Cwm Bach - A South Wales Branch Line

81A Oldoak

The cab side numberplate looks a bit suspect, Chris. This is a side-on crop of the original plate including the 'GWR' prefix which disappeared when it was renumbered to 1141.

attachicon.gif929 SHT copy.JPG

The numberplates supplied with the model are correct. 968, 939 and 1098 all carry the GWR designation in the etch, but I have not rubbed the paint off sufficiently for it to show clearly. The BR renumbered plates 1141,1143 and 1145 do not carry the GWR lettering per the prototype. .

The numberplates supplied with the model are correct. 968, 939 and 1098 all carry the GWR designation in the etch, but I have not rubbed the paint off sufficiently for it to show clearly. The BR renumbered plates 1141,1143 and 1145 do not carry the GWR lettering per the prototype. .

Thorough or what?!? Such attention to detail should be rewarded with a sell-out...

• Like 2

I have been filling the gap behind Cwm Bach signal box over the past fortnight. The retaining wall is made from the resin castings I  described some time ago. Thereafter, the technique for building the bank is simplle with a supporting framework made from scrap cardboard and the shell made from el cheapo kitchen roll paper and pva glue from Poundland; yes I know I could have got them for 99p from the 99p Shop, but Poundland is on the way from AC Models to my bank. The static grass was applied with a Noch Grassmaster and more vegwtation detail is needed. I had thought about some discarded household waste on the bank, but I don't think it was huge problem in the 1950s and I can't see the congregation of the local chapel indulging in such wicked activity.  I really must finish the backscene.

post-13142-0-63851100-1449939122_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-72135600-1449939144_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-07224500-1449939167_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-55750300-1449939188_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-18582000-1449939203_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-32313700-1449939218_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-23320700-1449939232_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-41018300-1449939250_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Very nice, sir.

That does look a pretty ferocious gradient behind the cabin, I hope the brakes get pinned down before the descent - I can just imagine that poor little Hudswell Clarke sliding right through the stop block out of control with a rake of loaded coal wagons which it is vainly trying to keep under control, wheels locked, sparks flying.

Chaz

• Like 2

Very nice, sir.

That does look a pretty ferocious gradient behind the cabin, I hope the brakes get pinned down before the descent - I can just imagine that poor little Hudswell Clarke sliding right through the stop block out of control with a rake of loaded coal wagons which it is vainly trying to keep under control, wheels locked, sparks flying.

Chaz

Your not wrong Chaz. The gradient is about 1 in 22.5, which is pushing it. However, the short branch from Abertillery in the Western Valleys up to Cwmtillery Colliery had a ruling gradient of 1 in 24 or 1 in 28 depending on source. The line from Rhymney to Rhymney Bridge, which carried passengers, was 1 in 35 and the  branch from Cymmer to Abergwynfi, the inspiration for Cwm Bach, had rulling gradient of 1 in 32. Among the attractions of modelling the South Wales Valleys are the steep gradients, sharp curves and lines on narrow ledges cut into the sides of the valleys. Add in the adbundance of industrial lines and general absence of long tender engines and it is a very attractive prospect for the space-starved 0 gauger.

Chris

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Your not wrong Chaz. The gradient is about 1 in 22.5, which is pushing it. However, the short branch from Abertillery in the Western Valleys up to Cwmtillery Colliery had a ruling gradient of 1 in 24 or 1 in 28 depending on source. The line from Rhymney to Rhymney Bridge, which carried passengers, was 1 in 35 and the  branch from Cymmer to Abergwynfi, the inspiration for Cwm Bach, had rulling gradient of 1 in 32. Among the attractions of modelling the South Wales Valleys are the steep gradients, sharp curves and lines on narrow ledges cut into the sides of the valleys. Add in the adbundance of industrial lines and general absence of long tender engines and it is a very attractive prospect for the space-starved 0 gauger.

Chris

With that excellent sales pitch you'll have even Chaz joining the dark side...

I'm interested in the Abertillery /Cwmtillery branch - my father was Vicar of Cwmtillery - we moved there in 1976, but the branch had gone by then. Cwmtillery colliery was still working, but the coal was being brought up at Rose Heyworth Pit, with spoil being brought up at Cwmtillery (finishing in '76).

After the drought that year, the heavy rain brought the tip opposite our house, which peaked higher than the mountain, down into the valley, where it filled the lake. They then spent the next year or so dredging the lake back out, putting drainage in the tip, and planting to try and stabilise it.

Cwmtillery Colliery in 1977, taken from the Vicarage, with a telephoto!

dadsphotos0298_zps0fd22973.jpg

Edited by Giles
  • Like 10

I'm interested in the Abertillery /Cwmtillery branch - my father was Vicar of Cwmtillery - we moved there in 1976, but the branch had gone by then. Cwmtillery colliery was still working, but the coal was being brought up at Rose Heyworth Pit, with spoil being brought up at Cwmtillery (finishing in '76).

After the drought that year, the heavy rain brought the tip opposite our house, which peaked higher than the mountain, down into the valley, where it filled the lake. They then spent the next year or so dredging the lake back out, putting drainage in the tip, and planting to try and stabilise it.

Cwmtillery Colliery in 1977, taken from the Vicarage, with a telephoto!

dadsphotos0298_zps0fd22973.jpg

Giles,

Your father was a vicar. You lived in the South Wales Valleys overlooking a colliery. Your very keen on railways. Now that's what I call a true believer.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice, sir.

Chaz

All very prototypical - the big bet of course is whether pinned down wagon brakes are likely to stop it or not but as it's only a short grade with short trains all should be well on a  dry day ;)

Another quick sit rep on 4250.

Having almost finished the frames, but reached the milestone of getting the beast running through collecting current from all wheels, I felt I needed something more interesting to do.

post-17766-0-63596100-1450295215_thumb.jpeg

Making and fitting the roof seemed like an idea. There's nothing clever here, just careful use of my RSU. The cab side sheets were also taken off. It'll be easier to paint the loco and fit the correct larger sheets at a later stage. I also tidied some of the beading, helping it nestle down in place better, as well as rivet strips that go at each end of the buffer planks where they join the hanging bar.

The roof will be detachable in the end, because no-one wants to be fishing about inside the cab if a crew member decides to have an impromptu lie down!

At around this point one of my desk lamps blew a bulb, and as lumens dropped markedly, I called a halt for the day.

• Like 4

Another quick sit rep on 4250.

Having almost finished the frames, but reached the milestone of getting the beast running through collecting current from all wheels, I felt I needed something more interesting to do.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Making and fitting the roof seemed like an idea. There's nothing clever here, just careful use of my RSU. The cab side sheets were also taken off. It'll be easier to paint the loco and fit the correct larger sheets at a later stage. I also tidied some of the beading, helping it nestle down in place better, as well as rivet strips that go at each end of the buffer planks where they join the hanging bar.

The roof will be detachable in the end, because no-one wants to be fishing about inside the cab if a crew member decides to have an impromptu lie down!

At around this point one of my desk lamps blew a bulb, and as lumens dropped markedly, I called a halt for the day.

The upper half of the rear of the bunker is fabricated from brass castings and it took a lot of heat and imprecations to persuade them to stay in their intended positions. Meanwhile, this is more exciting than watching the trailer for the new Star Wars film, which by the way, I was supposed to be watching at midnight tonight until I gave up my ticket so that my youngest daughter home from university can attend with her brother and the memsahib. Ah well, I suppose it will let me get on with writing Christmas cards for Ixion's retailers.

I have been looking over Cwm Bach and progress is quite advanced. The major tasks to be completed are the fabrication and installation of a backscene along the length of the layout and filling the area that will be a river at the front of the layout. The former task has been delayed by my seeming inability to manipulate the software needed to backdate some photos of terraced houses that I shot near Crumlin last year. Thereafter, there are lots of detail tasks the most important of which is probably the installation of point rodding. Ground signals also need to be installed and the goods yard needs to be detailed. Cwm Bach also needs to be populated with of course, some sheeps and a few peeps.

Meanwhile, I rediscovered this atmospheric photograph by John Wiltshire and may use it as inspiration for dumping some of the detritus of the mining industry along the newly installed bank behind the signal box. I must also get around to installing some sound and detailing a Minerva Peckett. And there is also the Rhymney R 0-6-2T to finish and design work for the next Minerva project.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/5205264804/in/set-72157624820751216/

• Like 3