New 'stuff' from Lanarkshire Models & Supplies

davefrk

Porcy / Anyone,

Why two lamp brackets side by side on the lower panel?

Gordon A

Hi Gordon, the LNER built vans had two brackets and the practice seemed to continue on some BR built vans, Porcy showed me a BR built van which had them and it also had the Dowty buffers and the number showed it was built 57/58 so i must depend on which works built the van.

Dave Franks

Porcy / Anyone,

Why two lamp brackets side by side on the lower panel?

Gordon A

Hi Gordon, the LNER built vans had two brackets and the practice seemed to continue on some BR built vans, Porcy showed me a BR built van which had them and it also had the Dowty buffers and the number showed it was built 57/58 so i must depend on which works built the van.

Dave Franks

Wot Dave said. (Apart from it being dependent on which works built the van. Come on Dave, get it together. All BR Standard LNER style toads were built at Faverdale apart from the last 250 +6 built at Ashford & they definitely [but never say never] had only one lamp bracket on the screen).

Both batches of BR long step standard brake vans built  in 1950, Dia 1/506 Lot 2136(Piped) & Dia 1/504 Lot 2137 (Unfitted) had 2 brackets on the veranda screen, just as with LNER design built brakes brakes prior. Don't forget Dave, your LMS also used two lamp brackets in the centre position.

I suppose some bean counter looked at the rule book and saw there was no longer a need for 4 lamps to be shown at the rear and realised a saving could be made. This doesn't explain why some photos show that every now and then a spurious  brake van turns up that was built much later but also has two irons.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Yes Porcy, it is in hand though I can't find what railway company it belonged to.

Nope neither can I. I suspect they were still being built by BR  as they are very common in brake van pics. The handle design looks they would have been easier on the wrist (ahem) when lifting on and off.

P

Edit. I wonder if this blokes ancestors made it.

http://www.ukrailwayana.com/20140001/aslamps.htm

A good few lamp drawings for sale among the various lots. Looks like railway oil lamps is nearly as interesting a Lamposts

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Nope neither can I. I suspect they were still being built by BR  as they are very common in brake van pics. The handle design looks they would have been easier on the wrist (ahem) when lifting on and off.

P

Edit. I wonder if this blokes ancestors made it.

http://www.ukrailwayana.com/20140001/aslamps.htm

A good few lamp drawings for sale among the various lots. Looks like railway oil lamps is nearly as interesting a Lamposts

Ah, the good old red roadworks lanterns. I remember when every student's bedroom had them - worthy successors to collecting copper's helmets! Ruined everything when the flashing yellow things came along ...

Ah, the good old red roadworks lanterns. I remember when every student's bedroom had them - worthy successors to collecting copper's helmets! Ruined everything when the flashing yellow things came along ...

Still got one sitting in the hall - purloined it when I realised they were being replaced by batteries... Sorry for going OT Dave - I am going to order more lamps very soon.....

• Like 1

Yes, we didn't have those flashing yellow helmets very long.

Students kept nicking them... ;-)

• RMweb Gold

My order of GWR B020 buffers arrived safely today.

Great service Dave and lovely crisp castings as ever.... ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Bit cheeky, touting your wares on another business's thread?

Not in particular, just simply putting forward the item that is being requested.

Besides, I happily quote others on mine if it's of relevance as we all compliment each other unless everything gets duplicated.

• Like 3

Hi Robert, sorry I honestly didn't know you were doing lamps, I've been getting pestered to do head and tail lamps for some time and was told last year no-one was doing side lamps, a customer sent details of some side lamps he wanted and said to make them available to all so I did so.

Tim, I don't mind Robert coming on this thread, he puts customers my way and I put customers his so we do get along fine.

Website still not updated, blxxdy American hosting company....

Dave Franks.

And you still haven't given me the sizes!!!!!

Anyway I suppose I should take some piccies of our 'special' lamp posts on Main Street in the village of Blantyre, they are tall, thin, tapered and have an African spear finial, rather pleasing actually. Can you think why they would be of this unique design. Anybody?

Dave Franks.

Anyway I suppose I should take some piccies of our 'special' lamp posts on Main Street in the village of Blantyre, they are tall, thin, tapered and have an African spear finial, rather pleasing actually. Can you think why they would be of this unique design. Anybody?

Ahha! You've started looking at lamposts. You've admitted it... you're discovered! We've caught another Tim.

Lightning Conductors? Simply decorative? Repelling alien attack?

P

LSWR Barley Sugar / Barley Twist...

attachicon.gifcd_rop05.jpg

Look at that hot bitch!

(I've stopped fighting it Porcy, and I feel free!).

Yee ha! Look at her gyrate & whirl. Are you watching Dave?  (Nice bit of topiary too.)

Edited by Porcy Mane

Ahha! You've started looking at lamposts. You've admitted it... you're discovered! We've caught another Tim.

Lightning Conductors? Simply decorative? Repelling alien attack?

P

Nah, I just remember the disruption when they dug the holes to put them up 25 years ago. So Porcy I've got one over you at last, pity it's some auld lamp posts.

Another clue:- think Blantyre, Malawi.

Dave Franks.

So Porcy I've got one over you 

Not too difficult to achieve. :smile_mini:

Another clue:- think Blantyre, Malawi.

I suppose you'll be telling us next that the missionary position was another export of Blantyre. :smile_mini2:

P

(having done his bit this week for the Scottish export drive. 2nd packet of Tunnocks wafers polished of this morning. They will have to alter the packaging to read, "5000,016 wafers sold every week).