Modelling trains of Mk1 stock - whats missing?

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Just about to get to grips with our coaching stock and get it formed in to rakes

Seems to me the vehicle to focus on is the tail ender. Given that we are using Bachmann MK1 stock what detailing would give it the extra lift?

Already have tail boards and working lamp together with vac and steam heat pipes plus buckeye couplings. Also contemplating removing the footsteps on the coach ends which had gone by the blue grey era just on the end vehicles for starters, there are 60 coaches in the fleet!

Have just realised that buffers in the extended position would also be correct - can anyone suggest something suitable ?

And other thoughts most welcome!

Cheers

Phil

Adrian Swain used to do some excellent BR coach buffers in the open position. Make sure you fit them the right way up; the saddle goes to the top! I've recently used them on some BR suburbans that had "closed" buffers factory fitted.

• RMweb Gold

Gangway covers were a thing of the past when I started on BR in 1973; too much risk of contact with the OHLE.

The end covers were mainly to stop sparks, soot and other debris from getting onto the gangway connection and sliding door so that passengers didn't get dirty as they walked through when coupled. The passing of steam and coming of Mk2 stock with end doors which locked open covering the inside of the gangway made them redundant  The sliding door was originally in a dark colour (brown or black?) but was changed to a light grey (I think, possibly other shades tried?) to improve visibility when in use  

Summer '68 in the Borders - a picture telling a thousand words.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hawick/hawick(bruce_mccartney2.1968)old90.jpg

"Hawick station looking north as Waverley line services cross in June 1968. The southbound train into which mail is being loaded is the 1445 Edinburgh - Carlisle headed by D14, one of the early Peaks, still with its gangway doors."

D14 not only retains its gangway doors, it has also received economy green.  Narrow evolutionary window of pure Diesel Transition wonder.  

Given the timing of the southbound service shown, this will be the one o'clock 2S52 who we're seeing the arse-end of.  As this is undoubtedly one of the diagrammed ScR sets from Craigentinny, it's apparent that Scottish may have already abandoned gangway covers at this time, despite steam clinging on over the hill at Carnforth.

DISCLAIMER: See Mike's informative post two below this.

• RMweb Premium

I'd agree with vac and steam bags (any ETH ones??), extended buffers, dropped buck-eye, removal of steps and tail lamp for blue/grey era.

There also a step (bracketted down off the headstock) on the left side (see the pic of the BSO at Rawtenstall that TSE posted earlier)

I like the idea of scoring the inner sliding door - certainly something I recall from my spotting days. And the rubbing plates were always pretty grotty.

5500449320_8a8cf22b1f_z.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike

Its goodbye to tailboards then - a shame as its a quick fix for a tail lamp with a Bacchy one on a vehicle I haven't got round to fitting a working tail lamp to.

And would I be correct in suspecting that in our era most stock on N - SW workings would be steam heat and VB?

Phil

Hi all,

Probably the easiest way to replicate the scoring on blue/grey stock with a rail grey door would be to use a white transfer and print the scoring on it. Then use weathering powders to blend it in with the general coach end weathering.

Vin

• RMweb Gold

Been doing some work on a guinea pig!

Steps gone - except the bottom one

Buckeye, vac and steam heat added - oh and the poo shoots! Raided a sleeper detailing pack for that lot.

A bit of weathering - not completed, you get the drift - including the horizontal drag marks on the door which have been lost in the flash.

Tail lamp on order from Express Models and then theres the buffers....

post-7138-0-34474100-1409604173.jpg

Hang on why is he doing an RMB I hear you cry? Well - was always tail vehicle on 1M22 going north behind a Whizzo.

Happy so far!

Phil

• RMweb Premium

ABS Item ref F.105  BR Mk 1 coach oval buffer extended. Pack of 12, price code B (2 pounds plus 2 pounds p&p)

Address: ABS Models, 39 Napier Road, Hamworthy, Poole, Dorset BH15 4LX.

No website or e-mail. Phone no 01202 672891.

I had a pretty quick response to my order.

• RMweb Gold

Smashing

Thanks Cornelius

Will get that off tomorrow!

Hows life in Newtown? Llandinam a favourite haunt

And thanks Griffgriff - will look at that too, would be better than mounting the lamp on the coach body.

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

SmashingThanks CorneliusWill get that off tomorrow!Hows life in Newtown? Llandinam a favourite hauntAnd thanks Griffgriff - will look at that too, would be better than mounting the lamp on the coach body.Kind regardsPhil

Don't thank me too quickly. My memory today tells me they were from MJT!

Been doing some work on a guinea pig!

Steps gone - except the bottom one

Buckeye, vac and steam heat added - oh and the poo shoots! Raided a sleeper detailing pack for that lot.

A bit of weathering - not completed, you get the drift - including the horizontal drag marks on the door which have been lost in the flash.

Tail lamp on order from Express Models and then theres the buffers....

attachicon.gifDSC_0113.JPG

Hang on why is he doing an RMB I hear you cry? Well - was always tail vehicle on 1M22 going north behind a Whizzo.

Happy so far!

Phil

Hi Phil,

At the risk of unleashing a torrent of examples I will just mention this.

When I was a guard in the early 70's there was an instruction that a catering vehicle was not allowed to be the rear vehicle of a passenger train in service.

My understanding was that this was due to the fact that the rear vehicle of a train was prone to 'sway' slightly more than the rest as it didnt have the 'steadying' influence of a vehicle coupled at either end. I know that this was fact from riding in brake vans (mainly BSK or BG types) marshalled as the rear vehicle.

Obviously the less 'sway' a catering vehicle suffered the better. 

I am fairly sure the exception did happen as these things do but in all honesty I cant remember seeing a catering vehicle at the rear on the Western Region in my working days on the trains.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hi Weathering Man

Have to say I nearly posted a common sense comment in my original post saying exactly what you have voiced - common sense reinforces what you say.

However I remain convinced it was so - But the chances of finding a photo of 1M22's rear coach is remote!

However there is a shot somewhere on the web of a Peak at BNS on the return working - 1V89 - and guess what heading south theres an RMB immediately behind the loco - so northbound would be tail vehicle.

Will hunt for that again when I have more time - Meanwhile, Mr Carroll where are you with those formations please?

Kind regards

Phil Bullock

From my recollections of travelling about in Mk1s, well before the 70s however, a catering vehicle only appeared on the end if it was attached/detached en route. and the end vehicle should have a gangway cover although that was by no means universal. When the cover was missing the gangway door would very quickly get filthy with the muck sucked in by the eddies at the rear of the train. Nice clean doors like in your pic were rarely seen as the intermediate ones would be open and the end ones either dirty or covered.

Keith

Archived