Tinsley servicing shed

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Back in 2009 I drew, using Templot, the track plan for the two road servicing shed at Tinsley Marshalling Yard. I had printed the plan but thought it had been given to the nice dustman who calls on a Thursday. With the old computer giving up the go I thought I had lost all. The other night while searching for Midland Railway signal box information I found the printed version. So I have decided that I will start this as a long term project. I have been off to Staples and have four copies now which to use for working with.

The time period will be very soon after the opening of the yard, this will mean I can have a large variety of diesel classes. There is a line that is electrified towards the front of the layout, this was an engine line that locos coming from the reception sidings would either make their way to the west departure sidings at the other end of the yard, as well as coming on shed. Locos using this line would include some EM2s and even the odd steam loco, like an 8F or a WD.

post-16423-0-80898600-1391985519.png

The track plan. The line climbing up to the main shed will provide part of the backdrop. I will incude a static model of the hump so the engine line, for the east departure sidings, at the front has somewhere to disappear under. There is no natural scenic break at the western end so the plan is to let the scenic matter to fade out as it becomes a fiddle yard. To start with the electrified line behind the shed will not be operational but one day a set of boards will be made to enable EM2s to trundle past with trains to the reception sidings.

post-16423-0-82699100-1391986446_thumb.png

When I was doing my first research into the possibility of modelling the depot I looked on Multimaps and their "bird’s eye" view of Tinsley showed it in the throes of being dismantled but it does give an idea of what the baseboards will look like without the buildings on them.

The progress will be very slow so do not expect regular updates.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

An early question about Tinsley is in regard of a signal on the line taken by the Woodhead trains into the repection sidings. In this photo by Russell Saxton the EM 1 is appraoching a signal with only one aspect. There is a shunt signal below it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33751709@N05/4916611181/in/pool-tinsleyyard/ On the signal diagram that appeared in Rail Express February 2004 it shows the signal to only have a red aspect, with the shunt signal below it. Would this have always shown red, and any incoming trains halt until given line clear indcation by the shunt signal? The signal number was TY246.

• RMweb Premium

Heres one of my photos showing the area from the bridge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northbriton/9814418553/

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for the photo, everyone I view has something new in it. I wonder how the tractor on rails performed compared to a class 13 :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

To start with the electrified line behind the shed will not be operational but one day a set of boards will be made to enable EM2s to trundle past with trains to the reception sidings.

Hi

Nice plan but surely you mean EM1s as the EM2s were primarily for passenger work.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Clive - http://www.flickr.com/groups/tinsleyyard/    might be of use.

Gareth Bayer had a layout proposal for part of TI under the Scalefour Society's 1883 Challenge a few years back - sadly the link no longer works and I don't seem to have saved an electronic copy. I might have hard copy in my library, will have an investigate.

Feb 2004 Rail Express has a modelling piece - Class 13s and a fold-out trackplan. - Again, I probably have this in the library somewhere.

Edited by CloggyDeux

• RMweb Premium

An early question about Tinsley is in regard of a signal on the line taken by the Woodhead trains into the repection sidings. In this photo by Russell Saxton the EM 1 is appraoching a signal with only one aspect. There is a shunt signal below it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33751709@N05/4916611181/in/pool-tinsleyyard/ On the signal diagram that appeared in Rail Express February 2004 it shows the signal to only have a red aspect, with the shunt signal below it. Would this have always shown red, and any incoming trains halt until given line clear indcation by the shunt signal? The signal number was TY246.

Sounds like a fixed red aspect. We have similar on Reading Train Care Depot. Any unit routed into the Arrivals road will get a single yellow in the station then arrive at a fixed red (RD15). Any movement past this is controlled by the ground position light below.

(Slightly OT) If a unit is routed into any of the other sidings, the driver will get two whites on a position light in the station then a siding number in an indication box at the yard entrance.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Alan and Tim

There are a few photos in that group that I have not found when searching Tinsley Yard, Tinsley Depot and Class 13. I did find this group as well if anyone else is interested http://www.flickr.com/groups/tinsleyyard/

Wally moment number 2......I thought the link was to the class 13 group not the one Tim had started and Alan had linked to.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

Hi Steve

Thanks for the photo, everyone I view has something new in it. I wonder how the tractor on rails performed compared to a class 13 :scratchhead:

Yeah saw that I take it they must have had some kind of signalling protection on to protect the line as it does appear to be 'parked' on the hump... 

• RMweb Gold

Yeah saw that I take it they must have had some kind of signalling protection on to protect the line as it does appear to be 'parked' on the hump... 

It's actually parked at the end of the hump engine release siding. There was probably some weekend maintenance going on in the reception sidings so maybe it was tucked at the end out of the way ready for it's next stint.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive

Are you going DCC with this project and how much space do you have play with?

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul

P4 is going to be a big step, let alone DCC as well.

The layout will be a little over 20 feet long and just under 3 feet at its widest, I have not decided how long the fiddle yards will be as yet.

The rationale around the layout is to show that even small depots were quite big by doing it to scale.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul

P4 is going to be a big step, let alone DCC as well.

The layout will be a little over 20 feet long and just under 3 feet at its widest, I have not decided how long the fiddle yards will be as yet.

The rationale around the layout is to show that even small depots were quite big by doing it to scale.

Sounds good, DCC is scary enough without P4, it's amazing how much space 'small' things take up! Looking forward to seeing this good luck.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Interesting timing as one of the plans in the free Model Rail booklet this month is of the servicing shed at Tinsley.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

I might have to buy Model Rail to have a butchers at it.

I dug out a 1/1250 track plan of the whole yard, it must have been drawn while construction was taking place as there are some bits of the main shed that were slightly different when it was built. It was printed (I think) in the old dye line method and some of the details have over time become blurred and difficult to read. These details include the type of switch and the crossing angle of the points. Where I can see them they are excellent and helpful but where they are now blurred not so good. The complete drawing is 10 feet long. :O

I have scanned in the section I will hopefully be modelling. The attached is a resized version so it would not be too big for the forum.

post-16423-0-01768600-1392335449_thumb.png

The track work is a right old mix. Most is flatbottom with either BR1 base plates with a few places what look like ST base plates and may be some Mills Clips. There are two panels of concrete sleppers outside the shed building, the rest seems to be wooden sleepers. I am not too sure if engine line that the EM1s use to bypass the shed is not bullhead. The "Hump" was bullhead. Thankfully Colin Craig makes some of the fixing types I need and in his artilce in DEMU's Update winter 2003 he states that the concrete sleepers made by C&L were used with MRC 5 baseplates and Mills Clips, so I might be OK for those two panels of track. All the track was laid pre Pandrol Clip era.

Another minor problem is the point work is flatbottom rail and no one does suitable baseplates for the crossings or slide chairs for the switches. Colin Craigs slide chairs he makes for the Pandrol Clip points might be suitable. 

Edit, forgot to say the track plan drawing cost me 20p about 30 years ago.

Edited by Clive Mortimore