Agenoria WR 1366 Pannier for Pencarrow Bridge

2ManySpams

The only Agenoria kit I have built is my Peckett 0-4-0ST, seen here with an Ixion Hudswell Clarke.

P1030898-2700x518_zpsa3874069.jpg

This was a lovely kit, very nice to build with no need to replace any parts and offered an easy (if undocumented) way to add compensation.

Reading through this topic it is clear that the 1366 kit is not in the same class. It's a pity if later kits in the range are not up to the previous standard.

The only Agenoria kit I have built is my Peckett 0-4-0ST, seen here with an Ixion Hudswell Clarke.

P1030898-2700x518_zpsa3874069.jpg

This was a lovely kit, very nice to build with no need to replace any parts and offered an easy (if undocumented) way to add compensation.

Reading through this topic it is clear that the 1366 kit is not in the same class. It's a pity if later kits in the range are not up to the previous standard.

Yes, but a different designer/pattern originator (who has since sold the range to whoever it was that designed this kit). It's a lovely model though.

Adam

Yes, but a different designer/pattern originator (who has since sold the range to whoever it was that designed this kit). It's a lovely model though.

Adam

Up to and including AM41 are the Pete Stamper designed kits. Since the range was sold to him, Mike Williams (ex-College Models - nuff said!) has added to the range but appears to have failed to maintain the design quality of Pete's kits.

Never came across 'College Models'.  Did they make 7mm kits? The inference is 'Not good'?

Yes and correct! I believe the College Models range passed to Acme Models if that helps to give you a flavour.

Edited by daifly

I suppose this loss in quality is always a risk when the proprietor of a good kit range retires and sells his business on. Although we can hope that some of the poor kit ranges (no names - no pack-drill) might get an upgrade if and when they are sold on.....

• RMweb Premium

Although we can hope that some of the poor kit ranges (no names - no pack-drill) might get an upgrade if and when they are sold on.....

Trouble is that while a new poorly designed kit added to an established and trusted range might ride the coattails of that range's good reputation, a new better quality kit added to a previously poor range will probably struggle to disassociate itself from the bad reputation of the rest of the range.

Trouble is that while a new poorly designed kit added to an established and trusted range might ride the coattails of that range's good reputation, a new better quality kit added to a previously poor range will probably struggle to disassociate itself from the bad reputation of the rest of the range.

Word soon get's around amongst the cognoscenti.....

• RMweb Gold

As  a GWR  fan I would  decline the offer JLTRT do the ones that might be of interest. The great bear is not available elswhere afaik. I think I have seen two built one by Steve Naylor which I think he was persuaded to part with. It looked nice but not much use on Branch lines.

The College Models ones were LMS I think.

Don

Word soon get's around amongst the cognoscenti.....

Chaz,

Surely not!!!

Taking the "Windscale/Sellafield" example here, if you bought a dodgy range of kits, and wanted to upgrade them, (or even just be able to sell them) you'd definitely rename the range, you'd do everything you could to dissociate yourself from the bad reputation of the previous seller.

Look how much effort & money recognised brands invest in ensuring that their reputation stays both untarnished and in the forefront of the public eye.

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Re the Skoda thing, they were the butt of lots of jokes by (I think) Jasper Carrott amongst others, and we all loved them, the jokes that is.

But the bottom line is that Skoda was a company with a very proud and distinguished engineering tradition of production of, amongst other things, locomotives, aircraft, tanks and trucks.

It was probably easier to take the p155 out of them than Rover, Austin, Morris and the other sad remnants of a once-proud UK automobile industry - noteworthy that Skoda are still making cars, etc, within the VW conglomerate, but even the might of BMW couldn't save British Leyland :(

Best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Some years ago the delivery of ABC gearbox was less reliable than today. Brian came to one of Bracks open days and was comments were made! Howver I think the arrival of Mrs Clapperton on the scene focused his attention on delivery (getting married can be expensive). It is always worth discussing your needs with Brian he will do specials to suit particular kits and when asking about a powerful small motor suggested a Maxon instead of the Mashima. or Cannon

Don

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago the delivery of ABC gearbox was less reliable than today. Brian came to one of Bracks open days and was comments were made! Howver I think the arrival of Mrs Clapperton on the scene focused his attention on delivery (getting married can be expensive). It is always worth discussing your needs with Brian he will do specials to suit particular kits and when asking about a powerful small motor suggested a Maxon instead of the Mashima. or Cannon

Don

I took the 1366 kit along to Telford and Brian had a measure up. I took his advice and went for a mini-s 3 stage box with a Maxon motor. The original mashima motor wouldn't fit within the tank when fitted to the gearbox. Looking forward to the arrival...

• Like 4

Mine is fitted with ABC 3-stage mini with a Mashima. Pretty much all my locos have ABCs of one form or another.

It's a bit noisy, but I put that down to the antediluvian decoder with which it's fitted.

Certainly adequately powerful - I recall it hauling four Bachman brass mk1's.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Had a trip to the Bodmin show today.  On the Cornwall 'O' Gauge Group layout,  'Woolbridge' I spotted a 13xx saddle tank. On enquiry I was told it was a Tower Brass loco.

Opposite was the Burnham on Sea layout 'Moorfield', where another 13xx pannier version was spotted hiding in the shed. Despite the collective memories of the three operators, the origins of the loco are unknown.

Some photos later.

• Like 3