When the real thing looks like a model

On 06/08/2022 at 08:16, rodent279 said:

How did they do the scaffolding? And the backscene, with the mist gradually covering the landscape, looks so realistic you could almost think it was a photo of the real thing........

150xxx_Saltash_28052011

(Also posted in the class 150-159 thread)

That is one of the most clever view blockers I've ever seen. You really cannot see the cut-out where the track goes through the backscene because it's hidden behind the houses. Do we know whether forced perspective has been used, in which case it really only works from this viewpoint, or whether it works equally well from a viewpoint further to the right?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That old Triang class 31 isn't too bad from the top!

Interesting mix of old and new cars in the car park, shame the modeller hasn't weathered the left canopy though, he (she?) has done a good job on the other one.

31430_Eridge_13082022

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Glossy plastic roof, no exhaust stains. Straight out of the box R-T-R if ever there was!!

Maybe they've only just finished modifying the roof exhaust ports, and haven't got round to weathering it yet?

• Like 2

I love layouts where you can look along the tracks and get a real sense of perspective.

image.png

Hunstanton - Credit: Nigel Simon, Facebook 

EDIT: After I posted this the creator of this composite colourised image commented as follows:  'its not without flaw, it is a composition made from many images , parts of images.'.... 'it is a colourisation and sharpening flaw, unavoidable when one needs to have pixel perfect alignment and introduce colours that blend'... 'one has to choose a colour and its blending, one has to align parts of images that do not align with others by perspective, so need to be repositioned, resized, change of perspective and angle of view.... it means working to pixel accuracy else it will not combine... one could for example make it grey scale, and blur it... then sepia, it would look like a very old image then.. not an image taken yesterday.. I hope it lives on beyond me, since I made it for myself, but think its memory worth giving... so if I don't share it, it would just disappear with me.....'

Nigel has also posted his composite image before colouring:

300635620_10159170280016871_696659995042

Edited by Michael Crofts
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Michael Crofts said:

I love layouts where you can look along the tracks and get a real sense of perspective.

image.png

Hunstanton - Credit: Nigel Simon, Facebook 

The single coal wagon next to the turntable is rather a cliche and just laying all the houses straight onto a flat baseboard is very lazy. The 31 needs weathering.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Chris M said:

The single coal wagon next to the turntable is rather a cliche and just laying all the houses straight onto a flat baseboard is very lazy. The 31 needs weathering.

Can't say I'd agree with you completely : the use of a goods wagon for the coal rather than an Airtix dia.1/108 is rather less of a cliche - and they have staggered the heights of the left hand terrace ............ is that the same Triang 31 as in the previous post ?

• Like 2

The seven plank coal wagon, was  often at those buffers or near the turntable, the image is real, from an actual  photo of it there, remarkable really is the point lamp assembly beside it,  also there, not imagined or contrived..  its a type that turns horizontally,  hence  the disc was all red.. no white line marker...  when it turns the disc faces the wagon and the lamp faces the line.. it  is very early, probably a GER remnant..  for it still to be there, though maybe no longer in operation, is special to see, everything you see in the image is factual, as true as the images ( two core images and maybe four or five  more image parts.) used to make it. its not a layout, its real photographs of the view composed together. 

image.png

Edited by InconyBlue
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 22/08/2022 at 20:03, Chris M said:

just laying all the houses straight onto a flat baseboard is very lazy.

They've used the low relief terraced houses up against the plain backscene to great effect - although you can see the joins in the backscene.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The bus on the bridge is a bit hackneyed now.

At least they put a bus stop there to justify a stationary bus.

I think the fiddle yard might be a bit short, as the class 37 isn't fully hidden...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

At least they put a bus stop there to justify a stationary bus.

I think the fiddle yard might be a bit short, as the class 37 isn't fully hidden...

Not sure the backscene quite works, either - low horizon, looking over rooftops, right next to a tall low relief building..?? 🤔🙄

• Like 2
  • Agree 2