Cambrian Kits GWR P22 Herring ballast wagon.

bubbles2

The Cambian Kits P22 GWR Herring ballast hopper is now avaliable http://cambrianmodels.co.uk/wagon_kits_4mm.html

John Isherwood of Cambridge Custom Transfers does transfers for these but these may only be suitable for the early BR black livery.

Has anyone built any of these yet? I'm planning on getting several to add to my Dogfish ballast wagons.

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 3

Thanks for pointing that out Mike, original post edited, but I'm not sure how to change the title.

When you find out can you remove the surplus "r" in herring :-)

kI was thinking of getting one of these and try to backdate it to a P7 as my period is early 1930s.  But I now see that the Southward Bridge range my be brought back to life and they used to make an etched kit for the P7.  So I'll wait and see what happens with that.

I've laid my hands on one courtesy of Rural Railways at the Southampton show. Components shown below:

post-256-0-42700700-1422201420.gif

It is to the usual modern Cambrian spec': 1 piece body and chassis and two sets of sprues for all the details. There's some nice etched tiebars in the packet too. It looks as though it should be reasonably straightforward, which is not something you can say about every Cambrian kit!

Adam

PS - to edit the thread title, go to the first message, click edit. Below the message you will see two buttons: the right hand one says 'Use full editor' or something like that. Click of that and the title box will display for you to edit. HTH.

• RMweb Gold

Pretty sure these are Herring behind 812 in 1972.

What's their RRP can't see on the Cambrian site?

Edit : £11.30 a tad pricier than their Dogfish/Catfish, I fancy a small rake of these though.

Neilpost-6925-0-59354000-1422203804.jpg

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

http://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

A bit of research has found the transfers here on sheet BL137 although not for GWR liveried versions unfortunately.

And there's a good reason for this: the Cambrian kit depicts a vehicle that may never have seen service with the Great Western. The earlier versions were heavily riveted in traditional Swindon fashion but these were built at the tail end of 1948 according to Paul Bartlett. I've no idea how they'd have been painted...

Adam

Edited by Adam

• RMweb Gold

And there's a good reason for this: the Cambrian kit depicts a vehicle that may never have seen service with the Great Western. The earlier versions were heavily riveted in traditional Swindon fashion but these were built at the tail end of 1948. I've no idea how they'd have been painted...

Adam

Post-1948 should still be OK for the FoD in the 1960s... :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll have a few of these, but I'll herring on the side of caution when building them!

Mike.

Absolutely - wouldn't want you getting in a pickle!

Hee hee

Abbotswood needs some too

Phil

The instructions say 'between 1945 and 1948' - no reference is given for this statement (a general point: I spend my days trying to explain to students and authors the importance of showing the provenance of any information they quote, it would be nice if this happened at all in railway publications) and I don't have any GW reference books to hand. There is nothing very helpful in terms of representative number ranges for GW (as opposed to the BR batch). Since I model north of 1960 this isn't too problematic, but...

Adam

And there's a good reason for this: the Cambrian kit depicts a vehicle that may never have seen service with the Great Western. The earlier versions were heavily riveted in traditional Swindon fashion but these were built at the tail end of 1948 according to Paul Bartlett. I've no idea how they'd have been painted...

Adam

They'd have been black when new; some may have been repainted in Gulf Red; I doubt any got Olive Green. Apart from the rivets, I think the GW-built batches had Dean-Churchward brakes. Those who've built other Cambrian hoppers may be comforted to hear that the main hopper body and the underframes are one-piece mouldings.

If anyone fancies modifying these wagons into something a little different:

http://www.archive-images.co.uk/gallery/Archive-Art-Images-of-the-Ebbw-Vale-CISCo/image/53/Ebbw_Vale_CISC_EV_Wharf_20t_Hoppers_Newport_Corporation_Electric_Works

I have 2 on order from Cambrian, they look fairly straight forward to modify...

Paul A. 

• RMweb Gold

They'd have been black when new; some may have been repainted in Gulf Red; I doubt any got Olive Green. Apart from the rivets, I think the GW-built batches had Dean-Churchward brakes. Those who've built other Cambrian hoppers may be comforted to hear that the main hopper body and the underframes are one-piece mouldings.

Not so much comforted as relieved! :jester:

I got two from Rural Railways at Southampton Show yesterday.

The packet illustration appears to show the mounting for a DC handbrake lever (though not the lever itself) but this bracket does not feature in the kit itself.

It therefore seems that the kit, as supplied, will only make up as a BR-built wagon. Looks very promising, though.

John

EDIT: See next few posts where my (hopefully temporary) lack of observational skills is cruelly exposed. :triniti:  

Edited by Dunsignalling

...I think the GW-built batches had Dean-Churchward brakes...

DC brakes in 1945-8 :no:  Yes, they were on the 1902 P6 from which the P22 is derived, but not on the P22.

...The packet illustration appears to show the mounting for a DC handbrake lever (though not the lever itself) but this bracket does not feature in the kit itself....

There is a cross shaft between a pair of triangular brackets below the solebars at one end. It may look like part of a DC brake but the shaft is connected by a lever to the vacuum cylinder above. See the P22 wagon diagram and a photo in Atkins et al. The handbrake is one of the jointed lever types.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

DC brakes in 1945-8 :no:  Yes, they were on the 1902 P6 from which the P22 is derived, but not on the P22.

There is a cross shaft between a pair of triangular brackets below the solebars at one end. It may look like part of a DC brake but the shaft is connected by a lever to the vacuum cylinder above. See the P22 wagon diagram and a photo in Atkins et al. The handbrake is one of the jointed lever types.

Nick

Thanks, I've just spotted that the bracket I thought was missing is part of the main chassis moulding not on the detail sprue where I was looking! 

John

http://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

A bit of research has found the transfers here on sheet BL137 although not for GWR liveried versions unfortunately.

Also sheet BL138, I'm not sure I understand the difference between the transfer sheets and are these all straw/yellow in colour or are some white for gulf red livery?

Perhaps John will be along to enlighten us presently.

Edited by bubbles2