Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The Quirky Poll 2021

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Please find Results - The Quirky Poll 2021 on the attached PDF.

Many thanks to all who voted in this 'Little Bit of Seasonal Fun'!

Stephenson's Rocket was the 'top voted' item in 2019; that was announced and then made by Hornby.  In 2020, the two 'top voted' items were Titfield Thunderbolt and Bellerophon - both subsequently announced by Rapido and KR Models respectively.

Have you 'picked some winners' this year?

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

Results - The Quirky Poll 2021.pdf

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Interesting results. I'm not entirely sure whether a streamlined B17 is likely - it's possibly a bit too mainstream to be properly quirky, and a bit too esoteric to be mainstream, and hence will fall neatly between the stools. But it wouldn't surprise me at all to see an Ivor crop up sometime, and the Y10 is a fairly obvious addition to the QLL ("quirky little loco") ranks that are provably good sellers already.

• Thanks 1

So no Broad Gauge RTR in the near future....  :o

The Y10 looks cute (and quirky!) but if it were a choice between it and the B17, the B17 would win hands down. And I could (almost) see Hornby having a bash at the B17 by issuing it in the Railroad bracket and using the existing Railroad B17 chassis and an "adjusted" almost life expired Railroad A4 tool for the body....

Sadly, Ivor was after my time, and I was never captivated by the whimsicality  of its world.

Anyhow, thanks for providing a Quite Interesting Quirky Christmas Poll!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The problem with the streamlined B17 is that it's a main line loco that only ran on one route. From a modeller's perspective, if you don't model that setting, you've got no reason to have one. And it's probably not sufficiently well-known to be all that attractive to collectors.

The Y10, on the other hand, despite also having a very restricted geography in real life, would be attractive to people who model a  freelance dockside setting. You could run one with a J70 and a Y1, both of which are already available, and create a very effective fictional East Anglian harbour railway in a small space.

As for Ivor, as a fictional loco it has no use at all on a layout based on real life. But I bet a lot of people - myself included - would buy one just for the fun of it. Especially if it had DCC sound :) 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

The problem with the streamlined B17 is that it's a main line loco that only ran on one route. From a modeller's perspective, if you don't model that setting, you've got no reason to have one. And it's probably not sufficiently well-known to be all that attractive to collectors.

The Y10, on the other hand, despite also having a very restricted geography in real life, would be attractive to people who model a  freelance dockside setting. You could run one with a J70 and a Y1, both of which are already available, and create a very effective fictional East Anglian harbour railway in a small space.

As for Ivor, as a fictional loco it has no use at all on a layout based on real life. But I bet a lot of people - myself included - would buy one just for the fun of it. Especially if it had DCC sound :) 

Like the P2s, , W1, Duke Of Gloucester, A4s for most of their existence, likewise Duchesses and Princesses, etc. you mean? 

How many modellers have D16s, J15s, normal B17s, B1s, etc. It'll fit right in with those.

I'm afraid people really need to forget the "they only worked in place X in year Y, so nobody will buy them" attitude. Correct in principle but the vast majority of modellers don't model that way. They buy what they like. 

How many fictitiously named and equally made up LNER green W1s have Hornby just sold for example? Sold out on pre order.

Jason

• Agree 3

I agree with Jason and think the majority of people who purchase locomotives probably do so because they like them - I do.

Therefore a double ended Sentinel may be just as useful on a layout as a Bulleid Shunter - just depends which one the prospective purchaser likes the look of.

And this will depend upon its general appearance, colour, number of wheels etc.  Few would research in any detail whether the locomotive actually existed or where it worked if it did. 

As an extreme example consider Hornby's Steampunk range - Non ever existed on real railways but people buy them to run around on their layouts. 

We're a weird mob and everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Personally I'd take the Sentinel before any other locos on the list - by a very large margin, especially if it was O gauge!!.

Best wishes to all

Regards,

Trevor

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 07/01/2022 at 21:55, Steamport Southport said:

Like the P2s, , W1, Duke Of Gloucester, A4s for most of their existence, likewise Duchesses and Princesses, etc. you mean? 

How many modellers have D16s, J15s, normal B17s, B1s, etc. It'll fit right in with those.

I'm afraid people really need to forget the "they only worked in place X in year Y, so nobody will buy them" attitude. Correct in principle but the vast majority of modellers don't model that way. They buy what they like. 

How many fictitiously named and equally made up LNER green W1s have Hornby just sold for example? Sold out on pre order.

Jason

Certainly true of the amount of USA Dock tanks, Adams Radials, or Well tanks that show up on shed just by chance.... and all at the same time... 

• Like 2

On 10/01/2022 at 10:26, phil gollin said:

Well, the obvious one to actually manufacture is the first runner-up;  Bulleid Shunter No.11001.

Only one vote behind the sentinel, and one that could actually be used on layouts.

Still. I hope that the poll inspires some manufacturers.

The obvious one to model is Aerolite, but that was not in the poll. It was suggested and that seemed to be well received. Of all those mentioned either it, or Locomotion No. 1 should be the next niche ones done... with the streamlined B17 seen as a novelty idea that has some traction...  

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

The obvious one to model is Aerolite, but that was not in the poll. It was suggested and that seemed to be well received.

I can confirm that Aerolite is on the 2022 agenda.

Brian (on behalf of The Quirky Poll Team)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Having said that, of course, the WLR's one and only steam locomotive actually owned by the railway was an entirely off the shelf Hudswell-Clarke. So it's not particularly quirky at all in that respect; it would just be one livery on a model that, like Hornby's Pecketts and Hatton's Andrew Barclay, could be released in many different liveries. In fact, going by the photos, I'm pretty sure it's the Hudswell-Clarke that DJM was planning to do until that all went pear-shaped. Maybe it just needs a different manufacturer to pick this one up as a project.

• Like 1

I could see Hornby doing the B17 - they've hoovered up some pretty obscure LNER express locos.

The Y10 I see as more of a Rapido or Accurascale thing. Since Rapido have already laid claim to the J70 and the W&U coach, it's an obvious one for them.

However, I'm particularly looking forward to Ivor the Engine and the green 0-4-0 in M&LRTCoLtd livery inspired by Ivor the Engine.

• Thanks 1