Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

As one of the BCB boards will be at Taunton, will you be wanting it re-gauged /re-scaled to 7mm ?

I doubt that will be popular with the rest of the team...but thanks for the offer Stu. 

• Like 1

Regarding the weighting of 7mm wagons - what's the accepted norm? I generally put 5no 2p pieces in 4mm wagons!!

The Gauge O Guild technical manual says "We recommended that model rolling stock should weigh not less than 1 gram per millimetre of vehicle length (equal to approximately 1oz/in) with a minimum weight of 125gm (4.4oz)."

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

What a great scheme and more chance to pack in even more detail in 7mm.

I had a look in a few books earlier today, especially at the track around the references you quoted and besides the main running line, I found that a lot of the rail lengths outside the main running line can be shorter than 60 foot.

Bodmin North goods yard clearly has 30 foot rails (sitting on 12 sleepers) in the foreground of the photo on page 24, "Steam in Cornwall", Peter Gray, 1993 and a 60 foot (on 24) in the platform road. From a selection of photos, it appears that much of the line between Bodmin and Dunmere was relayed with 60 foot panels on concrete sleepers before 1960. See the photo, on page 29, of "Steam Colour Portfolio, Southern Region, Volume One", by Keith Pirt, where 30585 takes the Wenford branch on 45 foot rails, whilst in the foreground is the brand new concrete sleepered track freshly layed up the gradient towards Dunmere Halt.

At Boscarne Junction, (page 19, "Steam Colour Portfolio, Southern & Western Lines", Keith Pirt) you can see GWR two-bolt chairs on the first track, sitting alongside SR three-bolt on the rear tracks as 30585 takes trip 637 towards Dunmere. As far as I know, neither company used a 12" X 8" sleeper under the chairs either side of rail joint, which makes life easier for the Southern and Western track-basher.

Lots of fun ahead with the big stuff!

All the best,

John.

Edit: Found a couple more examples in "Steam Trails: The Withered Arm", Michael Clemens, 2007, that show some more 45 foot rails in use. On page 69, 30709 is standing in the main platform road at Bude in May 1961.  The loop in the foreground looks to be laid with 45 foot rails (on 18) following on from a short non-standard length held in just 11 chairs.  On p27, The "main line" at Callington is 45 foot rail passing in front of the shed road with 30225 in view. So lots of possibilities for you to have fun with!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

what have you done....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will chuck you some rail and other bits that I have left after my misguided venture into O....

Only kidding.  

Don't know about your wagon kits but I was always annoyed that brake gear hangers were molded like a solid lump on some kits where with a bit of scrapped etch you can fold your own for nowt...

Good luck, let me know if I can help

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Gauge O Guild technical manual says "We recommended that model rolling stock should weigh not less than 1 gram per millimetre of vehicle length (equal to approximately 1oz/in) with a minimum weight of 125gm (4.4oz)."

with a couple of eggs that is sufficient flour for half a dozen fairy cakes (notice the use of the British word 'fairy' rather than the American and incorrect word  'Cup'  )

Andy 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

what have you done....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will chuck you some rail and other bits that I have left after my misguided venture into O....

Only kidding.  

Don't know about your wagon kits but I was always annoyed that brake gear hangers were molded like a solid lump on some kits where with a bit of scrapped etch you can fold your own for nowt...

Good luck, let me know if I can help

Andy

What have I done? Just discovered how brittle Parkside plastic can be!

Can you help? I'm sure at some point but the donations are welcome...

with a couple of eggs that is sufficient flour for half a dozen fairy cakes (notice the use of the British word 'fairy' rather than the American and incorrect word  'Cup'  )

Andy 

I do worry about you sometimes Banks.

Oh dear......

Spill beans....

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, moving on....

The Southern 25T Pillbox Brakevan:

An evening of mishap and progress. Over the Easter weekend I progressed all of the kits I had but all reached a point where I didn't have the things I needed with me. For the Pillbox this was weight. Having been advised (thank you) that I needed 1g / mm of wagon and that it was best that the weight was added in the chassis voids (another thanks), I decided to abort the brakevan with just three parts fixed together. 

post-6675-0-57655300-1364939770_thumb.jpg

The above photo shows the main underframe truss fixed to the two halves of the top. I cut a hole in the middle to feed in fishing weights - a bit like liquid lead. No idea where this came from but I have a box full of it! The lead was added tonight after work and returning back from a weekend away. 

post-6675-0-91026500-1364939791_thumb.jpg

Noting that I'd read somewhere that watered down PVA and lead expanded over time, I just topped off the hole with a bit of Zap CA. Then I noticed that the assembly wasn't quite flat, so applied a little pressure to bend it straight and SNAP!

post-6675-0-88534200-1364939753_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-88632300-1364939730_thumb.jpg

Ooops. It would appear that the plastic in this kit is a bit on the brittle side. Not sure this is normal but I didn't apply that much force.

So, out comes the Plastic Weld and a flat surface.

post-6675-0-31460800-1364939695_thumb.jpg

The kit also has side pockets, room for some more weight. I've a load of load flashing off-cuts saved from the house extension and one of these was rescued tonight from the stash in the shed. It was cut with a Stanley knife into 10mm wide strips, 150mm long, which were then folded over to fit in the chassis side voids. 

post-6675-0-31745200-1364939711_thumb.jpg

The solebars were then attached to both sides and left to set on a flat surface. 

post-6675-0-55352200-1364939661_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-89421200-1364939677_thumb.jpg

The four little holes in the top deck are to let any solvent fumes from the void escape and avoid later bendiness! 

PS, the assembly so far weighs in at 140g, so I should be on target for the c180g figure for this vehicle.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Tonight's other activity has been modifying the brakevan body / cabin pieces to represent one of the later variants that had 2+2 planking and an extra window in the ends. The 2+2 bit basically means that there were two normal height planks and then two 1/2 height planks. This was a wartime measure to make use of smaller section timber sizes. The next material-saving step was to build the sides out of plywood. 

To make sure I get the 1/2 height planks in the right place i have referred to Volume 4 and the final Pictorial book from the "Illustrated History of Southern Wagons" series by Mike King et al. As far as I can see this is a valid variant to go along with the kit's light footboard brackets, RHS duckets and solid 'W' irons. This photo on Paul's site shows the 2+2 planking well (although it's the final D1582 with modified brakes rather than the D1579 I'm doing). This photo, also on Paul's site, shows the 2+2 on the correct D1579.

The van will therefore have to be numbered in the 1940 onwards series. 

First shot has the body pieces laid out and the holes for the handrails drilled out.

post-6675-0-69282700-1365024093_thumb.jpg

Second shot shows the before and during mods to the ends. Still work to do on the window but the solvent needs to set...

post-6675-0-19924800-1365024071_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Looking at traffic on the Wenford line, it would appear that an ex LNER Toad brakevan was more often than not seen on freights. I'm fairly sure it's the same one in lots of different photos, so perhaps it was based at Wadebridge, and I've narrowed it down to being either a Toad B or a Toad E. Looking at photos on Paul's site I must admit I can't tell the difference between these two diagrams! Anyone else know??

Edit: apparently the Toads have been looked into by others and sample numbers that ran to Wenford include:

E153583

Toad Es E162261 and E178583

Other numbers added 9 Feb 2018: E153583 Toad B, E162261 and E178635 Toad E.

Also found this YouTube video that clearly shows E178635

post-6675-0-06760100-1368813358.jpg

It's looking really good Chris! Mine wasn't very brittle, which is odd.

You may also want to know that there was another window on the inside ends, I know they were there on the uneven planked versions, 'cept, I forgot to add them!

Jack

Edited by Jack P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's looking really good Chris! Mine wasn't very brittle, which is odd.

You may also want to know that there was another window on the inside ends, I know they were there on the uneven planked versions, 'cept, I forgot to add them!

Jack

Yes, some had an extra window on the other side of the door, depending upon period modelled and whether the van got the modification. The photo I have of the particular one I'm modelling doesn't appear to have them, so I've not put them in yet.

Glad I did this before gluing all the body together!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Edit to the above, I'm increasingly convinced that the date on the photo I'm working on is too late. All the appropriate vans on Paul's site appear to have the third window, so I'll add that tonight.  

• RMweb Premium

Got sidetracked convincing myself on the correct number of windows, so not much done apart from scoring all the extra plank lines (some cleaning up to do) on all the parts.

post-6675-0-31643500-1365111892_thumb.jpg

And starting to add the bits leftover from when the sandboxes were removed... (looks like there's some metal blanking plates to add too - see link below)

post-6675-0-95019500-1365111936_thumb.jpg

And yes, I have done the planking mods on the inside of the ends too!

post-6675-0-88738400-1365111912_thumb.jpg

And I think I've changed my mind on my prototype vehicle and will base it on this one instead.

May be some more excitement tomorrow evening!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking at traffic on the Wenford line, it would appear that an ex LNER Toad brakevan was more often than not seen on freights. I'm fairly sure it's the same one in lots of different photos, so perhaps it was based at Wadebridge, and I've narrowed it down to being either a Toad B or a Toad E. Looking at photos on Paul's site I must admit I can't tell the difference between these two diagrams! Anyone else know??

I think the Toad B had the timber ducket and the Toad E was steel, some of Paul's photos show the B's rebuilt with steel ones, otherwise I think the same van.

• Like 1