Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Exhibition behaviour (again!)

PGN

My own experience with ASD is that persons so diagnosed tend to hang back from social interaction rather than dive in. (I recently completed a school placement with approx 25% of students being classed as having Special Educational Needs, and also work in psychiatric nursing - though general trained).

My own feeling on the barging ones is that, having maintained interests which are traditionally solitary, they are either naturally socially unskilled or have become so. I see the same thing in Supermarket queues, and even once had to glare at some woman who thought she could reach in and remove my 5 year old daughter from a toilet (into which she had just gone and was waiting for me to stand guard) not having noticed her large, loving and (normally placid but) well on the way to being enraged father. For the record, said daughter was holding her own anyway. It's just that she shoudn't have to.

Some people with ASD may hang back and be less likely to barge around, others can be very loud and forthcoming. They may also be less likely to realise that blocking other people's views to take a picture is acceptable and make not also appreciate the concept of turn taking.

All I'm saying is not everyone who appears rude is rude.

• RMweb Gold

Standing up at a concert in a seated arena is one that gets up my nose. I don't go to any now because of this. Why stand when you can sit and have paid for a seat.

I'm sorry to disagree with this one but I come to it from the other side. Half the night the band will be desperately trying to get the audience on their feet. A 'dead' audience that want to sit give nothing back to the band; get up, enjoy the show, thats what the band are there for.

And I say this as someone who knows what they are talking about, I work in the industry, in a town that has a reputation for hard audiences because they never get off their seats. Bands come off stage here wondering what they have done wrong and all it is is a dead audience. Live music is a two way thing, if you go to a show with the attitude of "I've paid my money, now entertain me" then you might as well be at home watching the telly, Give the band something back and you'll get a much better show yourself.

Andi, rock and roll lighting engineer.

I'm sorry but I have to take issue with some posts here!

I may be mistaken but I cannot believe that all of the people one meets at exhibitions who are rude, suffer from any kind of mental affliction. There can't be as there are just too many of them and as has been pointed out, they are pretty much solidly in the 40-65 age group.

I believe they are just plain rude, ignorant and selfish and if they bump into me, they are going to get a good bumping back and no mistake.

That's my opinion anyway,

Harold.

When you do a lot of shows, from both sides of the barrier, you come to recognise the regulars, and whilst yes Woodenhead has a point in that there may be an underlying medical problem with some, in the vast majority of cases they are just inconsiderate oafs brought up in the me, me, me generation. You see the same faces from behind the layout and know whats coming next. lately we have adopted a new tactic when out with the layout - when not operating one or two of us hang out at the front to answer questions so the operators can get on with the job in hand, entertaining the crowd.

When doing this, Ive had one or two of the aforementioned oafs butt into conversations, crying shame is the person whos asked the question usually disappears as they cant get a word in edgeways, and you are left with Mr gobsh*te. Who promptly calms down and underneath it all turns out to be quite normal - is it a pack mentality thing ? Im not a psychologist so I cant explain it.

To be honest i quite like talking to some of the more obvious health problem people - they display a great deal of interest, often more than the average punter quite often, and you feel that by answering their queries you are somehow helping them.

When doing this, Ive had one or two of the aforementioned oafs butt into conversations, crying shame is the person whos asked the question usually disappears as they cant get a word in edgeways, and you are left with Mr gobsh*te.

They annoy me!

At Scaleforum I was speaking to Flymo, who was manning the information stand at the front of the show. In a few minutes the number of people who just interrupted was unbelievable! Including one guy who, it seems, just wanted to start a conversation explaiing why P4 doesn't work! :lol:

They annoy me!

At Scaleforum I was speaking to Flymo, who was manning the information stand at the front of the show. In a few minutes the number of people who just interrupted was unbelievable! Including one guy who, it seems, just wanted to start a conversation explaiing why P4 doesn't work! :lol:

It is very difficult to comment on this, as the situation is not explained. But there is another viewpoint. In this case it does sound as if you were having a 'chat' with someone you know. We all do this all the time where exhibitors are demonstrating or representing a Society. BUT they are NOT there to chat to their mates; they are to explain or - as in this case - to 'sell' the concept of EM. So, when 'oafs' overhear the usual chat about the cat, the wife, what you are modelling now, how you saw a bent 70012 at Newport... they are likely to butt in, if they think their time is being wasted whilst your discussion goes on endlessly. Flymo should have been keeping a good eye out for oafs who only wanted a brief piece of information - quite often just to ask "can I have a leaflet please" or "how much does it cost to join.."

Apologies, but I do think that we have to remember we are doing a job when we are exhibiting and need to be professional about it.

Paul Bartlett

...A 'dead' audience that want to sit give nothing back to the band; get up, enjoy the show, thats what the band are there for.

...Give the band something back and you'll get a much better show yourself.

Andi, rock and roll lighting engineer.

And the opposite extreme, of course, is epitomised by a news interview after the Beatles announced their break-up: one member claimed that the final straw was a gig in which the (predominantly female) front row screamed non stop, so that the band themselves had no idea how they were playing; nor could the rest of the audience.

Not all the people mentioned in this thread will be sufferers nor will being autistic automatically make someone appear rude but it should be remembered when posting here that some of the types of people you are referring to may not actually be aware that what to them is perfectly OK is not OK for others.

Excuses excuses - Someone near to them needs to make them aware that what might seem to them to be OK is not OK for others. We are talking primarily about grown-up adults here who are expecting to be accepted into the crowd. Bad behaviour in a child is part expected as they are growing up and learning what is acceptable. Either this really is a disability that other adults should make allowance for but accepted as a disability or it is just an excuse for bad behaviour.

I find that coming into a show smelling of horse can have its advantages.....

There have been a few shows I've been to (thinking of the infamous scrum around the Bachmann 'returns' stall at Ally Pally a few years back), when frankly coming into the show on a horse might have it's advantages...

The worst thing I ever heard of was an individual who sneezed in my friends face, then just carried on as if nothing had happened. <_<

I think the best way to sum a large part of this thread up is to say there is a minority who cannot help the way they behave, and the rest who can but don't because they are $^&*holes.

:lol:

There have been a few shows I've been to (thinking of the infamous scrum around the Bachmann 'returns' stall at Ally Pally a few years back), when frankly coming into the show on a horse might have it's advantages...

It happened at Warley 2000 as well. Not just the Bachmann stand, but also the Hornby display - which was in some sort of mezzanine Portakabin thing within the hall that year. I have this everlasting memory of loads of people hanging off the sides and the stairs, and it reminded me of an Indian commuter train....

HI All

Having seen most things and experienced a fare few of the incidents reported here, the thing that gets me the most is the parents who wont control there little bundles of snot "sorry Joy" when you ask them to keep there hands of the layout.

Kids will be kids at the end of the day.

I take the point about the soap and water department, and is still a problem at some shows, but being into N Gauge we don't attract as many as say you O gauge modellers, who seem to attract more of them.

This was pointed out to me by an o gauge modeller!!!!

We have one north of Hadrian's wall we call the Aylesbury duck, this I'm told is because he came from that town and when you see him coming you duck :D

To get rid of him i hate to say it, but you have to be quite forceful to get him to see the conversation's over.

Regards Arran

It is very difficult to comment on this, as the situation is not explained. But there is another viewpoint. In this case it does sound as if you were having a 'chat' with someone you know.

It was actually the first time we'd met - previously conversed by e-mail so I went and introduced myself.

I realise he was there with the society, which is why I was there just a few minutes, but this still doesn't excuse rudeness on the part of others! If someone is speaking to a someone manning a society stand, I wouldn't just presume to interrupt their conversation.

At the other extreme is when a society stand is used as a meeting point by members of that society - at big shows the stand becomes surrounded by its own members and then prospective members can't even look! At York one year I had to 'encourage' a group to move to one side to let the public see the stand! :lol:

'Afflicted' A condition of pain, suffering, or distress.

There's a kid in my daughters class who occaisionally has very severe periods of autism, when that occurs they are very very clearly in distress, and some may say, suffering.

Having worked with children and young adults who have specific learning difficulties, autism and aspergers, I'm not comfortable with the use of the word suffering - it seems to home in on whatever condition or disability they have rather than looking at the individual.

But that's just my view on these things.

There are some mental illness' that will cause suffering or distress, so those could be classed as 'afflicted'.

All he said was some people are rude, end of.

At that point of the thread I don't think it was discussing mental illness - reference had been made to the austistic spectrum. So maybe this is true, but autism and other disabilities aren't illnesses.

So now we all know who is to blame ;)

Compared to the smell naturally emitted by some of the individuals who attend these shows, even the worse fart pales into insignificance. To my mind, not maintaining a decent level of personal hygiene is antisocial behaviour in itself. There's nothing worst than 'catching a whiff' when one of these unwashed individuals is in close proximity.

So now we all know who is to blame ;)

Could also find yerself back outside*, for discharging an offensive weapon :bomb_mini: :pardon_mini:

P.S. Edit * Possibly,....On a trrrummped-up charge.

Oi'll get me coat.

It's ot just model railway exhibitions that attract the great rude and unwashed. I get them all the time when doing book signings or at comic conventions. They're the people who butt into conversations or don't take the hint to s*d off and let other people come and talk we refer to as 'booth barnacles'.

Compared to the smell naturally emitted by some of the individuals who attend these shows, even the worse fart pales into insignificance. To my mind, not maintaining a decent level of personal hygiene is antisocial behaviour in itself. There's nothing worst than 'catching a whiff' when one of these unwashed individuals is in close proximity.

Does anyone have nightmares about ExpoEM 2000, when it was hosted by the Watford Leisure Centre in Garston? Sweltering conditions; even opening the side access doors didn't work, and the catering operation went into a kind of meltdown.

To quote Father Jessup (the world's most sarcastic priest) from an episode of Father Ted: "Dear God! The smell!"

I take the point about the soap and water department, and is still a problem at some shows, but being into N Gauge we don't attract as many as say you O gauge modellers, who seem to attract more of them.

This was pointed out to me by an o gauge modeller!!!!

How does that work then...

N = Not smelly at all

HO = Hardly Odourous

OO = Often Oderous

O = Oh My goodness...

Archived