Tucking Mill

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

With TM going to the SWAG RMWeb day this coming Sunday I thought it worth showing the progress on the ex-SECR O.

The loco and tender chassis went together pretty well although the tender frames are several mm too long for some reason although the wheelbase is correct so I just cut them down. They are shown, along with the wheels, ready for painting.

397ECE4B-A030-48EC-BA8E-0E6420897D2A.jpeg.51879985dc4ea1ac30f1e604e9463808.jpeg

Once painted I temporarily popped the wheels in using bits of plastic tube so I could check clearances. For the drive I’m going to use one of the new Association 30:1 gear blocks. I’ve not used one yet but Tony Gee brought a Dean goods he’s fitted one in to Missenden and it ran very nicely.

The body has only got as far as the basic footplate, cab and smoke box front - the boiler is just a bit of tube cut to length and is still loose. Overall it all fitted very well, the Stirling cab proved to be nothing like as tricky as I had feared. I marked the centreline on both the cab front and roof/side strip, clamped the former to my bench, lined up the scribed marks and tacked it in place, using a bit of wood to form the curve. 

Jerry

9292AA27-7998-4A8C-AAC1-0B9AAC0CB720.jpeg.fcb8df4e27d483ce6958ffaaf766a60b.jpeg

D6C11B28-F6FB-40C3-BAD6-3E9FDE291C81.jpeg.0e784426793211b06257c7c0129c5d2f.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Looks good Jerry. How are you going to secure the gearbox given the holey chassis?

Simon (trying to get Adam West era Batman out of my head)

Thanks Simon,

The current thinking, (and as usual Im making it up as I go along!), is that the gearbox will be trapped rather than fixed which will hopefully keep it centred around the drive axle with the minimum of friction. The idea is to add insulating cheeks to the inside of the chassis frames from either plasticard or double sided pcb to represent the firebox sides and prevent the gearbox from moving laterally. A strip across the bottom where the ashpan would be will stop it rotating. The fact that the gearbox is connected to the motor by a UJ will mean that a couple of thou of movement in either direction is of no consequence as the all important relationship between the worm and final drive is fixed. We shall see!!

Jerry

A8ED6AA0-09B2-4E3E-BC00-6379B4632F82.jpeg.60e1a477afd28182ccef71a7815e63a3.jpeg

8BC8F1EC-F5BF-4C95-82C5-82764D544F29.jpeg.555a835a443fafa58f66763e943d213c.jpeg

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The other unfinished item( there are plenty to choose from!) that I will be taking to Taunton on Sunday is my little Ford railcar which hasn’t seen progress for at least a couple of years - mainly because it’s ridiculously  small and has so far had two failed attempts at making it go without filling the entire body with mechanism. There will be a third attempt but not for some while.

Jerry

23531A34-AC8B-47B1-854A-D017D6935AD5.jpeg.d5687061e1e24d64287a15b80b893b14.jpeg

E7AA70F0-E6B9-44E6-AD35-FFBB6B0BB238.jpeg.094dd9ef09d18865fd846bb2edbbbc93.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, D869 said:

You've got the hang of it now so the next loco will be easier.

Nice job BTW.

Thanks.

99% of the difficulty was in taking over something that had been started by somebody else. The tender was built and the loco mechanism started. Sadly, there were all sorts of problems with things not being as straight and parallel as they should be. If (and it is a big if!) there is another one, it will be done starting afresh. I didn't have a problem working with the size of the bits, just that what was done already wasn't quite right. Even the tender outside frames needed replacing as they were pantograph milled (very nicely) from quite thick material and set so close to the wheels that they wouldn't go round freely on straight track and any sign of a curve, even a large radius, caused it to come off the rails.

Most of my modelling is in 4mm (EM Gauge) but I also dabble in 7mm. Trying to add 2mm on a regular basis is probably spreading myself a bit too far. So there won't be a 2mm project from me but I don't mind helping Laurie Adams out a bit on Yeovil. 

We do have a lovely photo of a Dean Goods on a Yeovil Pen Mill to Taunton passenger train approaching Yeovil Town and it looks like a 3 carriage set with at least the leading carriage being a clerestory. The other carriages are not visible enough to see what they are. So my next foray into 2mm might involve a visit to the Worsley Works range to obtain some etches for some carriages. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Thanks.

99% of the difficulty was in taking over something that had been started by somebody else. The tender was built and the loco mechanism started. Sadly, there were all sorts of problems with things not being as straight and parallel as they should be. If (and it is a big if!) there is another one, it will be done starting afresh. I didn't have a problem working with the size of the bits, just that what was done already wasn't quite right. Even the tender outside frames needed replacing as they were pantograph milled (very nicely) from quite thick material and set so close to the wheels that they wouldn't go round freely on straight track and any sign of a curve, even a large radius, caused it to come off the rails.

Most of my modelling is in 4mm (EM Gauge) but I also dabble in 7mm. Trying to add 2mm on a regular basis is probably spreading myself a bit too far. So there won't be a 2mm project from me but I don't mind helping Laurie Adams out a bit on Yeovil. 

We do have a lovely photo of a Dean Goods on a Yeovil Pen Mill to Taunton passenger train approaching Yeovil Town and it looks like a 3 carriage set with at least the leading carriage being a clerestory. The other carriages are not visible enough to see what they are. So my next foray into 2mm might involve a visit to the Worsley Works range to obtain some etches for some carriages. 

Its a slippery slope Tony, I hope you keep sliding!

Jerry

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

This film of the real thing (well, a replica) popped up recently.

Andy

Thanks for posting Andy. Unfortunately the film highlights my problem - its basically a greenhouse on wheels with knowhere to hide a mechanism! That said, if I ever get it to work getting a sound file shouldnt be a problem!

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, queensquare said:

Thanks for posting Andy. Unfortunately the film highlights my problem - its basically a greenhouse on wheels with knowhere to hide a mechanism! That said, if I ever get it to work getting a sound file shouldnt be a problem!

On the West Sussex, they sometimes ran with a lightweight 4-plank open wagon between them. Mounting a Tramfabriek motor low in such a wagon, covered by a "tarpaulin", with an ersatz tender drive to each railbus might just provide a solution. 

Scroll down to third photo

Edited by bécasse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A line up of the TM stud waiting to be cleaned and serviced in readiness for the layouts first outing in over two years, SWAG RMWeb day in Taunton tomorow,

Jerry

491388456_Swindonlineup2019.jpg.eb5eabba07cea89541087e6de264cfbd.jpg

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

.......... and on its wheels.

I was asked on today's 2mm Zoom meeting about livery. It will be apple green, like Holly the Hudswell Clarke in the TM picture above with NSLR on the tender and possibly simple red lining. I've not decided yet if it will be named although I do have some more nameplates in stock which Bob Jones kindly did for me - more family members.

Jerry

IMG_3282.JPG.6d869aef4276468f8a7a8a6b73763060.JPG

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Jerry thank you for entrusting me to run some of Sunday services on Tucking Mill. 

A leaked letter from the NSLR board regarding the Sunday service.........

Dear Sir

While undertaking my Sunday afternoon stroll in the valley, I observed no less than 3 separate trains running on NSLR. All hauled by each of the company's locomotives and the S&D tank loco on hire.  The Somerset and Dorset will be requesting additional steaming fees for their Locos. I must remind you these large mainline locos are only to be steamed on the days requiring the transfer of goods via the steep Midford Junction line to the exchange siding with the Somerset and Dorset.  They both have greater coal and water consumption than the Native fleet. I need not remind you that any unnecessary steaming of locos is a frivolous waste of coal, water, paid employees to crew them, and not to mention the wear and tear to both locos and track!

An update on the light weight Rail buses is requested. The Colonel was quite insistent that they were ready to roll when the board acquired them for the line. Although he omitted they were gravity powered and only good for a one way down line trip! Have you and the men had a chance to install the replacement belted transmission? The board would like to observe the frugal fuel consumption as claimed by the Imperial Rubber Band Company who supplied the replacement transmission.

The Board do appreciate the work you and the men put in to the running of the NSLR.  Apart from the lapse of judgement mention above, the board have been impressed by the steps taken to reduced derailments, and increase punctuality.

Mr Smith has notified us that he requires an additional 2 trains in the week to enable a large order to be dispatched by the end of the month. I have already notified the Somerset and Dorset, the wagons should be in the Midford exchange sidings by Monday noon.

Yours  

Sir Arthur Burningfoot-Mathews

Chairman of the Board North Somerset Light Railway

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, tapdieuk said:

Jerry thank you for entrusting me to run some of Sunday services on Tucking Mill. 

A leaked letter from the NSLR board regarding the Sunday service.........

Dear Sir

While undertaking my Sunday afternoon stroll in the valley, I observed no less than 3 separate trains running on NSLR. All hauled by each of the company's locomotives and the S&D tank loco on hire.  The Somerset and Dorset will be requesting additional steaming fees for their Locos. I must remind you these large mainline locos are only to be steamed on the days requiring the transfer of goods via the steep Midford Junction line to the exchange siding with the Somerset and Dorset.  They both have greater coal and water consumption than the Native fleet. I need not remind you that any unnecessary steaming of locos is a frivolous waste of coal, water, paid employees to crew them, and not to mention the wear and tear to both locos and track!

An update on the light weight Rail buses is requested. The Colonel was quite insistent that they were ready to roll when the board acquired them for the line. Although he omitted they were gravity powered and only good for a one way down line trip! Have you and the men had a chance to install the replacement belted transmission? The board would like to observe the frugal fuel consumption as claimed by the Imperial Rubber Band Company who supplied the replacement transmission.

The Board do appreciate the work you and the men put in to the running of the NSLR.  Apart from the lapse of judgement mention above, the board have been impressed by the steps taken to reduced derailments, and increase punctuality.

Mr Smith has notified us that he requires an additional 2 trains in the week to enable a large order to be dispatched by the end of the month. I have already notified the Somerset and Dorset, the wagons should be in the Midford exchange sidings by Monday noon.

Yours  

Sir Arthur Burningfoot-Mathews

Chairman of the Board North Somerset Light Railway

Brilliant, many thanks.

Jerry

The large number of locos in steam on Sunday were the result of a visit by a new and enthusiastic engineer to the line. Whilst I would agree that the number was excessive under normal circumstances this can perhaps be excused as the companies stock needed a thorough test after a long hiatus due to the recent pandemic which severely restricted the companies activities. Im pleased to report that all the locos passed with flying colours, as did the new operator.

The opening up of a new shaft, increasing coal production further up the Cam Valley has foced the company to invest in a new (sic!) and powerful locomotive of the six coupled, tender variety. The new workings are expected to enter full production in time for the increase in demand next winter and the new locomotive will hopefully enter traffic in time for the next time the public's gaze will be focussed on the line in November.

As for the Ford railcars, the company works manager is still scratching his head over the best way to proceed but remains hopeful that a solution can be found,

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

SWAG members day was the first time the layout had been out for two and a half years but Im pleased to say everything worked well. Many thanks to Will who drove all the way to Taunton for the day and took to operating like a duck to water. A very enjoyable day,

Jerry

850616786_SWAG2022.jpg.e04c824ba9d4e00622ab050b2587f8b0.jpg

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Jerry,

Great to see Tucking Mill out and about again.  We now need a Tucking Mill through the years montage to show how the layout (and the belly 😉) has developed.

Best wishes

Simon 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 65179 said:

Jerry,

Great to see Tucking Mill out and about again.  We now need a Tucking Mill through the years montage to show how the layout (and the belly 😉) has developed.

Best wishes

Simon 

Thanks Simon, will this one do for starters - Camrail/Larkrail 2011. Im not in the picture but I recognise a couple of people who are!

Jerry

IMG00937-20110723-1443.jpg.dc744abee6b338351492618b71dca296.jpg

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

Thanks Simon, will this one do for starters - Camrail/Larkrail 2011. Im not in the picture but I recognise a couple of people who are!

Jerry

IMG00937-20110723-1443.jpg.dc744abee6b338351492618b71dca296.jpg

I can't believe how little grey hair there is on my head in that shot!

Simon

• Funny 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...