Heaton Lodge Junction

I went with three friends on Sunday and we all enjoyed the show. HLJ is awe inspiring in the flesh and the general standard of the other layouts was very good. They also had some really excellent pasties in the cafe!

It will be a pity if HLJ isn't shown again but I'm certainly glad I got to see it this time.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Myself and two friends went on Sunday, a fourth was due to go but struck down by some 'virus'. We went back to view the scene several times during the day as the level of detail and overall atmosphere was superb and the amount of work is staggering.

Generally large continuous run layouts don't do a great deal for me as often minimal trains running, however HLJ does not fall into this category. Yes there were periods waiting for a train or two to run past, but because of the quality of the modelling, this was not a concern and stood happily awaiting the arrival of the next train.

We have all seen other large layouts, but often built by an army of modellers, yet Simon has the enthusiasm, vision and skill to pull it off with an incredible result and should be applauded. Plus to undertake the considerable logistic planning for a three day show is truly remarkable.

Although, clearly the costs involved in transportation, venue hire etc are huge, I would certainly want to see HLJ again and would recommend that anyone interested in railway modelling and indeed railways in general get to see HLJ themselves.

There must be hundreds if not thousands of hours of videos taken by the visitors over three days, I certainly had almost an hours worth, it does not really translate into seeing the layout in the flesh.

The rest of the exhibition should not be overlooked either, as this was also very good.

Simon, once the 'dust settles' and you have had chance to take stock, you should be immensely proud of what you have achieved and the enjoyment that it has given to so many people.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Last weekend's show was well out of my area so I wasn't there but was so impressed by my first visit to Wakefield that I went again during the second week.

None of us manages to get everything 100% for the whole time. There will always by a few faults on layouts at shows, at recent ones I have seen a few running problems due to lack of running for the past two years.

Sometimes I think that the overall impression will make small errors almost disappear from sight. I remember commenting on something Simon had done probably about three years ago. It didn't look quite right on a close up photo but when I purposely looked for it on the layout it took me a few minutes to find it because it blended in perfectly with its surroundings, 

I've seen many of the errors people comment on during my long career on the railway, like tail lamps missing, tail lamp in the middle of a train when somebody forgot to take it off during attaching, wrong headcodes, badly loaded wagons.

It would be a pity not to see HLJ on the road again but I can understand if that is the decision in the cold light of day given transport and venue costs let alone the physical and mental strain. I well remember the toll managing major engineering works took on me including one particular job where I got home on Monday lunchtime, sat in a chair and immediately fell asleep, not waking until Tuesday morning.

I just hope that the 'Dark Side' of the layout continues to develop and I get to see it again in the future.

• Like 2

Hi Simon. Just catching up with the thread. Sounds I missed a great exhibition. Sadly the odds were stacked against being able to get along to see HLJ at Bath. 
Even more saddened to read that the layout may not be exhibited again due to rocketing costs etc. 

If you do decide not to exhibit the layout again, is there a possibility of having a number of open / running days a year where the layout is normally housed if the location is suitable? 
Regards. 
Bill. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I ummed and ahhed about Wakefield but the time was awkward, and this one far too far away. Oh well, win some you lose some and if I never get a chance to see HLJ in the flesh then at least I've seen plenty of it on here as it's developed, and that's been well worth it. So a big vote of thanks anyway.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Dear Simon & HLJ Team

After seeing all the railway modelling media coverage about the development of the layout, I was disappointed that it was only going to be exhibited in Wakefield.

However I was delighted to subsequently see in the modelling magazines that you were exhibiting at the Bath & West Showground which, as I live in South West Wales, was more of a manageable trip.

So on Saturday my family and I were able to see the layout and was astounded at how amazing it was and greatly appreciative of the effort you guys have put into the project.

Having read some of the comments on here, from looking around the exhibition, yes it was a male dominated audience but it was great to see a whole mix of other attendees - other parents with kids, pensioners, people with physical or mental disabilities and their carers - it just showed that we're such a broad body of enthusiasts and to misquote a line from a famous baseball film "if you stage it, they will come".

So for a 240 mile round trip, it was very much worth it. My eldest daughter definitely enjoyed it and showed an interest. Also seeing layouts in the flesh reignited why I enjoy the hobby across all timescales (before I'd just watch highlights videos from exhibitions and skip the non-diesel/electric layouts).

Therefore please don't be downhearted about some of the feedback. It's a great layout and I hope you're able to take it around the country for others to enjoy - Warley in November ? (Although please don't come to South Wales too soon because my wife will question the reason for Saturday's trip 🙂 )

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Hi Simon and anyone supporting HLJ last weekend,

200 mile round trip to see this on Saturday and I would break into a Proclaimers rendition given the chance.  Quite simply jaw-dropping - the ambition and execution; the scale, the detail, everything.  

It’s not my modelling scale, region or era (obvious steam special apart) but it brought back vivid memories nonetheless.  Huge congratulations, appreciation and thanks for making this happen.  

However, I spotted a discarded Walkers crisp packet that was 7 months and 5 days too early for the period depicted.  Really.  Disgraceful and you should do better.  🧐🤣

I have just filled up my car and I can’t begin to calculate how much it must have cost to transport it, let alone the hours, energy, expertise and funds required to get it to this stage.  You have my total admiration.  I thought I was trying to do something mad with 40’ of North London in my loft, but I think I just need to get my finger out.  

Iain 

• Like 8

On 11/04/2022 at 06:59, HeatonLodge40 said:

I and others have worked tirelessly for months on this sort of thing, so when I get comments from BR ex drivers (as on Saturday) with absolutely nothing positive to say apart from tail lamps missing (for the same reasons as above) it’s pretty demoralising.

It's part of my day job to hang tail lamps on the back of real freight trains, and I've got to be honest, I was far more enthralled with the details of everything else on the layout to bother looking whether one or two were missing! 

I absolutely loved all the little details, some I'd seen on here (like you and your friends on the fence) but others were new to me (like the bike jump pallet) and the whole scene oozed atmosphere. Little details like the BR van having an open door and staff around it too, so many people just plonk on a vehicle out the box and 'that'll do'.

It's a shame if it does never get to go out again, but I'd love to see the station and yard develop.

I was on Oldshaw Friday and Saturday, and early Friday when I heard a 56 revving up on Heaton Lodge, that was it, I was hooked!

As an aside, my wife decided her grandma would like it, so brought her along Saturday,  both model railway show newbies. They both loved it, the atmosphere, the little details and the extra layouts too. We've got a way to go to convert them to regular visitors, but they were very glad they came.

Thanks Simon.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 15

10 hours ago, 92220 said:

However, I spotted a discarded Walkers crisp packet that was 7 months and 5 days too early for the period depicted.  Really.  Disgraceful and you should do better.  🧐🤣

Personally I have my doubts whether Thomas the Tank Engine really used that line during the time period depicted; an outrageous error.

We intended to leave about an hour earlier than we did but we had to see and hear that 56 on the coal train "just one last time" about four times; an absolute dirty beast of a train, it really looked and sounded the part.

It was the first exhibition I've been to in 30 years and I was blown away by the sheer ambition of it. It's massive, yet chock full of detail; we thought the derelict factories in particular were absolute masterpieces.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2022 at 06:59, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thanks for the comments all of which I’m very aware of, but what you don’t factor in is the constant changing of stock that has to be made when issues occur with rolling stock running constantly for days at a time.

I and others have worked tirelessly for months on this sort of thing, so when I get comments from BR ex drivers (as on Saturday) with absolutely nothing positive to say apart from tail lamps missing (for the same reasons as above) it’s pretty demoralising.

On a general note I understand the show went down well, but given the rocketing cost of fuel and other rising costs I very much doubt HLJ will be out again so I hope it was enjoyed by those who saw it. 

Simon 

Hi Simon, don't let a few critics put you off.

We visited on Saturday and thought the whole thing was fantastic. Brilliant layout and a very well organised show, right from the car parking through to the friendly and helpful ladies on the door....and the excellent bacon baps. 

We had a great time and can only admire the sheer amount of effort you have put into this, it is mind boggling.

Well done you should be very proud and pleased about it all. A truly wonderful achievement.

Ian Coleby

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Your always going to get the nick picking folk and for someone from outside the community not used to it may seem very demoralising, the best relief is to indirectly fight back and get a good laugh out of it by a making glaring error on purpose to really annoy them such as a loco that is way out of period or region and to continue using it ignoring their huffing

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I visited on Friday with four friends from our club. We were all very impressed with the layout and really enjoyed our day out. If this is the last outing then I’m doubly glad I made the effort to travel down from Surrey and the one club member who missed out through Covid will be doubly gutted!

Heaton Lodge is a true inspiration for its scale and ambition. You should be immensely proud.

I thought the mini show format worked really well. The other layouts were well worth seeing and we spent six hours there in total. Great value for £10.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sir douglas said:

Your always going to get the nick picking folk.....

*you're

I'll get my coat......

(Appologies sir Douglas, all done in jest, that's just the perfect opening line for a spelling pedant 🤣)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, sir douglas said:

the best relief is to indirectly fight back and get a good laugh out of it by a making glaring error on purpose to really annoy them such as a loco that is way out of period or region and to continue using it ignoring their huffing

Even better is to find a photo of  something almost unbelievable and reproduce the event on the layout. When they start to whinge produce the photo. 

I'm not familiar with your period in the north but at the time in the Midlands we used the get 3-car DMU sets comprised of three different classes in three different liveries. I'm sure we could have sent one there, after all I did get to York on a Class 116 with WM logo subbing for a failed HST.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, sir douglas said:

Your always going to get the nick picking folk

53 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

*you're

I'll get my coat......

(Appologies sir Douglas, all done in jest, that's just the perfect opening line for a spelling pedant 🤣)

Nit.

Mike.

I'll get my coat as well!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Hi

Apologies but I couldn’t let that one slide.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 5