Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

Looking very pretty and purposeful!

One of the very few mods I intend doing is soldering up the three-links. For very practical reasons, I don't think any manufacturer does it, but particularly in a photograph, it does make a difference when they're 'welded'

x5_zps2c453aae.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 2

Hello Chris, I have just seen a picture of what looks like a Green class 121 bubble car on another thread in the 7mm forum, it looked very nice, any chance of a few more pictures of it pretty please ?

Many thanks in advance

Craig

Sure Craig. I'll take some later next week.

Chris

Excellent 'single car' Chris (we never called them 'bubble cars' back in the late 60s and early 70s).

Brings back memories of the Bridgend - Cymmer Afan - Treherbert service.......

One pedantic comment before I return to fighting off the green eyed monster, it'll need renumbering, as it's numbered for a DTS at the moment.

Brian R

Hi Chris, lovely model that, thanks for indulging us with some pictures of it.

Brian R (br2975) is correct about the number, it needs to be one of the 55020 -55035 series.

That`s a very nice model Chris,and very apt as well, as i brought one of these at Telford.

I just have to decide now if it`s going in green or all over blue?.

Cheers,

Brian.

BLUE  :declare: - with a small yellow warning panel and white dome roof is a great livery not often modelled 

Happy modelling

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues

Excellent 'single car' Chris (we never called them 'bubble cars' back in the late 60s and early 70s).

Brings back memories of the Bridgend - Cymmer Afan - Treherbert service.......

One pedantic comment before I return to fighting off the green eyed monster, it'll need renumbering, as it's numbered for a DTS at the moment.

Brian R

Brian,

In my home city Bristol we called them "Bog Carts" as did everyone else. I have what are now happy memories of them travelling from Sea Mills to Temple Meads.

Cwm Bach is inspired by Abergwynfi so it's not far off the beaten track. I'd love to build a model of Cymmer Afan, but I'll never have the space. I'll renumber it in due course, but that is a low priority.

Chris

Craig muddie-blues asked to see more of my green Bubblecar so here isa  green diesel day on Cwm Bach. The Class 121 is the Easy-Build kit. It is waiting to be fitted with DCC sound and a new destination blind. I also noticed too late that the nearside buffer-head had rotated out ofm its proper position. My other green diesel is the Heljan AC Cars 4-wheel railbus. It's sound-fitted, but I have yet to work up any excitement about it.

Hi Chris,

Lovely 121.

Which gearbox and motor have you used in it - the EZ Build one? If so how does is sound/run?

I am part way through my 121/122 build and really like Shawn's models - yet have not tried his motors etc.

Thanks.

Kindest,

CME

Every grandchild deserves the best start in life so we give each one an Ixion loco with personalised nameplates from Narrow Planet. This one is for 4-month old grand-daughter Adelaide and my grandson Atticus has a duly named Ixion Fowler diesel. Of course, they are too young be trusted to look after them so parental or grandparental custody is assured for several years. The memsahib fell for it hook, line and sinker. I have another two grandsons on the way in November and December and I think one of them wants a Lionheart GWR Mogul and the other the Lionheart B Set.

post-13142-0-89895100-1443180088_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Chris,

Lovely 121.

Which gearbox and motor have you used in it - the EZ Build one? If so how does is sound/run?

I am part way through my 121/122 build and really like Shawn's models - yet have not tried his motors etc.

Thanks.

Kindest,

CME

It is fitted with the motor and gearbox supplied in the Easy-Build kit. A Delrin chain takes the drive to the other axle. It runs smoothly. I need to fit pick-ups on the unpowered bogie and then DCC sound. Unfortunately, I have a backlog of locos waiting for DCC sound; it's all getting rather expensive.

My Great nephew received this loco for his Christening - his parents were genuinely pleased (his mother is a fireman on the Bluebell).

He is now just over two, and takes railways extremely seriously, and is very well informed. He knows all the major parts of a steam engine, and has driven several!

DSCF5407-2.jpg

• Like 9

Nice pictures Chris and the models look great too! lol. Do you fit the sound systems yourself or have someone do it for you.

Rod

Rod,

Generally, I prefer to fit the sound systems myself. However, Because of their small size and difficulty I had Paul Martin of EDM Models equip my Ixion fowler diesel and Ixion Manning Wardle. They have stay-alive and are first class.