BRM October - RMweb edition - choose your content!

Andy Y

BRM October - RMweb edition  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Which layouts would you like to see included?

• *Apa Park - stevepurves
    • *Bacup - Sandside
    • *Diddington - wiggoforgold
    • *Drewry Lane - lapford34102
    • East Wheal Dream - Keith Thompson, 7mm GWR quayside
    • Grangemouth TMD - Falkirk MRC - OO 1960s
    • *Little Bytham update - Tony Wright
    • Rannoch - Mark Darragh, OO West Highland 1990s
    • Torrington - darren01
    • Troutbeck (OO) - Andrew Butler - Follow on from Florinstone in BRM August
    • Warren Lane - Wombatty
    • Westerham - westerham
  2. 2. Which practical articles would you like to see included?

• *Fitting sound to a Hornby Auserity - Ian Mellors
    • *J69 kit-build - Tony Wright
    • *Brecon & Merthyr tank kit-build - Tony Wright
    • Hornby M7 to Caley 439 conversion - John Everett Hill
    • 7mm Easy-Build Class 122 railcar - Charlie King
    • Graham Farish 101 with sound - Tony Buckton
    • Network Rail DBSO - Nigel Burkin
    • Hand throws for yard points - Graham Elgar
  3. 3. Which prototype articles would you like to see included?

• *Peterborough North - translating the prototype - Gilbert Barnatt
    • Short Speedlink trains - Michael Rhodes
    • Wagons for chemical traffic - David Larkin
    • Were they really that colour? - Tanya Jackson

As previously mentioned the October issue of BRM (out 11th September) will feature more RMweb-related layouts and content. We've reviewed what it will be possible to include and have drawn up a list for you to vote on so we can take your preferences into account. It doesn't necessarily mean that the top 3 layouts from the vote will appear as we still have to keep some balance across the issue but we will be taking the preferences into account for the final line-up.

So here's your chance to have some input!

RMweb related content is prefixed with * for readers who need to search for that material. (Edit - Apologies but the * has gone astray on Torrington, Warren Lane and Westerham!).

Don't worry, if something doesn't appear towards the top of the vote it won't be binned but will be planned in for a future issue.

• RMweb Gold

As previously mentioned the October issue of BRM (out 11th September) will feature more RMweb-related layouts and content. We've reviewed what it will be possible to include and have drawn up a list for you to vote on so we can take your preferences into account. It doesn't necessarily mean that the top 3 layouts from the vote will appear as we still have to keep some balance across the issue but we will be taking the preferences into account for the final line-up.

So here's your chance to have some input!

RMweb related content is prefixed with * for readers who need to search for that material. (Edit - Apologies but the * has gone astray on Torrington, Warren Lane and Westerham!).

Don't worry, if something doesn't appear towards the top of the vote it won't be binned but will be planned in for a future issue

I think I'd prefer the editor to make the decision based upon the quality of the article.  Those not not appearing perhaps being rewritten for a future issue.

Andy

I dont know many of the layouts on the list by name........is it possible to put a note by each e.g. like the Rannoch layout." 00 gauge West Highland 1990's" 

Thanks.........Bob.

Andy

I dont know many of the layouts on the list by name........is it possible to put a note by each e.g. like the Rannoch layout." 00 gauge West Highland 1990's" 

Thanks.........Bob.

No, I can't put hyperlinks into the questions Bob, if a layout has an asterisk it should be easily found on here with the search function.

I think I'd prefer the editor to make the decision based upon the quality of the article.  Those not not appearing perhaps being rewritten for a future issue.

We'll make sure all of the articles are up to publishable standards.  :scratchhead:

I could just make a call now on which ones I think would be the best fit but we are offering people some choices.

• RMweb Gold

No, I can't put hyperlinks into the questions Bob, if a layout has an asterisk it should be easily found on here with the search function.

But you could include them in your first post... :)

• RMweb Gold

Some great layouts listed Andy but it would have found interesting to and useful to have Greenfield in the list.  I say that because Coach has taken us through many most of the ups & downs of developing a layout in a way which - I don't think - any other contributor on here has ever done and it's all been copiously illustrated.  Probably now too late to add it to the list but perhaps then an article in a 'normal' issue of the mag?

Some great layouts listed Andy but it would have found interesting to and useful to have Greenfield in the list.  I say that because Coach has taken us through many most of the ups & downs of developing a layout in a way which - I don't think - any other contributor on here has ever done and it's all been copiously illustrated.  Probably now too late to add it to the list but perhaps then an article in a 'normal' issue of the mag?

I did have comms with Larry some time back about prospectively doing something but events show it was like the last episode of a favourite TV series disappearing before being aired! It would be nice to do something at a future point if Larry's happy to do so. The list's been kept to what it would be possible to do.

You could have included Aberdeen Kirkhill on the list as well Andy. We haven't been featured in BRM yet.

Oops!

We'll get that rectified at some point in the future Gra!

Why is there three articles listed for Tony Wright surely it should fairer to share it around a bit better and give other members a chance.

If they'd written articles then we could have done!

I think your missing the point there are others on here worthy of inclusion.

Undoubtedly so Bob but if they haven't put themselves forward (the offer was made a few weeks back) and they haven't written the article then there's only so much we can do about it; we can't just lift someone's content without consultation and turn it into an article.

Hi everyone,

Ben mentioned Rannoch was going to be included in the vote to me at Perth and having just noticed this today thought a link to take you to the layout where you can see the entire build from start to finish. Nigel Burkin came and took the photos recently and they are fantastic so please vote for Rannoch if you would like to see more.

Thanks

Mark

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1970-rannoch-moor/

• RMweb Gold

I think your missing the point there are others on here worthy of inclusion.

I'm sure there are - but do we really wish to go down the road of people being invited to have their articles etc put forward for consideration?

If Andy, Ben, or anyone else were to start asking people (who haven't put themselves forward, or been nominated by other people) if it's OK for their material to be considered for inclusion, I suspect it might not take too long before somebody started making accusations of trying to undermine any voting.

Of course, there'd be nothing wrong with Andy / Ben / somebody involved in running BRM or RMweb asking people who've produced good models if they'd like this to be the subject of a magazine article at some point in the future.

There are a number of people who've built some exquisite models - or come up with some very useful stuff - but who might not necessarily wish to put themselves forward in this way. I'd be very interested in reading what they've got to say at some point in the future - and I doubt if I'd be alone.

Undoubtedly so Bob but if they haven't put themselves forward (the offer was made a few weeks back) and they haven't written the article then there's only so much we can do about it; we can't just lift someone's content without consultation and turn it into an article.

Also fair comment.

As for what gets voted for - what goes into the October issue - I'm sure it'll be interesting - I'm also sure it'll be worth reading.

I suspect similar things could also be said about articles that don't "make the cut" - I'm looking forward to reading them too, in another issue.

Huw.

• Administrators

If Andy, Ben, or anyone else were to start asking people (who haven't put themselves forward, or been nominated by other people) if it's OK for their material to be considered for inclusion, I suspect it might not take too long before somebody started making accusations of trying to undermine any voting.

Of course, there'd be nothing wrong with Andy / Ben / somebody involved in running BRM or RMweb asking people who've produced good models if they'd like this to be the subject of a magazine article at some point in the future.

This takes place already - when a cracking model is spotted, the builder is often asked if they would be interested in writing about it. Some will. Many won't. Some will be interested but take months or even years to come up with the goods. The RMweb issue has a deadline and so articles need to be confirmed ASAP. Of course, anything that doesn't appear in it can still appear in future issues...

You also need to realise that there is a world of difference between writing a series of blog posts and a single article. The later demands more structure as all the info has to be squeezed in to a couple of thousand words or less. I know that my blog can ramble when I have all the Internet to fill but when a build is turned in to a piece for the page, those posts are nothing more than rough notes. You can't cut'n'paste the final piece from them.

Plus imagine offering a spot to someone who fails to come up with the goods. The pressure on some people might be extensive. As Andy Y said, the offer was put out there. And if one person has put forward more than once piece is it still not worthy of consideration? BRM would appear willing to help people cope, but you have no idea of their health, their commitments, or indeed many other factors. All the entries are worthy. And BRM are stating this is not their only chance....just the FIRST chance. I am sure in time many of us will be pleased to see more than one of these. I voted, but  there are a couple of people I would love to see in print as I regularly look at their layouts. But I am sure that the others will turn out to be interesting. BRM is a class magazine. I am sure all the entries are pleased to have got on the list. Hopefully in the fullness of time, considering BRM has a balance for its issues, this will all be seen.

BUT people had to respond to the offer to get to this point. 

Good luck to all, and particularly my two favourites.

Am now waiting with baited breath to see which RMwebber will get published..... :sungum:

You could have included Aberdeen Kirkhill on the list as well Andy. We haven't been featured in BRM yet.

Hi Flood,

Having spent some considerable time watching the layout at Perth the other weekend, I'd be delighted to feature it in BRM as soon as you're ready. It brought back many happy memories of chasing around Scotland behind (or in front of of) ScotRail 47/7s in the late-1980s.

Drop me a line and we'll get it sorted.

Ben

Tanya Jackson's article, 'Were They Really That Colour', sounds interesting Andy, briefly, what's it about?

I don't have it to hand at the moment, but Tanya's article is about the variety in railway liveries and colours and the factors that affect(ed) them. If you'll forgive the pun, it's written to explain that colour is not a 'black and white' issue as some seem to think - there were many variations according to where vehicles were painted, how long they'd been in service etc, and we should also remember that  photographs are not a reliable guide either.

• RMweb Premium

I don't have it to hand at the moment, but Tanya's article is about the variety in railway liveries and colours and the factors that affect(ed) them. If you'll forgive the pun, it's written to explain that colour is not a 'black and white' issue as some seem to think - there were many variations according to where vehicles were painted, how long they'd been in service etc, and we should also remember that  photographs are not a reliable guide either.

As a Senior Colourist working in the plastics and coatings industry this sounds interesting...

Archived