Marklin's New TGV...! (Have they over-done it?)

Hey there,

I just found this on a facebook group for MARKLIN products..... I have no idea if it's a brand new concept or pretty old. Forgive me if it's posted before.

post-21774-0-50606200-1427558332_thumb.jpg
Working wipers

I feel that it's a feature that just does nothing but add to the cost of a model un-necessarily.... ok on first glance I admit it's something that will look stunning. But is a feature like this needed? HO scale railroads have no rain and well the wiper is smaller than a staple pin. I simply don't see the need to add working wipers to a HO scale model. Does it win innovation of the year - Yes. Does it win value for money - No.

Your views please?

Cheers!

J.

• RMweb Gold

IMHO a feature more suitable for European modelers is working pantographs. Having pantos raise and lower on DCC is more useful and realistic than a small wiper.

I agree as they need to either model the windscreen washer or proved atomised water sprayers for rain with the wiper. Doors and pantographs make sense and I'd only go the whole hog with extras like the wiper once the ones that have to operate more frequently are present. Very clever but not really a wow factor item ;)

IMHO a feature more suitable for European modelers is working pantographs. Having pantos raise and lower on DCC is more useful and realistic than a small wiper.

Don't several models already do this?

Good for Marklin I say, it's certainly pushing the boundaries of modelling innovation and who knows where it will lead........

• RMweb Premium

I find it incongruous that Marklin are concerned with such detail in an HO model which retains their pizza-cutter wheel flanges, stud contact and associated eyesore skate pick-up all visible in the referenced photograph.

I'm more interested In How they get it to work, and what other applications it could be used for.

I guess a small motor with a cam? I've got several tiny motors here, taken from mobile phones, amongst other things and have been wondering what practical application they could be used for?

Hornby is to fit Railroad Mk3 coaches with flushing toilets - they will emit a brown(ish) dye onto the track every 5 minutes.

Smell will be available as standard in the main range !!!

Brit15

Really not sure what was the need to take a pot-shot at Hornby in a Marklin thread....gone too far don't you think?

Cheers!

J

mentioned on: 
http://www.maerklin.com/en/service/search/details.html?lang=en&page=5&perpage=10&level1=3928&level2=3930&artnr=&art_nr=37796&search=1&era=0&gaugechoice=0&groupchoice=0&subgroupchoice=0&catalogue=1520&features=0&searchtext=&backlink=/www.maerklin.com/en/service/search/product_search.html

The train has separately applied, working windshield wipers in each cab, and they can be controlled separately in digital operation in the respective cabs (switching function F/R)

and on the corresponding French site at:
http://www.marklin.fr/fr/produits/details_country.html?marke=1&level1=5887&nopage=1&art_nr=37796&backlink=%2Fwww.marklin.fr%2Ffr%2Fproduits%2Fproduits_france.html

Essuie-glaces fonctionnels rapportés dans chaque cabine de conduite, sélection distincte pour chaque tête motrice possible en mode numérique (fonction de commutation V/R)

and in German at

http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=37796

Einzeln eingesetzte und funktionsfähige Scheibenwischer in jedem Führerstand, je Triebkopf digital separat schaltbar (Schaltfunktion V/R)

• RMweb Gold

I've got several tiny motors here, taken from mobile phones, amongst other things and have been wondering what practical application they could be used for?

Slightly OT but I am curious. What do motors do in a mobile phone?

Now don't go making any jokes about Hornby chaps; the OP doesn't like it when you extract the yellow stuff. ;)

(Just to save him reporting any more posts).

Sorry if I offended. I was just thinking back to some of the Triang-Hornby gimmicks from the 1960s.

Certainly not a deliberate swipe at Hornby, at the end of the day what is a working windscreen wiper on a 4mm model but a gimmick.

They BBBBbuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzz, bit like the ballast bunny..........

Which some of you might recall!

They are about 10mm by 4 or 5 mm, run up to 4.5v or higher, run at about 1000rpm.

Diesel fans for starters......?

Even thought about actual axle hung traction motors........but maybe that's for another thread.

• RMweb Gold

May be a recent innovation for model trains but I recall them on model cars back in the 60s. Marklin has always been a trainset rather than a model railway. But what great train sets! One sees the same German liking for play value in Faller kits.

Corgi Toys 247 - Mercedes 600 Pullman had working screen wipers back in the 1960s.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw=CORGI%20247%20MERCEDES%20BENZ%20600%20PULLMAN%20WITH%20WORKING%20WIPERS&_itemId=121520970501

My real Ford 100E 651 BXW had non-working screen wipers around the same time.............but only going uphill. Downhill they ran at warp speed.

Archived