Activity Media Closing Down

Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Just got an email from Activity Media: 

Activity Media is closing down

I am sorry to say that Activity Media will be closing down in the spring of 2015 as it is not economically viable to continue.
All our remaining Right Track DVDs have to go and we are starting a Closing Down Sale today.

Please visit www.model-railway-dvd.co.uk and follow the Closing Down Sale link to see what discounts are available.

Kind regards,

Chris Walsh
(Activity Media Ltd.)

Sad news!

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't agree more, I have very much enjoyed the series and it has definitely help to improve my modelling.

I did manage to grab a couple I had never got round to though as there are some very good prices in the sale.

Owen 

• RMweb Gold

It's a shame as they are well produced programmes. The most recent one on planning & design is excellent.

Perhaps the quality hasn't been translating into sales lately, although some of their earlier discs are sold out.

Mark

Perhaps an indication of less appetite for making and modifying things, as opposed to buying them "layout ready".

Does it also indicate that the DVD format is less popular than printed paper, vis Wild Swan having found a buyer for their book publication business which includes many excellent modelling guides?

Whichever, it is a shame to see a UK modelling business cease trading.

Jol

• RMweb Premium

I to have bought a few of the DVD and bought a couple more yesterday. It's a shame that a buyer could not be found - maybe even relaunch as a video on demand service?

Let's hope they are resurrected soon,

I to have bought a few of the DVD and bought a couple more yesterday. It's a shame that a buyer could not be found - maybe even relaunch as a video on demand service?

Let's hope they are resurrected soon,

The videos were made available as downloads, even broken down into sections and after talking to Chris Walsh we promoted them on here. The response was poor; maybe it's just that people turn to seeing an amateur doing something on Youtube for nothing* rather than pay a couple of quid to watch well-produced video of a professional showing a way to do it well.

Not all amateur vids are bad; just 95% of youtube is.

The videos were made available as downloads, even broken down into sections and after talking to Chris Walsh we promoted them on here. The response was poor; maybe it's just that people turn to seeing an amateur doing something on Youtube for nothing* rather than pay a couple of quid to watch well-produced video of a professional showing a way to do it well.

We used to call it 'the virtual world' but it gets closer to being the real world every day :jester:   Mind you, today the real world is too cold to venture into :senile:

The model railway hobby is in decline and this is the main issue. Maybe some people rather than paying and watching DVD's are going to online forums to find answers for nothing as well!

The world of communications is continually changing and do feel sorry for people that provide quality information and services that see their businesses disappearing before their eyes however often talented people regroup and bounce back in another form and I hope this happens in this case.

I very much agree with the above.

I really enjoy these DVDs, particularly "Painting and Lining" by Ian Rathbone, which is a fine complement to his book. It's interesting how much of a difference it makes to be able to see and hear the processes, I love the sounds of stirring paint and the whoosh of the air extractor!

I watch the video every time I start to paint a model to remind myself how to do it.

I also very much enjoy Tony Wright's kit building set; a master of unfussy, straight-forward advice and techniques. It's a great shame that there won't be any more.

Simon

I have the first 14 parts,   I find the DVD's very informative and useful, and I quite often put one on if there is not much worth watching on TV,  the one I watch most is part 4' Detailing and Improving RTR Locos and Rolling stock'.  

I would recommend these DVD's to anyone, no matter what level your modelling skills are, there is plenty we can learn from them.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with the comments... But it also might be the people prefer their modelling like the news.... In bite size chunks. 2 hours might be too much???

The two DCC dvd got me into DCC and I enjoyed and understood what was going on. I also guess that was before I joined RMWeb... I then bought the download of the wagon DVD, but still havnt finished watching them....

• RMweb Gold

I missed that they were promoted on here Andy.

Would it be worth trying again, but making the advertisement more obvious?

Maybe using the BRM model railways live video link, to actually be able to link to the video concerned?

I don't know how much you would charge to watch them though or how you would set that up.

Cheers

Ian

The model railway hobby is in decline and this is the main issue. 

I sometimes wonder if that is so. The various wish list and frothing topics would lead one to believe that it is actually doing well, but that it is changing. I am convinced that it is more about buying rather than making things and that the "collector" effect keeps the overall market quite strong.

The closing down of Activity Media is further evidence of an unwillingness to make/modify things rather than buy what is offered "as is". Lack of time and ability - the latter is surely what the DVDs set out to address - are usually quoted as being the reasons. Perhaps it is another indicator of the shift in modern Western culture, where people are more reliant on what they can buy and less reliant on "do it yourself" whether that is growing vegetables, cooking, decorating, making their own fun, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was going to stick my head above the parapet to give some alternative views on the Right Track DVD's, especially pricing and duration, but I concluded that discussing the demise of Activity Media was in bad taste.  I can only imagine the difficult decisions required to wind up a business after you've invested time and money in it, and one that you wanted to succeed.  This is peoples livelihood that is being affected, and these people now need to find other employment. I do wish them every success in whatever they choose to do next.

Activity Media has been, I am pleased to say, a very successful company. 

Not only in financial terms but, for me, there has been the satisfaction of producing programmes for the past 10 years that modellers have found useful and entertaining.  I have made many good friends from the people I have met through making these programmes and our customers.

I shall miss it very much.

I am very grateful for all the very kind comments I have received over the last few weeks.

Just wanted to join the appreciative ranks of Activity Media customers. I have also enjoyed their previous releases and feel it is a very sad situation. Thank you and best wishes for the future to all those involved.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been overwhelmed by the response to our closing down sale and the warm, appreciative posts and emails we have received.

It has been a real pleasure providing the DVD service for over 10 years and it is good to know that you have enjoyed the programmes.

We have covered the major topics in the hobby and Wendy and I have been lucky to find that railway modellers are honest, decent and friendly people.

Thanks very much for your support .

Chris Walsh - Activity Media

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just posted on the C&L Finescale website:

DVD's 

We are looking in the possibility of producing the Activity Media 'Right Track' range of DVD's ourselves, in order to keep the range available. Watch out for updates in the Blog over the coming weeks. Hopefully this will mean that we will be able to make available the whole of the range. However some serious talking needs to take place before any production takes place, as there are many issues to discuss and the all important price would have to be agreeable to both parties.

Regarding DVD 10 - Track Laying by Norman Solomon - we are having a batch specially made, but this will take approximately 2 weeks.

HTH

polybear

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

An Update:

I received an email yesterday from Activity Media (since I'm registered with them as a previous customer); they will be closing down on Thursday 30th April (i.e. next week) so I would suggest that if there are any DVD's you still wish to purchase then maybe do it on Wednesday 29th to make sure......

No connections etc etc.

HTH

polybear

Archived