Deadmans Lane. Showing off at DEMU Showcase - June 2024

newbryford

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Are these 2 going to make an appearance on the finished layout ?!

Cheers,

Phil.

I have the van on my to-do list.

The truck may be an exercise in home-made decals.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick update.

Following the test session a few weeks ago, I've added in a bit of extra trackwork to make the layout operation more flexible. The previous dead end -  "road 1", next to the mainline has been extended around to the storage yard and an extra loop added - as per the other end. This extension should be mostly hidden by an overbridge representing the road into the Pride Park area

With the addition of the extra depth, an extra siding has also been added into the scenic area - this will represent the road/rail transfer siding to transport stuff in/out via a low loader. The plan is to make up a cameo scene using the Oxford Diecast heavy road trailer.

Ballasting is well underway, but I need to re-stock on a particular grade. Online order about to be placed. 

Work on the EDU building has commenced with application of the lower brick cladding - no photos yet though - apologies.

There has been a significant amount of planning of the backscene area, buildings and other details, but these are awaiting further local information and pictures, but there is a cunning plan in hand to fill in the gaps.

Point control for the storage yard is sorted, courtesy of Megapoints and their servo control systems, but this will only be progressed when I have significant gaps between working on the main scenic sections. Similarly for dedicated rolling stock with a couple of EMT 153s and a XC Voyager to be fitted up with DCC sound (and better lights for the 220). The signal for the down line has been sorted - thanks to a 3D print by Dave Pallant, but is one of those "fitted at the last minute" items, as it's location is in a delicate spot when I'm working on the rest of the layout.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

There has been a significant amount of planning of the backscene area, buildings and other details, but these are awaiting further local information and pictures, but there is a cunning plan in hand to fill in the gaps.

that sounds ominous!

Quick update.

Following the test session a few weeks ago, I've added in a bit of extra trackwork to make the layout operation more flexible. The previous dead end -  "road 1", next to the mainline has been extended around to the storage yard and an extra loop added -

That'll be 'Way & Works 1' then.  :D

Does it curve round a 1/76 version of the Power Box as it did in the old days?

Photos of the RTC from the Etches Lane side are remarkably infrequent, I've only ever seen one or two ever, which is rather odd considering how many people must have worked over there over time.  

Edited by Mr_Tilt

• RMweb Premium

"Significant amount of planning of the backscene area"

Sounds to me like Mick's been making sure there's somewhere to stand the Coffee mugs during exhibitions !!  :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

That'll be 'Way & Works 1' then.  :D

Does it curve round a 1/76 version of the Power Box as it did in the old days?

Photos of the RTC from the Etches Lane side are remarkably infrequent, I've only ever seen one or two ever, which is rather odd considering how many people must have worked over there over time.  

Way and Works 1 has already been extended on the layout. I've even added a dedicated APT-E siding just off scene.

the extended siding is at the other end, (and totally fictional). It's what would be siding 1 at the side of the EDU building.

As for photos from the Etches Park side, I'm forever trawling the photo sites for views form passing trains. Twice this year, I've done just that myself.

post-408-0-04689900-1464367653_thumb.jpg

A trip to the local model shop to pick up some more ballast and other detailing materials was accomplished today.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A big thank you to Andy at RVEL for the chance to photograph the site today. Much information was obtained but unfortunately the pics are for personal use only. However, the info obtained Will lead to a better model........

Cheers

Mick

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Much work has been going on in the background following the site visit a couple of weeks ago. I now have most of the rear buildings as foamboard base structures, as well as the vast majority of ground cover with ballast and fine sand completed.

I'll try and post a few pics of progress in the next few days.

Lots of other planning work is done, with a rather large "to-do" list, including the transit frames for the main scenic boards - there will be a visit to the local woodyard for supplies and construction of those can commence ASAP (with pics)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 10

Much work has been going on in the background following the site visit a couple of weeks ago. I now have most of the rear buildings as foamboard base structures, as well as the vast majority of ground cover with ballast and fine sand completed.

I'll try and post a few pics of progress in the next few days.

Lots of other planning work is done, with a rather large "to-do" list, including the transit frames for the main scenic boards - there will be a visit to the local woodyard for supplies and construction of those can commence ASAP (with pics)

Cheers,

Mick

11 months to go and counting...................

• RMweb Premium

Great work here Mick - I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through your thread. I'm sure I've missed it but what's the length of the front scenic section?

Cheers

Mike

The scenic front is 16 feet long, with the curves at the end, it's 24 feet overall.

Cheers,

Mick

11 months to go and counting...................

Plenty of time................ (fingers crossed)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Apologies for the lack of photos as work hasn't quite progressed as fast as I'd hoped for. However, it'll be making it's first outing this coming weekend at the Blackburn Exhibition as a good "work in progress". Hopefully it'll generate a few questions on the building methods and operation.

Much work is planned on it within the next few days as it will be fully assembled before being split down on Friday for the show. With a bit of luck, I'll get some pictures of it in the next few days. Whether I get time to post them up is another thing..............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With a bit of luck, I might get over to see the progress so far, if not, have a good show !

Cheers,

Phil.

If you do get to the show, expect a bit of impromptu operator training...............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

'operator training'.....

......does that mean Lucas is going to be there ?

He's the only one that seemed to have any idea about what was happening the last time I saw you !  :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

'operator training'.....

......does that mean Lucas is going to be there ?

He's the only one that seemed to have any idea about what was happening the last time I saw you !  :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

He should be there Sunday. Although he's less than 6 years old, he's a better operator than my 60 year old brother............

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If I get there, it will be on Saturday.

Problem is that I'd probably drop the Mrs off at the Trafford centre on the way, so I'll be skint by Saturday night !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

We prefer to be called 'Hoover Nuts' !!  :derisive:

Cheers,

Phil.

And Bradford Buffer likes  being called Ginger Nuts...................... allegedly.

Edited by newbryford