

• RMweb Premium

DL was transported to a larger place today and completely set up for only the second time. Ta to Spike for providing his work's van.

Since it's last test session, there have been some additions to the wiring so that it needs less (as in none) temporary cabling. Quite pleased that it all worked first time.

It's also the first time powered up since ballasting and apart from a couple of stray stones, it too, is all well.

Here's a few taster pics of what is to come.

67027 and 37219 stabled in the sidings, whilst 153308 heads towards Nottingham

post-408-0-35137400-1472513633_thumb.jpg

A quick storage yard view with the MRAs finally getting a run out.

post-408-0-17156700-1472513634_thumb.jpg

And here's the heart of the storage yard route control. A Megapoints lashup with servo board, routing board and main control board

post-408-0-81662700-1472513634_thumb.jpg

The route setting is one button/one route.

post-408-0-54503200-1472513635_thumb.jpg

All worked perfectly after I'd managed to switch a couple of wires over from the initial installation - my fault for not reading the manual correctly!

Bradford Buffer turned up for a quick inspection and I think he's gone home reasonably happy to give it a proper run this coming weekend.

More work on it tomorrow (later today) and possibly a couple more pics.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14

After crossing border control and with passport in Hand. I conducted ASLEF operator inspection of deadmans lane For its up Comming 1st show at the Blackburn model railway show. With some concessions I've decided to grant it's operation.

Thanks for the hospitality and a play with your train set, see you Friday.....

Now off to play trains again but no Lenz controler required!.... F2 f2 f3 f2 woo woo! Regards G

• Like 1

Looking very nice indeed! Can't wait to operate it at its debut show...you've got nout to worry about Mick, it'll all be fine judging by how neat and methodical everything is, but be sure to bring a large persuading stick should you look like that on Saturday morn >> :angry:

What a great layout!

Jack.

Just for your information Mick, you may want to do a quick change of signage on DL as it seems Loram have bought RVEL...

http://www.loram.co.uk/2016/07/loram-complete-acquisition-of-rvel/

No idea whether they intend to change signage or whether it has already been carried out, or even if you've modelled the RVEL parts!

Jack

• RMweb Premium

Just for your information Mick, you may want to do a quick change of signage on DL as it seems Loram have bought RVEL...

http://www.loram.co.uk/2016/07/loram-complete-acquisition-of-rvel/

No idea whether they intend to change signage or whether it has already been carried out, or even if you've modelled the RVEL parts!

Jack

The RVEL sign on the EDU shed has been replaced with a Loram one.

I have a very distant photo.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

A few more taster pics following another operator training session.

First time I've fully powered up one of Rapido's specials..........

post-408-0-65153700-1472597007_thumb.jpg

More normal fare on a St Pancras-Derby (must do something about the corner brickwork.)

post-408-0-70873000-1472597010_thumb.jpg

Couldn't resist a pointy end line up. Which is the odd one out and why?

post-408-0-71448600-1472597020_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14

Couldn't resist a pointy end line up. Which is the odd one out and why?

attachicon.giftest2g.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Only one tilts.  :D

'Cos even if the Cross Country Voyager is a Super they switched the tilt systems off, spoilsports.  :nono:

It could be the middle one as it doesn't have any motive power though............... 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Only one tilts.  :D

'Cos even if the Cross Country Voyager is a Super they switched the tilt systems off, spoilsports.  :nono:

It could be the middle one as it doesn't have any motive power though............... 

There's more than one correct answer and you've got two of them.............

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

that 08 really needs a mini me driving it

It's on the to-do list................

But I also need you driving two Colas 37s, three DRS 37s, one NwR 97/3, one DBSO, riding in a 950, conducting a 73 and, and, and..............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

The voyager because all the rest were designed and built in Britain and represented the very best in their class at the time of construction.

The voyager was built out of a collection of parts sourced from the four corners of the World and is certainly not class leading.

• Like 2

DVT set because its the only push pull set out of the lot and the rest are classed DMU's?  :scratchhead:

maybe? correct me if i am wrong?

or the APT as its the only one not carrying a TOC/post privatisation livery

Edited by WCML100

The voyager because all the rest were designed and built in Britain and represented the very best in their class at the time of construction.

The voyager was built out of a collection of parts sourced from the four corners of the World and is certainly not class leading.

To narrow it down further, I believe all the others were built in Derby too.

EDIT: Oops, no 125 was Crewe wasn't it?

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

Layouts looking really good. Hope you have a great weekend.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon. likewise with your first show in a few weeks.

I just wish I could have got more work done on it, but it's a good "work in progress" and hopefully will generate a few questions from the visitors. At least I can be (fingers crossed) confident that it works after the last few days testing.

Here's a couple of pics from tonight's session.

post-408-0-86358400-1472773947_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-79120300-1472773948_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 18

Brilliant work as ever Mick! My layout, if you check the topic out, is going to have a very similar fiddle yard to yours but completely different scenic section. How would you recommend wiring it and making control panels? Would you recommend having an isolated control panel for all of the electronics (car lighting, building lighting, colour signals, points, street lights etc...) for the scenic section and then having a separate on for the fiddle yard? (To save on wiring length) or just have a master control panel?

Also, I'd love to know more about the copper joins between boards, I don't know very much about them.

Cheers,

Tom (Wigan Wallgate OO Gauge)