Freight, departmentals and specials in Sussex

On 20/04/2022 at 20:19, Claude_Dreyfus said:

The return is the 1Z54 17:52 Cannon Street to Eastleigh, via the Arun Valley. Hopefully it will be running to time, or pretty close to time, as the weather is going to be quite pleasant and I should get a good picture from my favourite location. If it is running late it may pass after the sun has set.

I do not know when the last class 50 was in that part of Sussex. 50008 and 50015 were at the Brighton 150 celebrations, and I recall 50029 and 50030 operating a railtour along the coastway as part of the class finale. That was 30 years ago! 

There was a tour that took in Eastbourne around 2009/10 ish. I know because I was taking photos from the roof of the NCP (Junction Road) Car Park, and they sent a security guard to check I wasn't intending to jump! - He looked relieved when another couple of photographers turned up!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

Annoying, I live in HH and my garden backs onto the BML - but i never seem to get wind of anything going past until it's too late- is there a good place to figure this out?

Although I started this thread to record the increasing freight traffic in and out of Newhaven's two aggregates depots, it has developed into a thread for non-routine traffic - i.e., as the new thread title says, freight, departmental/engineering and also passenger specials. I was alerted to the Ore No More by an initial post with a brief outline and then more details were given. We ended up with a complete timetable.  This is one of the links that gave us the info. I don't know how long it will stay active, but it is up now. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U63918/2022-04-23/detailed The full schedule was posted last Thurday at 9.35, if you go back to page 4 of this thread.

It would be good if those that follow the various tour operators schedules shared their information, when they are aware of specials coming into Sussex. I haven't tried to search myself, but one should be able to search for rail tours or specials to spot likely visits to our area. Then use realtimetrains to pin down the details. I guess their information comes out within the weeks immediately before the tours.

Happy hunting, William.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now that I have changed the thread's title I can, with a clear conscience, add a few past specials I have snapped. I will also try to round up my departmentals, for a later post. I also have a fair number of shots of movements in and out of the St Leonards depot of Hastings Diesels which could be added.

Tangmere Hastings 22 12 09 a.jpg

Tangmere Hastings 22 12 09 c.jpg

Seaford 150 70013 Oliver Cromwell in Newhaven Harbour station 7 6 2014.jpg

Seaford 150 70013 Oliver Cromwell near Tidemills 7 6 2014.jpg

Seaford 150 70013 Oliver Cromwell to Newhaven Marine 7 6 2014.jpg

Seaford 150 33207 Newhaven 8 6 2014.jpg

Seaford 150 44932 Newhaven Town 8 6 2014.jpg

Seaford 150 44932 Seaford 8 6 2014.jpg

Class 5 44871 Lewes 22 6 2019.jpg

Class 33-2 33207 Lewes 22 6 2019.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 6

Just a quick heads up for those interested. There is supposed to be a diesel hauled Pullman through Lewes on the Down Main on Saturday 30th April. 

https://www.belmond.com/trains/europe/uk/belmond-british-pullman/journeys/brighton-belle-anniversary-michael-portillo?adults=2&departureDate=2022-04-30&packageCode=PBBA

Although I’m currently struggling to find any timings at the moment. So it might not run. 

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Closes I can see is timing’s for a FRT out of Victoria at 10:30 arrives Brighton at 11:57. It routes via Herne Hill and then down the BML. I cannot see the return yet.

Keith

Looks like it is the 16:01 off Brighton

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U66006/2022-04-30/detailed

Also looks like the stock is being berthed at Newhaven Town Yard during the Brighton layover.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Looks like it is the 16:01 off Brighton

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U66006/2022-04-30/detailed

Also looks like the stock is being berthed at Newhaven Town Yard during the Brighton layover.

Where is Newhaven Town yard? Is it the northern (Days) aggregates siding? They refer to the southern aggregates line still as Newhaven Marine. There are no other sidings apart from these two freight terminals. Perhaps the line to Seaford has been down graded to a siding. I am surprised that there isn't adequate space in Brighton or Preston Park.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Where is Newhaven Town yard? Is it the northern (Days) aggregates siding? They refer to the southern aggregates line still as Newhaven Marine. There are no other sidings apart from these two freight terminals. Perhaps the line to Seaford has been down graded to a siding. I am surprised that there isn't adequate space in Brighton or Preston Park.

Being the weekend, the aggregates siding to the north of Newhaven Town would make sense, they like to keep the Marine clear for any short notice turnbacks of the Seafords which couldn't happen if a railtour stock was sitting there.

Siding space at Brighton is at a premium, the down side that stretches up as far as Preston Park plus the PP sidings themselves are all Thameslink and Lovers Walk is usually pretty full plus there would be an issue with route/traction knowledge.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Being the weekend, the aggregates siding to the north of Newhaven Town would make sense, they like to keep the Marine clear for any short notice turnbacks of the Seafords which couldn't happen if a railtour stock was sitting there.

Siding space at Brighton is at a premium, the down side that stretches up as far as Preston Park plus the PP sidings themselves are all Thameslink and Lovers Walk is usually pretty full plus there would be an issue with route/traction knowledge.

Thanks John. Now I have an idea where to point my camera! I might try Lewes and then back there, given it going to be there a while. Might even do Brighton arr as well.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Belmond Brighton Belle excursion 30.4.2022. Photos from Brighton on arrival, Lewes en route to Newhaven Town yard ECS, and at Newhaven from my train home. The ECS movement was several minutes early through Lewes and I nearly missed it.

Musicians & greeters await the Belmond excursion Brighton 30 4 2022.jpg

Musicians practice while awaiting the Belmond excursion Brighton 30 4 2022.jpg

DB Cargo 67005 Queen's Messenger - arriving at Brighton 30 4 2022.jpg

1522602136_DBCargo67005QueensMessenger-arrivingatBrighton3042022withobstructions.jpg.94e308b914b3d4f68f019a3bc1e94de7.jpg

Belmond 67024 - with Audrey & Perseus arriving at Brighton 30 4 2022.jpg

Belmond 67024 arriving at Brighton 30 4 2022.jpg

Belmond 67024 on arrival at Brighton 30 4 2022.jpg

Chattanooga Choo-choo greets the Belmond excursion Brighton 30 4 2022.jpg

Southern 313217 & DB Cargo 67 005 Queen's Messenger Brighton 30 4 2022.jpg

Belmond Pullman car builder's plate, Brighton 30 4 2022.jpg

Belmond Pullman car Phoenix name panel, Brighton 30 4 2022.jpg

DB Cargo 67005 Queen's Messenger - passing Lewes ECSM  30 4 2022.jpg

Belmond 67024 passing Lewes with ECS 30 4 2022.jpg

Belmond train locos at Newhaven Town yard 30 4 2022.jpg

DB Cargo 67005 Queen's Messenger and Michael Portillo at Brighton 30 4 2022.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
Incorrect caption
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Morning All…

In case anyone isn’t aware, today is the final rail tour with the Southern 455 units. Fairly unusual in Sussex but not unheard of.
The Metro Marauder…

Supposedly 455841 & 455835 are in use.

Realtimetrains link

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:X48583/2022-05-14/detailed

Metro Marauder train reporting codes.

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/events/the-metro-marauder-london-victoria-brighton

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Includes a rather odd shunt, running through Horsham down to Billingshurst, then over the crossover and back up.  Probably be the first bit to be binned if it is running late (and there is a broken down 455 at Wandsworth Common at the moment...)

I have seen a few armchair experts on social media complaining about the route.  Really wish someone would take their keyboards away...

• Round of applause 1

Yeah saw that cracked 455 at Balham. Cleared so things would seem to be ok. 

Yeah Billinshurst…as spelt in Real-time. 😀….

Yup totally agree, take their keyboards away. It was never going to satisfy everyone anyway. 

• RMweb Premium

The armchair experts were mainly whinging that the 455 tour was not taking in many suburban lines where they regularly worked, and indeed they aren't even going on it in the first place!!  The fact that the 455's (well now minus 455811 which has just been dragged back to Victoria in disgrace, never to turn a wheel in service again) are still in service throughout today seems to have completely passed them by...

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has anyone been photographing the R.H.T.T. recently?  Saw it trundle down through Lewes a few weeks ago one Sunday, with 'Broadlands' in 'proper rail blue' on the front, and hoped someone with a camera was taking an interest.  Made my heart skip a beat for 'the old days'...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, C126 said:

Has anyone been photographing the R.H.T.T. recently?  Saw it trundle down through Lewes a few weeks ago one Sunday, with 'Broadlands' in 'proper rail blue' on the front, and hoped someone with a camera was taking an interest.  Made my heart skip a beat for 'the old days'...

I’ve posted a few pictures of  it in the RHTT thread, unfortunately you couldn’t really tell the colour under all the muck. See 

and  

Broadlands was trailing both times 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Steam to Eastbourne today, with 44871 on 1Z71.

9 minute late departure from Hastings on the way back on the way back (1Z73), as much as +18 at Tonbridge, but obviously a decent run as was only 5 minutes late into Victoria.

Obligatory phot through the fence at Eastbourne from me following a late lunch break!

315894616_10160520895279711_2710412977025791133_n.jpg

• Like 5