Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

If you expect the 25 this year and the 24/1 next year, you shouldn’t be far out.

BeRTIe

If there was a fingers crossed response I'd use it...

• Like 1

On 16/05/2022 at 21:45, brylonscamel said:

It was great to talk to those that stopped by and chatted with us about the locos and their connection with the works. It would be rude not to share a slightly wider photo of the works 'photo plank', taken just before the show - and before I got to see the 'Highland' Class 24s!

bm-inverurie-sun-04-2022-09.jpg

Will there be another run of this loco in the future?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great update, the one thing I am left wondering is about the snowploughs which are referenced as 3 piece (obviously prototypical). However I’m wondering/hoping if these will have the option for ‘outers only’ for those that use couplings. 

I asked the same question of Accurascale for the 37’s and was delighted to get the response that both full 3 piece and outers only would be supplied. There’s almost nothing more frustrating or worse looking on a Scottish loco to have to choose between snowplough and couplings when it should be feasible to have both.

Fingers crossed.

Also note to self re comments about maintaining prices, I must get round to updating my pre order to Sound.

You must mean a prototypical shackle coupling cos a toy coupling would clearly interfere with the prototypically correct centre section of the miniature ploughs.

There would be very little modelling to do to remove the centre section to make room for the RTR tension lock style of coupling though.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

You must mean a prototypical shackle coupling cos a toy coupling would clearly interfere with the prototypically correct centre section of the miniature ploughs.

There would be very little modelling to do to remove the centre section to make room for the RTR tension lock style of coupling though.

BeRTIe

Most RTR ploughs fit into the NEM socket, preventing the use of the NEM coupler.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, BR traction instructor said:

This is the SLW arrangement…on my 5077 model…

BeRTIe

C17CE6C8-10FA-4040-A8F7-9B1204C33745.jpeg

8F459113-D9E6-4C40-BC6A-95BEA8F721A3.jpeg

Thanks, that's useful, looks like you could easily cut off the lower part of middle plough and keep the rest of the arrangements integrity in place, as said above the Bachmann ploughs use the NEM socket and the Heljan ones are unusable without glueing if you cut out the middle.

• RMweb Gold

From the email update

A bit more information on the next batch of ‘Skinhead’ Class 24s is also overdue but we are sensitive to the fact that we don’t want to list too much on our website until product starts coming through… Unless you are you OK with this, knowing more models are forthcoming but will have to take their place in our backed-up production queue?

Happy modelling...

Philip, Jennie & Jamie

Any information would be welcome. I would be particularly interested if you were to do another run of 97201

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dicky L said:

From the email update

A bit more information on the next batch of ‘Skinhead’ Class 24s is also overdue but we are sensitive to the fact that we don’t want to list too much on our website until product starts coming through… Unless you are you OK with this, knowing more models are forthcoming but will have to take their place in our backed-up production queue?

Happy modelling...

Philip, Jennie & Jamie

Any information would be welcome. I would be particularly interested if you were to do another run of 97201

No point asking here , as far as I'm aware they don't check these threads 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
40 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

Any news or updates yet on the Suttons Class 24. I know we have had a taster of the 25 but just wondering how things are progressing. Hopefully we will see these in 2023 at some point, electronics and manufacturing slots permitting. 

From what I've heard it's gonna be the back end of 2023 for the Headcode 24/1 as the 25s took priority

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

From what I've heard it's gonna be the back end of 2023 for the Headcode 24/1 as the 25s took priority

I really hope it's not that long!  I've had mine on order since they were announced (a few years now) and my long-held 'back to my roots' Scottish layout plans need the Scottish locos....I have two of the earlier SLW 24's and frankly they leave competitor locos standing in terms of quality (especially the sound file and speaker arrangement) so I'm not willing to 'downgrade'.

I was under the impression that the head-code ones were slated for the early part of next year, though?  If not what a shame that all of the (equally lovely-looking) 25s in the initial batch are Western and Midland-region examples.

16 hours ago, Solo said:

I really hope it's not that long!  I've had mine on order since they were announced (a few years now) and my long-held 'back to my roots' Scottish layout plans need the Scottish locos....I have two of the earlier SLW 24's and frankly they leave competitor locos standing in terms of quality (especially the sound file and speaker arrangement) so I'm not willing to 'downgrade'.

I was under the impression that the head-code ones were slated for the early part of next year, though?  If not what a shame that all of the (equally lovely-looking) 25s in the initial batch are Western and Midland-region examples.

I was in contact recently with Suttons and was told the 24s would definitely towards the back end of next year , I too am feeling a bit disappointed as I have had my 3 on order since announced and holding off on building my Scottish layout for the time being even though I have 7 of the skinhead 24s to represent ones that spent some time at Inverness in the 70s

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

I was in contact recently with Suttons and was told the 24s would definitely towards the back end of next year , I too am feeling a bit disappointed as I have had my 3 on order since announced and holding off on building my Scottish layout for the time being even though I have 7 of the skinhead 24s to represent ones that spent some time at Inverness in the 70s

Ah, that is a bit of a blow - wonder why the 25's leapfrogged the 24's when they were announced so much later?  Perhaps Heljan's re-vamped 26 will beat the SLW 24s to the market then, that also looks to be a very promising model.

Edited by Solo
grammar
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Solo said:

Ah, that is a bit of a blow - wonder why the 25's leapfrogged the 24's when they were announced so much later?  Perhaps Heljan's re-vamped 26 will beat the SLW 24s to the market then, that also looks to be a very promising model.

I think the 25 took priority due to Heljan getting theirs to market and Bachmann having one in the pipeline , the retooled Heljan 26 doesn't look too bad , had my hands on it at the DEMU show , I have a few of the older model , whether I upgrade depends on the finished product and if any are suitable to my requirements

• RMweb Gold

Not sure that the 25 did leapfrog anything. Philip’s hand was rather forced into announcing it before he had intended, how long he had actually been working on it is not known. 

All I know is i look forward to my 25s and headcode 24s. 

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 2