Jump to content
Image restoration from pre-May 2021 continues and may take an indefinite period of time.

LNER/BR(ER) modellers - heads up!


jwealleans
 Share

Recommended Posts

I hope that that this is the correct place to ask the assembled LNER experts on here a couple of questions regarding LNER freight stock liveries:

 

I am sure that I read somewhere recently that LNER vans were painted in bauxite brown - similar to BR bauxite - rather than red oxide during WW2?  The trouble is that I cannot now remember where I read it so am unable to check.  If this is the case would it therefore be appropriate to simply re-letter a van from BR bauxite to LNER style rather than have to repaint it first in red oxide?

 

Were the DX type open containers painted blue or red oxide?  I have some Powsides transfers to letter a Parkside kit but I am uncertain about the colour.  I can understand that the box type containers would have been blue but the open containers seem less likely to have been blue also?

 

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

 

Gerry

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bulwell Hall said:

I hope that that this is the correct place to ask the assembled LNER experts on here a couple of questions regarding LNER freight stock liveries:

 

I am sure that I read somewhere recently that LNER vans were painted in bauxite brown - similar to BR bauxite - rather than red oxide during WW2?  The trouble is that I cannot now remember where I read it so am unable to check.  If this is the case would it therefore be appropriate to simply re-letter a van from BR bauxite to LNER style rather than have to repaint it first in red oxide?

 

Were the DX type open containers painted blue or red oxide?  I have some Powsides transfers to letter a Parkside kit but I am uncertain about the colour.  I can understand that the box type containers would have been blue but the open containers seem less likely to have been blue also?

 

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

 

Gerry

 

Afternoon Jerry,

 

A friend of mine has been conducting quite extensive research on this from original source material.

 

LNER wagons, vans and containers were painted bauxite during the war, however nobody really knows what colour this actually was, certainly not the brown bauxite used by the LMS. It is also not known how many wagons etc received bauxite paint, red oxide probably still accounted for the majority. Paint faded and stock got dirty, so I wouldn't worry too much about renumbering your van as the Bachmann colour is probably a half way house between red oxide and BR bauxite anyway.

 

Only the LNER door to door furniture containers were painted in blue, though the majority of these remained in red oxide with yellow lettering. Just about everything (some obvious exceptions) else was in red oxide until bauxite repaints were required.

 

I include a small image of LNER red oxide containers in the background of the image.

LNER red oxide containers.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Andrew - exactly what I needed to know and wanted to hear!  Interesting also to see that the containers had white roofs.  Should the lettering on the DX container be white or yellow do you think - or am I just being too pedantic?

 

Very helpful indeed.

 

Best wishes

 

Gerry

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Thank you Andrew - exactly what I needed to know and wanted to hear!  Interesting also to see that the containers had white roofs.  Should the lettering on the DX container be white or yellow do you think - or am I just being too pedantic?

 

Very helpful indeed.

 

Best wishes

 

Gerry

 

The lettering was referred to as chrome (yellow) on the red oxide finish, I'm not sure about the colour used on bauxite but I think that I do have the info, his may have been white but better to re check rather than guess. I will have to get back to you. I may also have some updated info on the DX containers.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bachmann have an LNER van in early BR livery to be released, 38-382.

Many retailers are using a Fruit van description for this. That was in the Bachmann 2018 catalogue.

However, I have been in contact with Bachmann and they confirmed it will in fact be a corrugated end vent van, like 38-380 and 38-380a with a different running number.

This is consistent with the current picture and description on Bachmann's own website.

I hope this is helpful to anyone that was wondering.

Tom

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Something else new on the way: at S4North in March I was talking to Ian MacDonald along with Jon4470 and Ian asked for any ideas for new kits.  Jon came out with the D45 steel BG instantly.  We've been looking at it since then and a couple of weeks ago some etches dropped onto the doormat.  There have been etches produced for this vehicle before, but they've been unavailable for many years.  Steve Banks illustrates his build of those etches here and also provides much invaluable prototype information here.  These were built in 1927-8 and were used on principal ECML services up to the War.

 

Ian's etches are for the sides as all the rest can be made up from MJT parts.  This is what you need:

 

MCG-d45-bg-parts.jpg

 

The sides have recessed strips for the raised beading over the seams to seat into and once the handrails are added you can flood them with solder from the rear.  The handrails along the length of the sides are a feature of this and the contemporary teak diagram (113).  Ian provides bending jigs on the etch.  

 

Construction is straightforward, making the same modifications as I do to all MJT vehicles I build.  The main points specific to this vehicle are the ends.  As they're also steel panelled, you have to lose the MJT detail and reprofile them to a different shape.  

 

MCG-D45-end-soldered.jpg

 

MCG-D45-end.jpg

 

It's quite easy to do and very much like the filling and shaping you do to the roof dome.  

 

When assembled the model has a quite airy look underneath as there's no trussing on this vehicle.

 

MCG-D45-side-1.jpg

 

MCG-D45-side-2.jpg

 

We gave it a test run at the weekend on what would have been their regular prewar working, the Flying Scotsman.

 

Grantham-D45-test-build.jpg

 

There is probably another test build to go through before Ian's happy with it but I'm sure he'll be happy to take expressions of interest and will let everyone know when it becomes available.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jonathon,

 

Great stuff...

 

... but now you have the tricky stuff still to do: the bodyside beading goes around the ends -- and would have been easier with a longer etched strip.

 

But what about the roof detail? Lots and lots of steel plates riveted together.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Extra strip for the beading is on the list of changes.  I think it will have to be a separate part as it would be unlikely to survive the filling and sanding required on the end - in my hands, anyway.  For the roof strips I was going to use the very fine tape Comet do for their GWR carriages.  The seams, or beading, or whatever they are are not too prominent (in most pictures they're not visible) and once they've had a coat of weathering muck they'll blend in.  As Steve Banks points out, they seem to stop at the rainstrips.  Maybe they sealed and stopped the seams at that point to try to keep the water out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the roof strips are actually riveted joints between roof panels. They are less apparent below the rain strips - perhaps the rivets were counter sunk here?

 

The strips are quite visible in some photos but much less so in others.

 

Jon

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

MCG-D45-finished-1.jpg

 

MCG-D45-finished-2.jpg

 

I took the opportunity at Hartlepool to photograph the completed D45 prototype BG on Shap.  Ian is undertaking at least one more test build before the kit is available.

 

Jonathan

 

That’s looking good - was hoping to get to Hartlepool.....but life intervened!

 

Jon

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 21/10/2019 at 16:08, jwealleans said:

MCG-D45-finished-1.jpg

 

MCG-D45-finished-2.jpg

 

I took the opportunity at Hartlepool to photograph the completed D45 prototype BG on Shap.  Ian is undertaking at least one more test build before the kit is available.

Jonathon,

 

That is just superb!

 

The roof panelling is absolutely as subtle as the real thing.

 

 

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote

The roof panelling is absolutely as subtle as the real thing.

 

As intended, I used the Comet roof tape.  to get to stick, but it did work well.

 

Quote

here was apparently one or more D45s on the GE section for a while

 

There was.  This one, 6700, later (as here) 70038.

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

 

As intended, I used the Comet roof tape.  to get to stick, but it did work well.

 

 

There was.  This one, 6700, later (as here) 70038.

 

Thanks, sign me up for one then please when the time comes (I assume there will be details on how to order when appropriate) :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2019 at 11:14, Dominion said:

Niumodels are planning an NE snowplough. Taking expressions of interest at niumodels@gmail.com and there are more details in the topic on

 

 

Thanks for the mention.

 

The NER Plough is the first of several LNER RTR models we have in the development pipeline and hope to bring to fruition over the next few years. These will complement our growing range of LNER conversions kits.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NiuModels said:

 

The NER Plough is the first of several LNER RTR models we have in the development pipeline....

 

 

Colour me intrigued! Especially if they are also North Eastern in flavour!

 

Maybe I should have said 'colour me Saxony Green!'

 

Looking forward to further info/hints/announcements!

 

Cheers

 

J

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...