Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at Sir's Loco Shelves(actually just wide bridges over the FY) or Gilberts' Depots (cupboards or small cassettes and a couple of shelf bridges over the FY. They will take pics for you I'm sure. You could always work towards something more robust over the months following full ops?

Thanks Phil. I've seen photos of both on their respective topics. I think that Tony's bridges would cover too much of the loop trackwork but I'm definitely leaning towards cupboards like Gilbert's.

• Like 1

That's a possibility, although the idea of stacking loco lifts two or three high would save space. There could be up to 30 locos at Paddington either on trains or spare.

I've used loco lifts for ages. Never once had any problems. The lift itself is very sturdy.The foam sides less so. I did glue the foam in place which helps. My own view of these is they are perfect for my needs. If there was any problem with stability id be more worried about the person doing the handling and its contents than of the lift itself.
  • Like 1

Sorry that I'm out of touch (or haven't yet been around for long enough to get into touch) with so many of the good layout construction threads on here but can anyone give a link please to Gilbert's and Tony's threads? It would be much appreciated. In due course I too will face the issue of lifting locos on and off tracks so will need to investigate similar solutions of roll-on/roll-off systems as well as carriage and storage.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry that I'm out of touch (or haven't yet been around for long enough to get into touch) with so many of the good layout construction threads on here but can anyone give a link please to Gilbert's and Tony's threads? It would be much appreciated. In due course I too will face the issue of lifting locos on and off tracks so will need to investigate similar solutions of roll-on/roll-off systems as well as carriage and storage.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64295-wright-writes/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18451-peterborough-north/

• RMweb Gold

Late to the Locolift party - been (unsuccessfully) hunting an image on RMweb.

Shortliner has used Locolift storage and is well versed in bodging them. The first link shows solid sides to a single Locolift:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44026-the-fiddlestick-switch-job/page-2&do=findComment&comment=485295

The second link shows a doubled Locolift but without any sides. I’m sure that I have seen a post by Shortliner with additional ply sides to the double Locolift for this layout: I recall that they were added for longitudinal structural strength rather than stock protection. Unfortunately, that’s the photo I can’t find!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3354-jacks-in-or-shortliners-shortline/page-3&do=findComment&comment=105863

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Late to the Locolift party - been (unsuccessfully) hunting an image on RMweb.

Shortliner has used Locolift storage and is well versed in bodging them. The first link shows solid sides to a single Locolift:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44026-the-fiddlestick-switch-job/page-2&do=findComment&comment=485295

The second link shows a doubled Locolift but without any sides. I’m sure that I have seen a post by Shortliner with additional ply sides to the double Locolift for this layout: I recall that they were added for longitudinal structural strength rather than stock protection. Unfortunately, that’s the photo I can’t find!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3354-jacks-in-or-shortliners-shortline/page-3&do=findComment&comment=105863

Paul.

Thanks Paul, those are very interesting links. I was thinking of using ply or MDF but first I'm going to try foamboard as it will be easier to cut. I'm also thinking of making it half-height - like the original foam - to make it easier to see what's inside.

By the way, I now have an idea in my head for a simplified Train On Line circuit using a latching relay. Once it emerges from my head on to a piece of paper I'll say more.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well that set up looks 'interesting'. :sorry_mini: 

Knowing St. E's skill I would suggest that getting the parts for cassettes all sorted Ply or MDF + just plain track, so as to have a load of 'kit cassettes' ready to construct, will be far more robust and probably a lot less expensive for what St. E needs.     K.I.S.S. IMO. 

It might require a couple of feed tracks from the layout, just raised up for a few inches at their ends, with little female 'receptors' at those track ends to mate with the cassette ends, into which the end of the cassette slots to line up the cassette with the receiving feed track?

Phart

• RMweb Premium

Well that set up looks 'interesting'. :sorry_mini:

Knowing St. E's skill I would suggest that getting the parts for cassettes all sorted Ply or MDF + just plain track, so as to have a load of 'kit cassettes' ready to construct, will be far more robust and probably a lot less expensive for what St. E needs.     K.I.S.S. IMO. 

It might require a couple of feed tracks from the layout, just raised up for a few inches at their ends, with little female 'receptors' at those track ends to mate with the cassette ends, into which the end of the cassette slots to line up the cassette with the receiving feed track?

Phart

Thanks Phil. For a number of reasons, I don't intend to modify the track layout to provide your "feed tracks", or to dig out a length of track for conventional cassettes as others have suggested. The idea of something that just sits on the existing track is what appeals, hence my interest in the Loco Lifts.

At the weekend I'm going to try out the one I bought, just to see how it performs.

• Like 1

The idea of something that just sits on the existing track is what appeals, hence my interest in the Loco Lifts.

This is what I have decided I will need as well. A loco cassette with sides and handles but a very thin base (perhaps even one with cut-outs in the underside to accomodate the existing track) that sits on a piece of straight track on the layout with a ramp up to it from the layout track - a Hornby re-railer in reverse with power to it. I think it would be possible to get power to the loco cassette/lift tracks simply via contacts on the bottom of the lift itself. You then just drive the loco in or out like a car using a garage. The unit provides more secure storage and protection for the loco and saves handling the models. Mine will be full height with handles of some kind and might be stackable or might slide end-wise onto a storage shelf under the layout so just the front of the loco is visible.

• Like 2

This is what I have decided I will need as well. A loco cassette with sides and handles but a very thin base (perhaps even one with cut-outs in the underside to accomodate the existing track) that sits on a piece of straight track on the layout with a ramp up to it from the layout track - a Hornby re-railer in reverse with power to it. I think it would be possible to get power to the loco cassette/lift tracks simply via contacts on the bottom of the lift itself. You then just drive the loco in or out like a car using a garage. The unit provides more secure storage and protection for the loco and saves handling the models. Mine will be full height with handles of some kind and might be stackable or might slide end-wise onto a storage shelf under the layout so just the front of the loco is visible.

The peco loco lift does exactly what you describe. I have a dozen or more. They are perfect for fiddleyards.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. Can they be placed over scenic trackage on the layout to drive a loco into? That is what I need as I do not have a fiddle yard.

You need to have a fairly wide, flat area, with straight track to use them. The U channels sit on the rails, so ballast will be fine, but any trackside sticking up bits (point levers/rodding / fencing) will be in the way if too close.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128823-peco-loco-lift-dimensions/

Edited by Stubby47

Thanks. Can they be placed over scenic trackage on the layout to drive a loco into? That is what I need as I do not have a fiddle yard.

I would imagine so unless the track is unfilled in any way. To be honest I've not tried. I've only used them off scene. I'll dig one out and try it on the only part of the new layout thats got ballast etc, when I get home.

• RMweb Premium

You need to have a fairly wide, flat area, with straight track to use them. The U channels sit on the rails, so ballast will be fine, but any trackside sticking up bits (point levers/rodding / fencing) will be in the way if too close.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128823-peco-loco-lift-dimensions/

The key dimensions are length and width (ooer missus). 304 mm x 61 mm according to https://peco-uk.com/products/loco-lift-and-storage-unit.

Thanks to all for the help. I have ordered one of the Peco units and will try it out (when I have some basebords built, some track on them and it's got ballast and power!). I can at this very early stage now plan for a section of straight track with clear perimeter for the lift to be used on.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul, those are very interesting links. I was thinking of using ply or MDF but first I'm going to try foamboard as it will be easier to cut. I'm also thinking of making it half-height - like the original foam - to make it easier to see what's inside.

By the way, I now have an idea in my head for a simplified Train On Line circuit using a latching relay. Once it emerges from my head on to a piece of paper I'll say more.

It seems that 4 mm foamboard is not available easily in Australia but Bunnings list a 4 mm double-walled plastic panel called Tunnelcore which I will try instead.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tunnelcore-1200-x-1000-x-4mm-translucent-all-purpose-utility-panel_p0022363

Sometimes it goes by the trade name of "Coreflute" you might find it is cheaper from "tanking" suppliers. I have been using it as protection board for tanking in plant boxes. Other suppliers are also "temporary floor protection" companies. But I understand that you may only want one sheet so Bunnings is your best bet!

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes it goes by the trade name of "Coreflute" you might find it is cheaper from "tanking" suppliers. I have been using it as protection board for tanking in plant boxes. Other suppliers are also "temporary floor protection" companies. But I understand that you may only want one sheet so Bunnings is your best bet!

My quick Google yesterday didn't turn up Corflute in 4 mm thickness. Perhaps I should surreptitiously measure some real estate agents' "For Sale" boards...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I assume 4mm is necessary to slot into the aluminium sides of the lift?

Martin, the existing soft foam is 4 mm thick. Anything thinner would go in but would need securing somehow. Anything thicker wouldn't fit.