TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

Lining commences!

They won't get the full set, as I don't have the patience for that (and I think it doesn't quite look right with the lining transfers being a bit thick), but will hopefully end up being recognisable.

image.png.35d91a05192647c8288c67554c67f736.png

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

After a lot of tedious lining and trimming, and a couple of coats of varnish this morning, here we are! Fitting in nicely with the previously built 2nd and 3rd class brakes.

image.png.aec7df72b7c15c12f2472a0ca471e6c7.png

image.png.5d14b665740880fdb6670bf62336753e.png

Still to do: wheels, running boards, glazing, interiors, brakes, handrails, door handles, grab handles, weathering - oh, and all the transfers on the other sides, as they're only one-sided at the moment! May take me a little while to get round to all that...

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

I made an N Gauge photo plank a while back, and finally have some things to put on it:

A Manning Wardle Class F - or close to, the footplate is a bit high, but I was limited by the chassis (idea shamelessly pinched from Gareth Collier!)

m1.JPG.3b9f00a4f5146fc8336c71858bfa77bd.JPG

A Fowler Diesel - the wheelbase is a tad small, but overall the dimensions aren't too far off

f2.JPG.4817330902ef94caa18f9687e7aae04c.JPG

A Barclay - pleased with the wasp stripe transfers! Also surprisingly heavy, the boiler is made of steel rod and there's lead in the tank. Pickup still isn't great though

b2.JPG.2fa6414efddd2b202a659c2f585ba7e4.JPG

A Hudswell - pretty happy with this one - the dimensions are remarkably close to the Middleton Railway's "Mary"

h1.JPG.411a8592a96dd3ccd8f0d48cbf91f56a.JPG

Not sure what I'll do with them now though! Might have to make a small shed scene in a display case or something.

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

9 hours ago, MattDitch said:

These are fantastic! 

Do you have any plans to release the files for these or sell them? 

Thanks 🙂

They are available now on Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ts-engineering

Not expecting them to make my fortune, but a few people have asked and it's much easier than doing all the sales and production myself.

I know Shapeways has their issues with both cost and print quality, but they base their pricing on size, so for things this small the highest detail material stays reasonably affordable. I've not bothered making it available in any of the lower-grade materials!

Edited by TurboSnail
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Nah, you're good.   They're dirty.   Private & industrial locos seemed to pick up and retain more overall grime than main railway locos.   That holds especially true on colliery lines.  Coal dust gets everywhere.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Coal dust gets everywhere.   

Hence the thought behind employing a Fireless to work the areas with the worst coal dust! Not sure it would meet modern ATEX requirements though...

• Like 1

A nice "mindless" build done over the last couple of evenings - a very old Kiel Kraft Foden kit, with a few tweaks - added front roof supports, brass safety valve tube, cab steps, flywheel, steering wheel and chopped about 2/3 out of the flatbed length! I'm hoping it represents a haulage contractor's wagon, that would tow a trailer with the flatbed space used for ballast for traction - I've also added a bar on the back to resemble a trailer hitch. Will hopefully get some transfers at some point, and I need to find some thread to make into the chain drive.

IMG_20220704_2139012.thumb.jpg.24f772e8977829eb30f7da3b99225f36.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Thinning out the backlog of kits to build, some wagons going together this week

IMG_20220728_080857.jpg.3d0a878ad92280ed9fb4ff0f89c4f062.jpg

The old dumb buffered wagon has developed a nice sag in the middle.

I could give a good home to a few of these.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
Extra comment
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

The old dumb buffered wagon has developed a nice sag in the middle.

Question, but is a sag appropriate? I thought that the compression loads on solebars led to an upwards rather than downwards curve - hump rather than sag?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Not sure on that one - on that particular design, with the wheels very close to the ends, it would have more bending force from the load than most wagons where the wheels are proportionally further inboard. But if it had pre-tensioning on the bottom of the solebars or something it could potentially bow up as the wood deteriorated. I'm no wagon construction expert...

However, I can confirm in this case that the sag is entirely accidental - a result of incorrect settings and curing of the 3D print!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2