The 2nd Official APT-E Thread

rapidoandy

10 hours ago, marcusd666 said:

Quick question. seeing that i have a small 9ft end to end layout so running in will be very hard. Can you run the power cars on there own i.e.. on a rolling road ?

Yes, it's possible if you couple one of the E1T artic bogies under the rear end to support it. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Snap :D

My second Rapido product - the first being the Rails Dyno.

Curious, the DPD email says today but when you track it, it says they don't have it yet.

Not too bothered, as long as it arrives at some point and intact.

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Ours have arrived.Great artwork on the box. Sorry, too well packed to show contents. Impressed? We are.

RAPIDOAPT.jpg

Looks like an album cover from Kit and the Tiltpacks.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

APT is here!

Friday 18th ; arrived about 1430 ish with DPD. Artwork on Box very nice.Had a quick inspection of contents  ,all looks very impressive ,also looked at instructions about putting it together,I think that can wait for another day!

Edited by d46037
Remove unnecessary text
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Curious, the DPD email says today but when you track it, it says they don't have it yet.

Not too bothered, as long as it arrives at some point and intact.

Ah, updated to say they have it. I have a Hermes or whatever they're called parcel stuck in limbo at the moment but DPD are usually much better.

7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Indeed ! Given that LPs were 12 inches in diameter, then you'd actually fit one inside this box. Limited edition anyone ?

Seriously, mine arrived today courtesy of Parcelforce - well impressed with both the packaging and the model, although it looks to be one that you only put together once if at all possible. 

The price too looks relatively good value - £407 with twin powered cars, with sound. Compare that to around £326 being asked for Hornby's HSTs due later this year, 1 power car, one dummy, no sound......

• Like 1

We had a good lineup then, yes. Trevor Easton on pumps, Steve Rice on hand valves, Nick Breary on accumulators and me on servo-valves. Trevor and Nick could really lay down a good rhythm backing and Steve and I pretty well zapped it on vocals too.

Our debut gig at Leicester's De Montfort Halls supporting Rod Stewart was a blast! :D

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

So, I went full crazy person and picked one up at Ally Pally. Not ran it yet or anything like that but couple of things to look into:

1) Need to come up with a DCC address, did the real thing ever get a TOPS number or anything? I'm half tempted to use 152 in reference to its speed record for lack of better choice.

2) Suggestions for display case/storage that doesn't require to uncouple it all the time (can't store on layout as not permanent). Best I've seen is those trainsafe tubes but quite expensive  without even considering the possiblity of import costs/taxes due to being an EU based company. Any alternatives?

7 hours ago, Kaput said:

So, I went full crazy person and picked one up at Ally Pally. Not ran it yet or anything like that but couple of things to look into:

1) Need to come up with a DCC address, did the real thing ever get a TOPS number or anything? I'm half tempted to use 152 in reference to its speed record for lack of better choice.

2) Suggestions for display case/storage that doesn't require to uncouple it all the time (can't store on layout as not permanent). Best I've seen is those trainsafe tubes but quite expensive  without even considering the possiblity of import costs/taxes due to being an EU based company. Any alternatives?

No, E-Train never carried a TOPS no. and one was never even . Its only 'identity' was 'APT-E' as shown on the Rapido model. Sounds like 152 would be very appropriate. :D

I have one of the original batch of E-Train models and had the same problem as you, and as you say, the Trainsafe tubes are not exactly cheap, so I made a storage case of my own from a length of large electrical conduit. with a length of track glued to the bottom and strategically placed foam blocks inside to stop the model bouncing off the walls of them conduit.

I couldn't just leave it grey though, so I painted it appropriately..... :D

I'd like to upload some pics, but the current site problems won't seem to let me sadly. I did a write up on the case in the original E-Train model thread and there's a full set of pics there.

Carry case-a.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 20/03/2022 at 23:33, Kaput said:

No, E-Train never carried a TOPS no. and one was never given . Its only 'identity' was 'APT-E' as shown on the Rapido model. Sounds like 152 would be very appropriate. :D

I have one of the original batch of E-Train models and had the same problem as you, and as you say, the Trainsafe tubes are not exactly cheap, so I made a storage case of my own from a length of large electrical conduit. with a length of track glued to the bottom and strategically placed foam blocks inside to stop the model bouncing off the walls of the conduit.

I couldn't just leave it grey though, so I painted it appropriately..... :D

I'd like to upload some pics, but the current site problems won't seem to let me sadly. I did a write up on the case in the original E-Train model thread and there's a full set of pics there.

Carry case-a.jpg

Edited by Mr_Tilt

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Got mine shortly before the server meltdown. 

Have to hand it to rapido it's fantastic. It really feels like no expense was spared. The twin motors and speakers are fantastic. The articulated and tilting bogies are simply amazing. The livery is spot on.

The only parts I can find wanting is the fit of the front nose and screws visible through some of the windows. They are so minor however that doesn't really detract from what is a superb bit of engineering. 

Couple of questions

1. Any idea where all the bits go or are they spares!

2. Mine has 4 window wipers yet I believe one of the power cars only should have 1? What's the best way to correct this?

PC1 had two wipers, and PC2 had one, after the initial run anyway. 

Maybe just slice one off with a scalpel? Normally PC2's wiper parked to the left viewed from inside the cab, but it was equally likely to park to right when something went wrong.

I know that's hard to believe, but things did go wrong now and then......... 🙂

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1