Message - PECO Website Domain Has Been Suspended

OFFTHE RAILS

This evening I tried to access the Peco website "peco-uk.com" but  the following message was displayed:

Domain has been suspended. In order to have a current information (sic) in the WHOIS, ICAMM - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names And Numbers - has required all accredited providers for domain registrations

Whatever that means - it seems to be an EU initiated internet security requirement. But the poor grammar hints it might be a hack of some sort.

Anyone any ideas  ????

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It's throwing ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID with Chrome which means that the certificate being returned by the site does not claim to be from peco-uk.com.

Could be several reasons but at the least implies a technical issue. It could mean the site server is down (it's always been slow and creaky) and we're being redirected to a temporary one that doesn't have the correct certificate.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep, seems to be a hacker at work, as this different, but to the point message was displayed:

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to peco-uk.com. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal

information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

Best steer clear for a while and hopefully, better than normal service will be resumed shortly.

Bill

Edited by longchap
More speed, less haste

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, longchap said:

Yep, seems to be a hacker at work, as this different, but to the point message was displayed:

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to peco-uk.com. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal

information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

Best steer clear for a while and hopefully, better than normal service will be resumed shortly.

Bill

That's a boilerplate warning. Doesn't mean that the site has been hacked merely that it's claiming to be someone other than what it should. You can sometimes override the warning anyway but in this case Peco have configured things so that you can't even do that (which is good). Hopefully it's just a server glitch. Maybe they are finally upgrading the server to run on something other than a Z80 :D

Edited by AndrueC
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Not for me. The certificate is still incorrect:

image.png.764c5f861b1832d0b1f81ddc542ddfcd.png

The certificate I'm getting back is issued to the wrong domain '*.controlpanel.pro' which sounds like it's hitting a server that is no longer serving the actual site. Or maybe it's a failover site that allows an admin to login from a different domain.

What IP address are you getting if you ping it? I get:

C:\Users\Andrue>ping peco-uk.com

Pinging peco-uk.com [81.88.63.46] with 32 bytes of data

But my latest theory is that they have a load balancer in place and one or more of the actual servers has failed and the balancer hasn't noticed. That would explain why it works for some people as it would depend which server the balancer chose to send you to.

Thing is theories are like a-holes. Everyone has them :)

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pinging peco-uk.com [23.227.38.65] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 23.227.38.65: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=57
Reply from 23.227.38.65: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=57
Reply from 23.227.38.65: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=57
Reply from 23.227.38.65: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=5

If I just type the IP address 81.88.63.46 into the address bar in Chrome, I get the message 

Domain has been suspended

Verify the email

In order to have a correct information in the WHOIS, ICANN - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers - has required all accredited providers for domains registrations, to ask for confirmation of the email address for new registrations or changes of the datas of the domain owner.

The domain has been suspended because it's been 15 days from the date of registration or datas changes of the owner without having been verified the email address.

Have they perhaps changed the hosting platform?  If I ping peco-uk.com, I get the same response as @spamcan61, albeit with slightly different response times and TTL values.  Like @spamcan61 I seem to have no problem viewing the site, although I did at one point get a message similar to the one that @longchap posted, which went away when I refreshed the screen.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Same thing this morning for me. Maybe there's a server upgrade in progress and some people are getting a more up to date (or older?) IP address from the DNS? I'm seeing the same failure this morning.

Edited by AndrueC

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Same thing this morning for me. Maybe there's a server upgrade in progress and some people are picking up a more up to date (or older?) IP address. I'm seeing the same failure this morning.

Have you tried accessing directly via 23.227.38.65 rather than peco-uk.com? Maybe it's DNS related. 

EDIT: trying peco-uk.com from work rather than home I get the security warning others are getting.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Have you tried accessing directly via 23.227.38.65 rather than peco-uk.com? Maybe it's DNS related. 

Just did and it looks like the certificate 'pot lunch' is still ongoing :)

image.png.6a2ae3dea7f58992198fe0c59398d2a7.png

Edited by AndrueC

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Just tried the IP address directly from my phone and I get Error 1003 direct IP access not allowed, so there goes that idea.

I think that's because you used http:// instead of https://

It's crap like this that is the main reason I want to retire. After 30+ years developing software I can avoid the web no longer and it's an ongoing pain in the buttocks. Thankfully I don't get asked to actually write web pages (I play the 'old stuck in the mud desktop developer' card :) ).

Edited by AndrueC
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

EDIT: trying peco-uk.com from work rather than home I get the security warning others are getting.

23.227.38.65 does not seem to be peco-uk.com. When I mtr to it (mtr is a linux traceroute tool), it resolves this as myshopify.com. PInging myshopify.com resolves 23.227.38.32. It is quite normal to have a host with 2 or more IP addresses.

mtr to peco-uk.com ends up at host-81-88-63-46.dedicatedserver, whatever that is.

I wonder if Peco are migrating their server & are just waiting for DNS to be updated?

• Agree 1

They probably just need to renew their certificate. Its one of those things that happens from time  to time, no big deal. They had some IT issues last year so forgetting to renew their certificate may have arisen from the difficulties of last year.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Maybe, like a Phoenix, it will arise from the ashes …….. as a user-friendly website, rather than a baffling ordeal.

In a feedback to them, before Covid, but after their last website upgrade,

I told them that I thought that it looked, and worked, like an abandoned

primary school project, totally un-intuitive.

They rang me, but couldn't see how frustrating it was to put in '7mm wagon

kits', but get pictures of N gauge wagons, 0-16,5 track, etc, instead!

So don't hold your breath, waiting for a better website!

• Agree 1