Bow Locks (was A bit on the side)

Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

On of the problems with building a monster like Ravensclyffe is that it's not the kind of thing that you can easily put up when you want to play trains. It's too big to put up indoors so only gets put up in a tent in the garden with reasonable weather forecast and when I have a few days to spare and generally a bit of help.
Last year I got given some plywood, and two years ago my brother-in-law gave me a 2EPB for Christmas. I decided that I needed a little layout that I could put up and take down in minutes, something to play with and somewhere to run the EPB and a Networker that has been in the cupboard for a very long time. Add to that some track that came to me very cheap and I had no excuse, this is the result so far. It doesn't have a name yet, I'm not even sure exactly where it's meant to be located!
The whole thing is 12ft long and a foot wide and it packs down into two small boxes 3ft by a foot square

Lower level track laid
post-6674-0-46834300-1420135764.jpg

Track laying finished
post-6674-0-83513200-1420135831.jpg

Skew girder bridge that makes the scenic break for the low level
Track is held down with double sided carpet tape!
post-6674-0-38637700-1420135882.jpg

The whole layout from the other end with a better view of the bridge. Retaining walls all now added and low level ballasted
post-6674-0-00106200-1420135964.jpg

The bridge from the front of the layout
post-6674-0-51225700-1420136037.jpg

Station platform and EPB
post-6674-0-24857000-1420136197.jpg

The steps down to the yard
post-6674-0-12674900-1420136142.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Slow progress but progress...

the back scene has gained the first coat of white paint, I haven't decided exactly what the backscene will be yet but white emulsion seems preferable to plywood, the platform has been painted too, and the only signal on the whole layout has been fitted, this is simply a two aspect red/green allowing a train to leave the platform. The signal is on an extension off the side of the viaduct/embankment/retaining wall. It is wired up and does work, but at the moment the layout is not up so I can't power it up. The fence around it is a small section of the handrail off an old Hornby turntable. The other big thing I've been able to start on is the third rail, next thing now for this board is a couple of location cabinets, an impedance bond (spider) and the signal cable troughing, then I can ballast the high level.

post-6674-0-20128000-1420848344.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I've now given the backscene boards their second coat of white paint and re-attached them to the layout and reassembled half the layout. The control panel for the points and signal is detachable and can be hung on either side of the layout, the front for home use or the back for exhibiting. It is a self contained box that contains the capacitors for the points, each motor has a pair of capacitors feeding it using a circuit that I've published a few times here, it means that I can use a single pole double throw switch to feed each motor so the direction of the switch indicates the position of the blades. As it is I've used a double pole switch so the other half does the frog switching of the live frog points. Motors are a mixture of Peco and a pair of the old H&M motors on the double slip as that had had its over centre springing removed before it came to me and the H&M motors are latching.

Connection of the box to the layout is a 25pin D connector loom, the box has four power feeds, +12v and -12v for the point motors, +5v and 0v ground for the signal and eventually also for any other scenic lighting that I may add. The power supply is a box on the floor derived from an old AT computer power supply, it also gets used to power Dagworth and Ravensclyffe. The power connection from the PSU to the layout is an 8 pin Bulgin cable, and the DCC feed is via an XLR socket. Both connectors are mounted into the bottom of the main board behind the viaduct, you can see the tops of the connectors in one of the photos of the bridge above. They will be hidden by trees and buildings behind the high level line. DCC also has to be fed to the control box for the frog switching. The same 25pin looms are also used to jump between boards and so the same pins are used across every set, it makes life simple. This is the control box just sat on the layout as I only have the scenic half up for the pictures! It's a Maplins ABS plastic box with the track plan made out of strips of white plasticard glued to it with PlasticWeld.

post-6674-0-21211800-1420857207.jpg

This is the signal working, note the colour of the green, I hate the yellowy green that most LEDs exhibit, I found some much nicer blue green ones (again in Maplins) that are much more like the colour of real signals. Interestingly a friend who is red-green colour blind can tell the blue-green from red but not the normal LED green. I need to add more detail to the signal, it's just a basic Eckon item with the bulb mounts cut down.

post-6674-0-60696600-1420857207.jpg

The whole of the scenic end as it currently stands. Yes, one leg is only a foot tall as it has to sit part way up the stairs, our hall is the only place I can really put it up that isn't in the way. I do have five full height sets of legs though too!

post-6674-0-94203100-1420857207.jpg

Andi

• RMweb Premium

I'd be interested to see how it packs up as 3 x 1ft boxes, when you next do this.

I'm thinking of my next gauge 0 project and how that could work.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested to see how it packs up as 3 x 1ft boxes, when you next do this.

I'm thinking of my next gauge 0 project and how that could work.

Dava

The layout is four boards each 3ft long, 1ft wide and 1ft tall, the two end boards have end "backscene" boards, you can see them in the photos, you can also see that they have holes in the tops of the end backscenes. Each pair of boards bolt together using these holes and the holes and bolts that are used to join the boards together, the middle two boards are inverted and bolted over their respective end boards.

This is the two fiddle yard boards bolted together, they have a big hole in one side as the back(front?)scene board of the inner one is only partial to allow for the headshunt. The board at the top is purely a transit board and has no other function.

post-6674-0-96153100-1420861628.jpg

Here is a view looking down into the pair with the transit board removed, you can see that any upper level or scenic work has to be arranged to clear anything on the other board when mated together.

post-6674-0-32602200-1420861629.jpg

My little DCC demo layout "Foxglove" stores on the same principle, that folds up into a box 2ft x 1ft x 6" and has been to shows by train!

Andi

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, most useful to see these packed pics. I'm planning a similar arrangement in 0 gauge, but with a slightly wider board, say 14-15".

Dava

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A year ago I started this topic...

A large part of the year the layout has sat in its cases in the front room but occasionally I've done some work on it and sometimes just set it up to play trains for a while.

The layout has now got a name* and a location, it has landed somewhere towards the North East end of the North London line

Ladies and gents, I present - not finished but moving forwards - BOW LOCKS

post-6674-0-64145900-1451690703.jpg

Overview of the yard and station

post-6674-0-11881600-1451690714_thumb.jpg

Another view of the scenic end of the layout

post-6674-0-34281800-1451690879_thumb.jpg

East London has not escaped the recent flooding apparently!

*The name came courtesy of Clive, he'd had it in mind for a project for a long time and when he came to visit us in October we were talking about this layout and the name was passed over, thanks FBB :)

Andi

• RMweb Premium

A year ago I started this topic...

A large part of the year the layout has sat in its cases in the front room but occasionally I've done some work on it and sometimes just set it up to play trains for a while.

The layout has now got a name* and a location, it has landed somewhere towards the North East end of the North London line

Ladies and gents, I present - not finished but moving forwards - BOW LOCKS

attachicon.gifP1060694.jpg

Overview of the yard and station

attachicon.gifP1060693.jpg

attachicon.gifP1060692.jpg

East London has not escaped the recent flooding apparently!

*The name came courtesy of Clive, he'd had it in mind for a project for a long time and when he came to visit us in October we were talking about this layout and the name was passed over, thanks FBB :)

Andi

Its a real place, it is where Channel Four use to broadcast "The Big Breakfast" from. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_Locks

Edit.....The Big Breakfast studio was at Old Ford Lock, which is the next set of locks along the River Lee. Thanks to ChrisH-UK for showing me my error.

• RMweb Gold

Andi,

your quite right of course and having worked in the area for many years during my 40 years residing and working in London I should know better.I mean as if you would dream up a name like that which could be misconstrued. Well really I should know better.

Look after yourself my friend.

Regards,Del.

attachicon.gifP1060693.jpg

Reminds me of the working to AC Wards scrap metals in Silvertown that I sometimes saw on it's way too and from Stratford.  Bow Locks would fit in geographically for this trip.

Great use of space, giving food for thought.

Steven

It would be nice if Andi had room to portray the Stratford / West Ham based Chemical firm F W Berk who subsequently became Berk Spencer Acids and continued operating on the site adjacent to the District Line at  Stratford /West Ham probably into the 1980's. The buildings were demolished some years ago and since then the site appears to have remained  vacant possibly for over 20 years.

Regards, Del  . :jester: 

• RMweb Gold

I've been doing some more heavy construction work at the other end of the layout, the scenic break in the form of a road bridge. The bridge has to be removable, as does the skew bridge of the upper rail line, to allow the layout to fold into its transport configuration. All the black plastic structure around the end of the road bridge will become concrete.

post-6674-0-11746200-1451922653_thumb.jpg

Also a little bit of detailing work, the "spider" associated with the track circuit for the signal and some cable routing.

post-6674-0-00025900-1451922655_thumb.jpg

That layout looks the Dogs, I mean, Cats Bow Locks.

I like the fact you squeeze the tiniest signalling details into their relevant positions even on a small project like this.

This layout would look good at any exhibition(Are you taking bookings?)

Andy.

Archived