Modelling Inspirations 5 now out

Andy Y

Guest oldlugger

Yes but your bit of salt marsh is better than Pendon's bit of salt marsh. They haven't done any salt marsh? Well, there you are, they just couldn't face the challenge! :-)

David

PS And a distinct lack of third rail pick up EPBs. . .

Aww shucks!

Cheers

Simon Saltmarsh

• 2 weeks later...

As a few weeks have passed I'd like to solicit opinion on the page-turning software used versus the traditional pdf format if anyone has got comment to make?

Whilst we're at I'd like to gather any thoughts on what you think of the style/appearance/format/content of MI when it's printed in BRM? (I've got my hard hat on ready for Pempoul showing up in the next issue!)

As a few weeks have passed I'd like to solicit opinion on the page-turning software used versus the traditional pdf format if anyone has got comment to make?

As it currently stands I also prefer the pdf, but I wouldn't yet dismiss the page-turning viewer completely - I've seen a LOT worse, but it does need some refining as per my comments in the Newsletter thread.

Whilst we're at I'd like to gather any thoughts on what you think of the style/appearance/format/content of MI when it's printed in BRM? (I've got my hard hat on ready for Pempoul showing up in the next issue!)

I do like the style and so far the MI content has been very good. Unfortunately rather too good such that it shows up the rest of the mag in terms of both the reproduction quality and the base material - the MI photos seem to be sharper and to me more imaginative in composition than the majority of the main mag plus being generally larger, really show off the finest detail of the featured layouts. I also like the 'more photos less words' content - too many layout articles are very 'samey' recently (that applies to all the mags) so the MI style is a breath of fresh air.

TBH since MI first appeared in print, I have bought both issues with MI but none of those without MI. What I saw in the main part of the mag in those two was not sufficient to encourage me to but the non-MI issues...

So here's the big question: Would there be a market for an entire stand-alone mag in the MI style, without the more traditional format BRM accompaniment??

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Belatedly catching up with this. I prefer the pdf to the page-turning software version as I find it easier to use and read. I find the latter too skittish and it reacts too quickly to any mouse movements meaning the pages turn before I'm ready or they change when I'm trying to magnify a page. Also the magnification seems a bit all or nothing, with impaired ability to navigate around an enlarged image.

As an aside, at the University I work at we have similar issues and debates over how we provide online materials to students. It would seem a lot of students prefer pdfs to, for example, hmtl based web pages. What's not clear is how much of this is down to preference and how much is down to unfamiliarity with the format. One argument in favour of pdfs is the ability to have offline electronic copies of whatever.

Comparing MI3 and MI5 I'm not sure but I think the image quality might be better in M13. Not sure if that's just me or if the pdf of MI5 would compare better.

Can't comment on the print version as I've not bought it yet.

Good stuff in MI5, but what really disappointed me was the lack of any spy stories or espionage tips... :triniti: I'll get me coat... probably a gaberdine mac with a trilby. [Exit left whistling the James Bond theme]

Ralph

Lambton58

My version of the Adobe reader could only just manage the small size of the MI5 e-magazine, I could not zoom in to see the writing. Perhaps MI could be offered in several PDF formats to cover a range of PC and the latest tablet computers and their different capabilities.

I optimise the pdf (created in Acrobat Pro) for web publication as a compromise between size and quality. If you have an up to date version of the reader http://get.adobe.com/reader/ the version produced should be compatible with all devices.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick note to advise that MI6 won't appear around the 10th November as planned. This is due to holidays and also the difficulty of arranging sufficient photoshoots at convenient points in the recent weeks to justify the 64 page free online version. The next issue of MI will be the print version in the January issue of BRM which goes on sale mid December which has some cracking content including Pete Waterman's Leamington Spa and Tony Wright's Little Bytham. MI6 will follow in due course.

The Southern Region have been conspicuous by their absence so far. ;)

'Scuse me!

Despite the Brunswick Green livery and copper capped chimney, Mr Craven's tank engine No 166 comes of impeccable Southern origins! :yes: Mr York, please write 100 lines on the subject of "All things Brighton beautiful".

On a slightly more serious note, I wonder whether the "text heavy" format of that article really suits an on-line magazine? The photo feature articles come out brilliantly and provide a dimension over and above the normal printed format. However, I find large lumps of text quite difficult to digest on screen (especially even when I have written them). I wonder whether something in-between - pictures with extended captions like the Middleton Press books - might work better as a way to tell a story on-line?

Best wishes

Eric

Ahem, my apologies are certainly due Eric but I'll play the "I meant stuff that's full of Bulleid's Broken Boilers".

I do agree with your perspective to be honest Eric but I don't get an awful lot of feedback in terms of likes and dislikes.

Well done Andy and team. incredible photos and I like the page turning displays. I have to agree with Apollo earlier about Crossfields, its hard to believe its N gauge even cruelly enlarged on a computer screen. Its only the huge couplings occasionally visible and "that" penny that give the game away. The weathering is incredibly realistic.

• 4 months later...

I've been spending most of my time on photos linked with articles for the mag and some articles themselves to have had the time spare to generate the content I'd like to; add in show preparation and sundry tasks it's just not been possible to fit it in I'm afraid. It's one of those 'will when I can' situations.

Archived