Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Who keeps their boxes?

Wolf27

...and here was I feeling very rebellious, because a few months ago I recycled about 200 sets of Oxford/ Corgi/ EFE packaging, because I thought I should begin to apply common sense somewhere

• RMweb Premium

I wonder what future archaeologists will make of the thousands of small black screws they will find littering rubbish tips - will history record that Oxford Diecast and Original Omnibus used them for packaging, and Bachmann used them to hold the NEM coupler pockets on, or will it all be a mystery?  

• RMweb Premium

Beware clutter gurus and their disciples. I quote Aggie McKenzie: " £160! for a bit of plastic?" (a boxed Brighton Pullman set in umber). Your empty boxes are clutter, and so, probably, are your models. Shoes are not clutter. The boxes they come in are clutter even though they would be excellent for storing models bought unboxed.

The stuff stored in my house by people who don't live here anymore is not, apparently, clutter.

Fortunately I have my railway space so I keep boxes, mainly with their contents in them except when in use. As others have said, they do enhance the value of stock on resale, whether I dispose of stuff I don't need or when I can no longer model.

Pete (bitter and twisted of Swaythling)

I too keep my loco/wagon/coach boxes as loft insulation, mainly as a 'what if my circumstances change'- If the brown stuff hits the fan I'll want the highest possible amount back for my model railway items in order to feed myself and keep my house. Therefore to throw out the boxes and thus render my stock with a potential lower resale value seems daft to say the least! After all, it doesn't cost my anything to keep them in the loft.. (Would you throw away the back seats of your car just because you don't need them?- unless of course you own a Porsche 911GT3...)

However, I agree with 'CHARD when it come to the Oxford/Corgi boxes. A line must be drawn somewhere. They only cost a couple of quid each new, and several of my cars have been/are being turned into bangers and stock cars for a pit scene diorama on one of my scenic breaks so their resale value will probably be nil anyway.

I wonder what future archaeologists will make of the thousands of small black screws they will find littering rubbish tips....

Are these the same small black screws that go missing when eBay traders break Hornby models for spares only for buyers to find that these screws are not listed by Hornby as spares?

I have always kept the original boxes. It was drummed into me as a child that "the box is worth more than the contents" and certainly with the Hornby Dublo that was amassed by my Father, this was true. Old habits die hard, and I have kept every box for every item I have bought since. It proved helpful when I was burgled, as the stored boxes provided me with a very accurate list of everything that had been stolen, just by cataloguing what boxes I had. I still have spare boxes for a Bachmann Fairburn tank, City of London and a Hornby L1 as I'm unsure what to do with them (the contents were amongst the items never recovered by the Police) and it seems sacrilage to throw them away.

I have always kept the original boxes. It was drummed into me as a child that "the box is worth more than the contents" and certainly with the Hornby Dublo that was amassed by my Father, this was true. Old habits die hard, and I have kept every box for every item I have bought since. It proved helpful when I was burgled, as the stored boxes provided me with a very accurate list of everything that had been stolen, just by cataloguing what boxes I had. I still have spare boxes for a Bachmann Fairburn tank, City of London and a Hornby L1 as I'm unsure what to do with them (the contents were amongst the items never recovered by the Police) and it seems sacrilage to throw them away.

I suggest that you sell the boxes. I had a Wrenn City of London without a box. I paid a trader £10 for a Wrenn City of London box which will enhance the locomotive's value and make it more attractive to display with its box. I have bought a lot of reproduction Hornby-Dublo boxes for my Hornby-Dublo collection. As they are reproduction boxes they do not enhance the value of the collection but they make it more attractive and enable me to store them neatly.

Like many, boxes in boxes in loft........

Each item of rolling stock has a little round coloured sticker, red for locos, blue coaches etc and a number.

Corresponding sticker and number goes on box.

Bit anal poss, but it may not me boxing it all back up,to flog!

It soulds like our parents were cut from the same cloth.  I can't throw away the boxes for my models although most of my collection lives in foam trays contained within plastic storage boxes.  These are much more convenient than constantly unboxing and reboxing things and take up less cupboard space whilst the empty boxes are stored up in my loft.  The only slight worry is that it gets a bit damp up there in winter so I might need some airtight plastic storage boxes in which to store my boxes!

My boxes fill an antique oak chest (inherited when my Grandmother died. She used it to store blankets, and it was made from timbers salvaged at a ship's breakers yard in Hull in around the 1930s) and several plastic crates that live on top of a wardrobe out of the way. The stock is stored in plastic trays when not in use on layouts or in glass display cabinets.

My father always made sure to keep his Triang boxes when he was younger - but the constant wear of taking stock in and out of the box led to them becoming very very worn; I doubt they add much to the value in their current state with flaps falling off.

I rather like the solid plastic Fleischmann boxes: durable, easy to take stock out of, and you can clearly see what's inside.

No matter how nice that model you had for Christmas, one day an even better version will be available.

Keep the box and your current model will go a long way towards financing the super-super detail one in the future.

You won't have to think, "Can I afford it?". You already have a fair portion of the means to purchase it 

• 3 weeks later...

I keep all my boxes for many of the reasons listed above. At present I have few financial burdens so it is a good time to amass stock, but I am not in the position to build a layout so they all stay in their boxes. This makes for easier storage and cataloging

I'm 27 so hopefully I won't be popping my clogs any time soon but one day my time will come and it would be better for my family if all my stuff were correctly organised for resale etc

Additionally there are some models I have that I am hoping to replace on a better version becomes available. Having the boxes increases the item's resale value and makes them easier to post.

Once I have a layout most of my stock should live on it, but I will still keep the boxes.

All of the above only applies for railway rolling stock and locomotives. I have purchased some buildings and once they are planted their boxes will be recycled. Similarly road vehicles will not have their boxes kept once they are in full use.

• 1 month later...

I always keep the boxes all stacked neatly in those foldable plastic crates, its quite amazing just how many boxes fit into one crate.

I have recently sold a lot of locos and wagons with the items having its original box*, it is not so much about the extra value but having them arrive in one piece.

*Except one loco.

I'm one of the people who buy empty boxes as I like to keep my collection of locos/ coaches / wagons boxed.

Of course they come in handy when I buy unboxed items from ebay etc.

I can't have everything on my layout as I have more stock than space.

• RMweb Gold

A recent Hornby purchase has been working like a dream, now I have to decide whether to keep the box or bin it.....

Decisions, decisions.

attachicon.gifDSCF3871.JPG

Tom

I've got one of those and I've kept the box!

It's my fave mug as it holds a decent size brew - and the box is good for keeping stuff in.

As for keeping stock boxes, absolutely, though my loft is filling up with them... some empty, some with content still inside (til I get the layout finished...  :locomotive: ).

cheers,

Keith

Just found the box, but not yet the polystyrene insert , in my mum's loft, for a Hornby class 25 I bought around 1978 :-o. Cost £10.50 , still have it with the 29 bought around the same time from the model dept downstairs of Taylor & McKenna in Luton.

Archived