Snailbeach Lead Mine

Andy Y

So Andy, is this some form of museum, or are all the remain just left as they were after closure?

The site and buildings are owned by Shropshire County Council and there's free access onto the site normally. They do some tours on certain dates but any information on that is very sparse. So it's a case of turn up and have a nosey.

That was one of the few mentions in RMweb history where some abrasive posts were made. I don't think anything advanced; there are still a couple of replica wagons inside the shed and I'm not sure when and if there's any access to any material in there.

• RMweb Gold

Snailbeach was a place one drove through, aware that it had an industrial heritage, but not sure what, although there was a published history, probably from Oakwood.

After leaving posh Church Stretton, driving over the Long Mynd to Bridges (the Horseshoe Inn, where an Irish Draught horse called Seamus was seen to down a bucketful of beer IN the bar!), and then heading off over the desolate Stiperstones, coming downhill to Snailbeach felt like re-entry to civilisation, en route Minsterley and Shrewsbury.

Thanks to Andy for filling in a lot of gaps!

• Like 2

Looking at the photos, it's probably a good thing that nothing has come of it. I'm not sure it would be a good thing to bulldoze or 'refurbish' all of that lovely industrial archaeology and replace it with a generic tourist narrow gauge railway.

If I remember correctly, the engine shed area wasn't owned by the Snailbeach Railway and that is why the track remained.

I think the replica wagons were built by the body responsible for the mine area.

Esteemed narrow gauge modeller Trevor Hughes as built and is exhibiting a layout  'Crowsnest Wharf' in On16.5 - 15'x5', based on the Snailbeach District Railways set in 1926. See it at the Rochdale MRG exhibition at The Coach House, Lodge Street, Littleborough, Lancashire OL15 9AE, on Sat 11th April and Sun 12th April 2015.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for the survey Andy, Snailbeach is a fascinating location, but I'm sorry to admit I've never been there myself.

So is this the start of a possible conversion to narrow-gauge modelling for yourself?

Resistance is useless!

Dave.

So is this the start of a possible conversion to narrow-gauge modelling for yourself?

No; I've not been sketching out a 3' high model of compressed version with an inclined plane called Perkins Beach.  :no:

• Like 2

Hi all for those of you who knew him the late Dave Brewer (Meridian Models) build a 4mm model of the Snailbeach loco shed and part of the site which was fantastic, I am not sure if he finished it, but the point was the engine shed was not square, I know this as Dave measured it up after he started to build his model and had to start all over again but he wanted it to be as accurate as possible, so if a building interests you go and have a look if you can, as this is one model that would have been wrong had it been based on photos only.

Regards

Colin

The site and buildings are owned by Shropshire County Council and there's free access onto the site normally. They do some tours on certain dates but any information on that is very sparse. So it's a case of turn up and have a nosey.

The Shropshire Mines Trust have a webpage for Snailbeach Mine which gives the following information:

2015 opening Proposals
We are planning to be open
From 11am till 4pm on Sundays from June until October
Also on the Sunday and Monday of the Easter and Spring and August Bank holidays

Some earlier photos of the shed.

post-6748-0-44261200-1421789463.jpg

post-6748-0-64644000-1421789491.jpg

Both taken 11/4/1981. Formerly in front of the shed was a corrugated iron extension, built to accommodate the WD locos. The shed disintegrated over the years leaving only the wooden supports but these had been removed by the time of my photo.

Another two, taken 29/4/1995,after the tidy-up of the area had started.

post-6748-0-44960700-1421789825.jpg

post-6748-0-12325700-1421789843.jpg

On 3/2/2005, at the bottom of the hill (just above the A & I of Snailbeach in the 6" map that Andy posted), was the remains of some industrial process.

post-6748-0-82962500-1421790131.jpg

Also on the left, the filled in cutting of the Snailbeach District Railway looking to Pontesbury.

post-6748-0-59787800-1421790209.jpg

Which led to the bridge under the road into Snailbeach Village. The arch can just be seen.

post-6748-0-83643200-1421790280.jpg

A closer view.

post-6748-0-32108600-1421790477.jpg

Finally two more views of the shed, on the same date.

post-6748-0-66681600-1421790572.jpg

post-6748-0-96099400-1421790582.jpg

• Like 12

I think (?) that a 'comprehensive' book was drafted (by Andy Cuckson?) some while back but has yet to make it into print. Perhaps somebody out there can confirm or add info?

The IRS published a small book (52 pages) "The Snailbeach District Railways"  by Eric S Tonks. Originally a private publication in 1950, the IRS revised and enlarged edition published 1974.

I have no idea if it is still available but the ISBN number is  0 901096 17 2.

Cheers

Don

The IRS published a small book (52 pages) "The Snailbeach District Railways"  by Eric S Tonks. Originally a private publication in 1950, the IRS revised and enlarged edition published 1974.

I have no idea if it is still available but the ISBN number is  0 901096 17 2.

Cheers

Don

The book, and one on the Shropshire and Montgomeryshire Light Railway, both by E S Tonks were reprinted by the IRS a few years ago but I'm not sure if they're still available.

Edited by flyingsignalman