Carlisle, Garsdale and Hest Bank in EM gauge

Michael Edge

• RMweb Premium

However, as I hinted at earlier, there's never as much room as you want - 1m wider on the building and we would have had the whole of Bog Junction and the goods lines in the right place - a bit more and we could have included Canal shed.......

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

However, as I hinted at earlier, there's never as much room as you want - 1m wider on the building and we would have had the whole of Bog Junction and the goods lines in the right place - a bit more and we could have included Canal shed.......

It ever was thus.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
On 25/05/2023 at 13:24, Michael Edge said:

All of it is in a purpose built building measuring 30m x 6m

That's a good size layout building!!!

How many people do you need to run that monster? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There’s rarely more than two of us (and often only one) to run it but there would plenty of scope for a dozen or so drivers plus signalmen. Ideally I’d like to get a team of experienced layout operation there to find out what could be done but I’m not sure we ever will.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

There’s rarely more than two of us (and often only one) to run it but there would plenty of scope for a dozen or so drivers plus signalmen. Ideally I’d like to get a team of experienced layout operation there to find out what could be done but I’m not sure we ever will.

One day...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

One day.. we need a coach trip organising.. been a while since we had a Leeds MRS on tour away day or two!

If you let me know of your next visit dates I will try to get there...

Baz

• Like 4

On 26/05/2023 at 23:26, Michael Edge said:

Ideally I’d like to get a team of experienced layout operation there to find out what could be done but I’m not sure we ever will.

Standing by ...

(Thanks for starting a layout thread on this epic creation, Mike)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Hi Mike, how are you for photos of Hest Bank. I gathered a few, it was my initial (unfinished) EM layout. I was gathering 1960s info. I have copies of some official BR photos taken of the ‘new’ signal box which I got thru the OPC venture and various others that I acquired. The track and signalled changed quite a few times in a short space of time.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Before going back to the beginning this photo shows about half of the large tempting space we are now putting Hest Bank in (taken at a very early stage in 2012)

P7241637copy.JPG.601426664bbc9d23fe639ccf4b371efa.JPG

When I first found out about the project I naturally asked for a track plan...

Carlise_outline_3copy.jpg.1fe7d084cd13863ceb4f4920fb657d21.jpg

but was somewhat taken aback when I was presented with this. I did subsequently get the Templot drawing but I never saw a plan of the baseboards.

We first arrived there in the middle of our caravan holiday touring in France and spent about three days there, as I said there were only bare baseboards at this point and the first impression was - this is fxxxing big! and why is it 5ft off the floor. Since then every visitor has said much the same (in English or French) and I've got used to explaining that the owner likes to get an eye level view of the trains.

I can only find one photo from about the time of that first visit.

01012010402copy.jpg.7e4d1a58876c7d9698baac6ac2946893.jpg

Apologies for the very poor photo but this is one of the first sections of track to be laid at the entry to the LNW Crown Street goods yard. Starting here revealed one problem immediately - we plotted the position of the first turnout here from the Templot drawing relative to the baseboards and it came somewhere to the right in mid-air. Some creative adjustment was obviously going to be needed, most of the pointwork had already been made in fairly large chunks and all these had to be lined up and connected (plain track is C&L), Tortoise point motors (about 450 of them so far) were used, something else I had no direct experience of.

DSCF1354copy.JPG.5e083620f6405ace7fd4b47794714715.JPG

This is a somewhat later photo (Geoff Taylor's cardboard mock up for St Nicholas bridge can be seen in place) to show how Alastair had built the baseboards. It was essential that they were strong enough to be climbed on during construction, they are more than 8ft wide in places, and to this end most of it is built on an L girder plywood subframe, all standing on steel tube legs - 1in square tubes, each fastened in with two 10mm bolts. Much of this subframe has since been cut away, including the part in the foreground here, as it served no purpose in non-scenic sections. This photo also shows the tiled floor, flat, smooth and easily swept clean but it doesn't take prisoners.

Finally now a few photos showing what layout build is like, working on stepladders or climbing on top. Work started in earnest in 2011 with us making three trips a year.P6270029copy.JPG.5b959947c504337d59b659fd6ad77e97.JPG

P6270028copy.JPG.db54e2cecbe357926b279bb52dedf272.JPG

P7010110copy.JPG.27310ed94c9348d8205ec3fda6a855c2.JPG

It's warm there in the summer (although the inside temperature doesn't usually get above 26) and in winter there are electric heaters along the walls. The original lighting however was as bad as it looks, a handful of (dimmable!) bulbs scattered along the ceiling, useful daylight only at one end and one floodlight tower which can be seen in one of the above photos. There are big glass doors along one side but they can never be opened since the layout was built in front of them - and because we can't open them we can't open the shutters on the outside....

We have now got some much better lighting, initially fluorescents, now mostly LEDs but there's still not enough and nearly all the work was done before they went in.

P6280030copy.JPG.3265b2f331340f89282cd43ff3086091.JPG

Looks even worse in this one (taken at 9.04 in the morning), the floodlight tower can be seen - when Geoff Taylor and I were both working there we used to fight for the use of this at times.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The Garsdale section is actually finished and we have hundreds of photos but thanks for the offer. Did he name the cottage or was it already named after the fairly local area?

It's called Craven Cottage, he's a Fulham fan. :) He's also the local window cleaner!

• Like 1