• RMweb Premium

Having taken a step up with the new layout choice of the particular setting of Queensbury, virtually everything needs to be constructed.
Actual layout construction is on hold as the space is being used for other purposes at present. So attention has been turned to the structures and locos.

First up is J50 68959.
post-8964-0-87047000-1394069504.jpg

The marriage of a Lima J50 body and Bachmann 94xx 96xx pannier chassis has been described on RMweb before by 40-something . I'm not ashamed to say that this great idea has been pinched.

The wheel base on the 94xx 96xx chassis is aprox.2mm short although the wheels themselves are just right. Modifications needed to this chassis include removing the outside brake rods and replacing on the inside, extending the coupling and removing the sandboxes.

A couple of years ago I acquired an Eames J50 in apple green mounted on a Triang chassis. This model is quite well finished and will remain untouched as it runs very well for its age. The Triang Chassis does not look right.

Comparison between the Kit and Lima bodies shows the Lima cab sits 2mm further back and the boiler seems a little smaller.
The body will under go intense detail work before plain black late 1940s finish is applied.
post-8964-0-37546700-1394073140_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi manna

Apart from the usual LNER J39s and occasional B1, I'm thinking of scratch building a J6. I don't know if they ever used the line but a J55 might make an interesting conversion from the Hornby J52. So I'll be doing one anyway just for the fun of it.

I'm also open to suggestions.

If you check out the last few pages of my Goathland thread there you'll find that I have made a start on the buildings for Queensbury.

Regards Shaun. 

• RMweb Premium

Ooo, You're right Ronnie! It's a 96xx isn't it. I'll correct my mistake.

But I'm wondering if you couldn't do the same with a Lima 94xx and the Bachmann 96xx chassis. :derisive: 
There are plenty of Lima 94xxs on eBay starting at 99pence here.

Edit: I have just learnt from another website that a Bachmann 57xx chassis will go under the Lima 94xx and that both locos share 4'7 1/2" wheels on identical wheel base.  

• RMweb Premium

Very much looking forward to this knowing what your standards are like. Steve 

Thanks Steve. It has been some time since taking on locos projects. Apart from the odd weathering job the only one to see attention was an old Airfix N2. It had its condensing equipment removed as per Scottish engines and brake rodding added from beading wire along with all the usual embellishments. Am sure I read somewhere that a small number of these engines where transferred to the West Riding.

post-8964-0-73789000-1394411149_thumb.jpg

The macro shot of the push-pull trailer has to be worth posting too. 

post-8964-0-31431000-1394411202_thumb.jpg

Ooo, You're right Ronnie! It's a 96xx isn't it. I'll correct my mistake.

But I'm wondering if you couldn't do the same with a Lima 94xx and the Bachmann 96xx chassis. :derisive: 

There are plenty of Lima 94xxs on eBay starting at 99pence here.

Edit: I have just learnt from another website that a Bachmann 57xx chassis will go under the Lima 94xx and that both locos share 4'7 1/2" wheels on identical wheel base.  

Yes Sir.  I looked at this and it's a go. I was going to use the 96xx cab and bunker and graft on the front end of the 94xx but the Lima bodyshell is way out on a more than a few

counts. So I kept the 96xx and gave away the 94xx. I may build a S E Finecast  body on the Bachmann chassis. I MUST finish my unfinished projects first though!

• RMweb Premium

G'Day Gent

I think you won't go far wrong with J3's and J4's even D2's and D3's

manna

Will look into this! If I do build anything else (Knowing me I probably will) it will be way down the road!

• RMweb Premium

The bits arrived from Mainly Trains today. So I made a start on the chassis by sawing off the outside brake rods and sand boxes with an Exacto razor saw blade and paring off all the unwanted detail from the lima body.

Details to be added will include lamp irons, whistle, smoke box door dart, sprung buffers, cab glazing, crew, hand rails, plasticard wheel arches, wire front steps, sand boxes, sand pipes, inside brake rods and drain cocks. 

Something needs doing to the safety valves too but not sure what? 

• RMweb Premium

The body has been scraped, filed, sanded, buffed with a fiberglass pencil and rubbed with comet/jif!

More handrail knobs are required as they only supply 12. I don't get that as most locos have at least 16!

Next will be the plastic card additions.

post-8964-0-57595500-1394913548.jpg

post-8964-0-68567600-1394913560.jpg

post-8964-0-94140700-1394913576.jpg

I am tempted to go for this livery.

post-8964-0-12524600-1394914002.jpg
Picture licensed to Wikipedia commons

G'Day Gents

Looking good, with Lima J50 bodies, you need to take off a couple of builders plates, there's to many.

Back to locos, J1's and J2's were to be found LNER days around the West Riding, but had moved on by the Second world war, there were 16 J6's shedded in the West Riding in the late 40's and 50's.

This Lima J50 is based on a Kings Cross pilot engine, it still has it's original chassis, it'll 'do 200mph' but settles down, to a respectable 20mph with 15 wagons on.

manna

post-19471-0-18488200-1394923697.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Manna,

That's a great job on 68902, lots of details and a nice grubby finish.

The chassis that came with mine is a good runner.

Judging by the picture of 68973 the plastic between the frames under the smoke box needs removing. I will investigate further.

regards Shaun.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

A little bit of work on this last night so I thought time for an update.
The bit under the smoke box has been moved back a scale 9".
post-8964-0-91632800-1397757381.jpg

Plastic card has been used for the new mountings.
post-8964-0-46851000-1397757392.jpg

The ride height looks good. I'm working on the sand boxes and steps. Clearances behind these need to be within OO standards which doesn't leave a lot to work with.
post-8964-0-37778500-1397757407_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Sasquztch....pls add a link on your signature. For Locos for Queensbury  :sungum:

Sorted!

umm,, that 'Eames' J50 looks more like a K's bodyline kit on a Hornby Dublo R1 chassis to NHN......got one somewhere!

Pedant mode off.

Love the idea of the bachy chassis, nice work.

Was wondering about the chassis. I think it is Hornby Dublo. The loco was sold to me as an Eames body kit and still has the Eames box! 

Interesting project, as regards the  Lima 94XX  and alo9ng the same lines as you are doing have a look here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82797-94xx-limabachmann-bash-update-3/

Stu

Had a quick look in and at Drewry-lane and will give it a good read through tomorrow. Nice work!! 

• RMweb Premium

That's not a bad idea. If any more get built that is. Without counting them there must be over 200 builds at present.

However there is a Gresley twin set in the pipeline and I do have some 61' kirk kits to build also.

The Hornby N2 chassis has managed to become as rare as hens teeth since I started this project meaning that the N1 build is a non starter at present.

Archived