RhB Train derails and Plunges into ravine Switzerland

Stevelewis

News  reprt  an RhB  metre gauge  train  has  hit  a  landslide  and  part  of  it  has  apparently plunged into a  ravine  (  14:30  13/08/2014)

Not sure if  I have put this in appropraite section  please move if nescessary

• RMweb Gold

http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/ostschweiz/story/Alle-Passagiere-sind-geborgen-18005231

Very nasty, appears to be mostly intact structurally. Last photo shows a driving trailer covered in mud so slightly confusing me as they don't tend to run that type with the 4/4 III. Might be two slides or some of the train got through.

One  aerial shot  seemed to  show a loco  seperated  from  the  car  leaning  over  the precipice,, Unsure  whether  this  was  the  train  loco  which  managed to stay on the  track and  was uncoupled from the  train  by the  force of the  landslide  or another loco sent from further  up/down the  line.

Or  was  the  train  being  propelled from the  other  end (ie  the non derailled end)

Link in post 4 now saying 11 injured, 5 seriously, but everyone's now rescued of the 200 on the train.

Landslip from saturated ground after exceptional amounts of rain, with up to 3 metres of material on the track over a 15 metre stretch.

• RMweb Gold

Usual balanced and knowledgeable reporting from the Beeb, I see.

"The Swiss rail system is widely seen as among the safest in the world. But Wednesday's accident comes two days after three people died when their minibus was hit by a train in central Switzerland."

What has that to do with rail safety? Few on this forum would suggest the railway was at fault.

http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/ostschweiz/story/Alle-Passagiere-sind-geborgen-18005231

Very nasty, appears to be mostly intact structurally. Last photo shows a driving trailer covered in mud so slightly confusing me as they don't tend to run that type with the 4/4 III. Might be two slides or some of the train got through.

Indeed the Ge 4/4"' looks a little close to be the train engine and on picture 4 there is something in the ravine to the left of the coach.

• RMweb Gold

There was originally another photo on that site with the older round ended driving trailer covered in mud. That's what confused me as it made it look like the 4/4 was pushing and I'd never seen that combination. I see it's been removed now so must have been from another incident.

It's not uncommon for "journalists" to mis re-use images of earlier events to spice up their story :rolleyes: Mind, I did not see that particular image you mentioned.

Not necessarily journalists; if there are no current shots available, then the editor or director will ask for library or 'stock' shots to fill the space. Bear in mind that, outside fora like this one, few people will have the knowledge or inclination to notice the difference. My wife, who used to work in television before she got a real job, used to tell the (possibly apocryphal) story of an editor who wanted a photo of the Lord Privy Seal to illustrate a piece; neither the runner sent to the library, nor the librarian, had any idea of what exactly was required. To avoid admitting defeat, the runner returned with a picture of an ermine-clad old man, another of an outside toilet, and a third with an image of an aquatic mammal with conspicuous whiskers...

• RMweb Gold

No news on the injured but track is now cleared.

A couple of videos of the recovery, note the mud still sliding down! They had a digger in yesterday to clear the main slide and they recovered the loco.

http://www.blick.ch/news/erdrutsch-drama-blick-ch-besichtigt-die-unfallstelle-id3054373.html

Kirov lifts the derailed coach up onto the track.

http://www.blick.ch/news/rhb-erdrutsch-hier-wird-der-letzte-waggon-geborgen-id3056931.html

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived