Bachmann OO Spring 2022 Announcements inc. OO9

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Ive always found Scotrail looked after their equipment pretty well.

If you look around us, RES took the Scottish 47’s… the remaining 37/4s are former IS and ED machines, not CF’s.
Northerns 158/170s from Scotland are in generally better nick… the 156’s have lasted very well, even the 318’s.

Even operationally 26/27 seem more prevalent than 25’s.

Legacy is around us, many preserved / wcrc and lsl’s 47’s are Scottish pedigree.. condition is a part of it… SRPS is a good example.

Admittedly they dont seem to have done well with 17’s and 21/29’s..

Inverness had an excellant reputation, and rise to the challenge, here in early 1990 this 156 isnt being repaired… its being built… it arrived partially complete and smaller elements of assembly were done at IS to release capacity in Birmingham such was the urgency to get them ready for service in the highlands..

D92813AC-E405-4C01-AC05-D737C58B7D40.jpeg.d0edf4204c0c9c28bd2969e64a7554fa.jpeg

2D170B90-7E58-473C-BD41-9CD7766B958A.jpeg.b992ddcc0861a7006e9ad0e7211b043c.jpeg

Some of them were rushed out, didnt even get their set numbers, though they were supposed to become 3 car sets, this was whilst the Ness bridge had been washed away.. but sprinterisation of the highlands still happened ontime..

A4BCE184-CEF6-4DCB-90C5-158B9DADC5B1.jpeg.de43cf65d47f38d2b1050f52d18c491f.jpeg

At the end of the day breaking down in Wick is a problem that takes a long time to solve, if the rescue is coming from Inverness!

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

It can only be because Scotrail must have refurbed more recently. We have the same loutish behaviour here as everywhere - getting a train back from Model Rail Scotland a few yrs back on a Sat eve - at every stop the police were onto the train to remove drunk and disorderly football fans who were fighting and smashing things up. I know I’m getting to be an old fuddy duddy but seriously?

Yes, ScotRail looked after their stuff better I think. Definitely wasn't suggesting that behaviour of passengers was better.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I kind of like the 159’s, they remind me of the days of class 50’s ( and anything else that could be substituted).

However they are getting on a bit, admittedly they are in much better condition than Northerns seat ripped, beer stained, ragged 158’s.

Today I went watching 6 more class 456 vehicles roll off SWR for the last time, I think they will all be gone by next week… SWR has lost a large amount of 707’s, all its 456s and several 455’s and 458’s... more than 100 vehicles gone this year…

But sadly ive yet to see any impact on passenger loadings… the 159s ive seen today, outside rush hour did not reach double figures per carriage.. even Friday night 8pm evening socials.... Chessington South.. just 5 people in an 8 carriage train… SWR is bleeding so swapping 159’s for voyagers may still be too much capacity… in one sense i’m wondering if the route should goto GWR and let them route from Paddington via Basingstoke to Exeter using 800’s ?

its even worse on Southern… services cut hugely, and Balham has become a bigger london terminus for Southern than Victoria..all 4 platforms now in use, 2 of them as turn backs… basically the xmas engineering timetable never ended.. yet no ones complaining, as the trains are empty… its eerie at times on the SR platforms at Clapham.

If it stays like this I reckon they could close Victoria completely and move everything between the others.

Problem is, the AWC Voyager fleet would be insufficient to run the pre-Covid Waterloo-Salisbury-Yeovil-Exeter diagrams even if none of them needed to be formed of more than one unit. 

Certain 3-car departures from Exeter are quite full, even since we regained the basic hourly pattern, though not the afternoon Honiton and Axminster terminators which I doubt will ever return. Most will, however, have disembarked before it reaches Yeovil, and the 6-car that inevitably forms the next service often carries rather fewer passengers. Presumably, those are expected to load more fully further up the line. 

Are SWR still strengthening some of the peak up trains  to 10-car at Salisbury? I doubt that'll be needed again in the foreseeable future. 

Incidentally, the only time I travelled behind a 50 and on a 159 on the same day was when the former had a set of points fail in front of it in Salisbury and we all had to cross to Platform 6 and board 159004. That was the first one delivered and was only officially being used for crew training at the time. By the time the 159s were in squadron service, the only 50s to be seen were on railtours and the line had been worked using an increasingly desperate assortment of 47s for two or three years.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 4 weeks later...

As the RRP increase is mentioned in the Bachmann announcement video, this seems like the most appropriate thread to say that the Bachmann website has updated the RRPs listed for the models.

A quick look suggests that the only OO gauge models currently without a RRP are the class 25 diesel locos and Tornado.

Edited by Paul.Uni

As far as I know DBSO in Swallow were only used on East Anglia services between Liverpool St and I guess Norwich? Locos were 86s. Am pretty sure the DBSOs went straight there from Scotrail use (via works for gangway removal etc) so would have been circa 1990 and they stayed there for a while inheriting Anglia livery in time (not sure when repaints occurred - I guess late 90s following privatisation).  Hope that helps - am sure others can provide more accuracy - my interests are Scotrail so I mourn the loss which was the beginning of the end of loco hauled services in Scotland.

M

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 12/03/2022 at 04:35, wappinghigh said:

What loco would have run with the Intercity Swallow DBSO? And on what lines? Just an 86? Would an 87 of worked with it? or anything else? Also when/ what period? Thanks! 

I think it was always Class 86s in Push-Pull mode, I presume being TDM fitted they should have been compatible with 87s or 90s but I dont think they'll ever have worked on the Anglian main line and by the time the 90s were there the DBSOs would have been replaced by Mk3 DVTs.

There might have been a bit more variety beyond the wires when they would have been treated as hauled stock so I'm thinking of the regular summer service extensions from Norwich to Great Yarmouth or possibly engineering diversions or if any rakes were hired for charters at the weekends.

• 1 month later...
On 12/03/2022 at 04:35, wappinghigh said:

What loco would have run with the Intercity Swallow DBSO? And on what lines? Just an 86? Would an 87 of worked with it? or anything else? Also when/ what period? Thanks! 

Bachmann's Class 90 can legitimately be ran with the DBSO Model .

Intercity Mainline, were definitely used during the early 90's, RES, Speedlink, RFD Euro, even the Sybic liveried 90036, Freightliner Grey, Ex Virgin, GNER, EWS with the Anglia DBSO.

few links from Flickr

RES 90019. 

90019 Norwich | A regular performer on the Great Eastern Mai… | Flickr

RFD 90021

90021 | Class 90 no 90021 wearing RFD livery at Stratford | Keith Valla | Flickr

90036 at Liverpool Street | Justin Perkins | Flickr

Freightliner Grey 9004, 90050

FL 90041, London Liverpool Street | Freightliner Class 90, 9… | Flickr

FL 90050, Stratford | Freightliner Class 90, 90050, approach… | Flickr

GNER 90024

90024 IPS 1630 NRW-LST 10-4-04 | On 10 April 2004, 90024 sto… | Flickr

90014 EX Virgin

90014 Stratford | Class 90 No. 90014 stands at Stratford wor… | Flickr

EWS 90031

BREL/Crewe 'Class 90' 25KVAC OHL Bo-Bo 90031 'The Railway … | Flickr

Plus the excellent Heljan Class 86  (when they do it in the appropriate Colours)!

Cheers Trailrage

• 1 month later...

You will be pleased to read that the GWR small prairie no 5526 has now arrived and the picture shows it on my model of Corfe Viaduct. The prototype arrived by road on the Swanage Railway on 16 February. It ran on the Swanage Railway in Spring usually with a rake of BR green Mk1 coaches which look like an anachronism to me.

It looks like a well made locomotive but it is more expensive than the Accurascale Deltic.

P1040014.JPG