Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

I like 60's - they have a nice "retro" look about them!

I've never seen one "in the flesh".......

Best, Pete.

I'm not over keen on them to be honest Pete but they do look quite good in a sort of 'quiet' way.  And just to get you wound up I once had the use of one, with train, plus Driver, for an entire afternoon - to more or less do with as I pleased beyond the trips which I had pre-arranged for it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not over keen on them to be honest Pete but they do look quite good in a sort of 'quiet' way.  And just to get you wound up I once had the use of one, with train, plus Driver, for an entire afternoon - to more or less do with as I pleased beyond the trips which I had pre-arranged for it.

Which explains the 60 and MGR train at Henley ... 

• RMweb Premium

60s add a bit of variety at Donny; and Donny needs some variety - honestly!

Lovely pics JIm. Hereford is a lovely Station if rather quiet, sadly. The Model Centre - next time ask if you can see the cellar :secret:  

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

flooding in Chirk tonight i hear

yeah, it was bad this morning too, our shunter lost control of his van in the snow en route to chirk this morning!

part of the reason for the delayed departure was waiting for late running atw trains due to the flooding

yeah, it was bad this morning too, our shunter lost control of his van in the snow en route to chirk this morning!

part of the reason for the delayed departure was waiting for late running atw trains due to the flooding

Snow in May - OMG!

• RMweb Premium

So is the Carlisle - Baglan not running?

The Friday Carlisle-Chirk often morphs into a Ribblehead-Chirk with slightly shorter (therefore 56 capable) formation - here's hoping. Sometimes retains the 6J37 headcode, but can also use 6Z70

Cheers,

Mick

The Friday Carlisle-Chirk often morphs into a Ribblehead-Chirk with slightly shorter (therefore 56 capable) formation - here's hoping. Sometimes retains the 6J37 headcode, but can also use 6Z70

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks very much

Wonder why it ran that way?

Ive got 2 solid weeks of 6J37 coming up (warrington-chirk-crewe) roster man appologised to me about it but i thanked him as its one job that suits me down to the ground, 17:10 pass to warrington off crewe and back at 00:30ish in bed for 00:45!

Can get a decent amount of sleep and run the kids to and from school every day and most importantly i get to do a bit more on the layout in the daytime!

So is it taking the early path on Friday?

• RMweb Gold

It was late departing Carlisle, don't know why, but it went straight down.

It got looped at Eden Valley and Oubeck - probably a nice run, but better weather would have made it even nicer, 66850 climbing the high hills of Shap / Grayrigg with a load of twigs behind - me jealous ? never.

Obviously it got held at Chester - I bet JF was eating malt loaf and his fingers slipped off the buttons

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It was late departing Carlisle, don't know why, but it went straight down.

It does randomly - or so it seems - to go south WCML. The Clitheroe-Manchester DMU has a couple of "odd" trains that don't follow the normal hourly pattern, just after 6K05 and 6J37 are due through the area, so if K05/J37 are late at Carlisle, they are sometimes routed WCML.

If 6K05 is loco only, i.e. 0K05, it often runs WCML.

6M11 Killoch-Fidler's Ferry PS is another that randomly seems to travel south WCML. Even my man at Preston PSB has no idea why they run WCML!

There is currently a STP with GBRf this week 0Z34 around similar times that may also affect the pathing. (Unsubstantiated rumour is that it's route learning extra drivers for when GBRf take over 6C02/6K05, the more likely explanation is more drivers for the Newbiggin Gypsum)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mick,

this was a very late change of route, the original S&C route was canned and a new VSTP route via the WCML entered, I suspect the late running meant a path was available for it down the WCML.

The K05 rumours are probably b&ll&cks, K05 leads into other workings, to Bescot for example, so it would be more than a simple C02/K05 take over. Gypsum is what the more reliable sources say.

cheers,

• RMweb Gold

nice video bob!

did the sinfin today as bobs video shows but photo wise there was nothing much different than the last 2 times i did it, i decided to take my "grown up camera" with me today so took the opportunity to get some pics while having a break in derby station using the zoom lens, pretty pleased with how they have come out

iphone picture into the sun, unusually today i fuelled on No3 fuel road

null-132.jpg

and into derby station

southbound voyager heads under london road

DSCF3474.jpg

66847 again on my train

DSCF3476.jpg

london bound meridian, taken from the carriage sidings on mid zoom

DSCF3477.jpg

couple of 170s, one for nottingham the other for cardiff

DSCF3481.jpg

cardiff bound

DSCF3485.jpg

notingham service (on full zoom from the end of the platfrom)

DSCF3486.jpg

Dr yellow heading south

DSCF3491.jpg

smoky old bus!!

DSCF3492.jpg

freightlner coal service heading north

DSCF3495.jpg

and journeys end in crewe

DSCF3498.jpg

got a route refresh day tomorrow and instead of my planned trip to donny i've got to do liverpool for a conducting move on sunday

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

had a road refreshing trip to liverpool today so i can conduct a tamper from edge hill to huyton on sunday, a few pics but forgot my camera so used the iphone again

had to go into lime street to get a train back out to huyton

panorama pic of lime street

null-133.jpg

then headed out to huyton on a northern service.....

huyton looking towards liverpool

null-136.jpg

apparently they are reinstating the 4 track formation from huyton towards liverpool hence all the groundworks, not sure how far towards liverpool it will go though, not been up on the northwest scene for a while, also it will be being electrified very soon

high security!!

null-135.jpg

huyton box will be going once the new track goes in and the line is electrified

then back to edge hill on another northern service, seen here dropping down into the tunnels into lime st

null-137.jpg

a very busy station with a wide variety of units passing through, lots of different routes to be had too!

null-138.jpg

null-139.jpg

null-140.jpg

null-141.jpg

my tamper is already sat in the gullet sidings, have clarified with the box which way i will be coming on on sunday which is via the hand points into the down wapping sidings and back out via them onto the chat moss line, been a very useful day, nothing has changed signal wise, reaquainted myself with the various indications i need for the move etc

finally after a look round i headed back into lime st to get my train back to crewe

another panorama shot

null-142.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the Derby pictures from yesterday - I love the way that the numbers on 170101 are all out of line (photo 6) - if anyone did that on a model the rivet counters would say it's all wrong !

Mike

• Like 1

Going back to the Derby pictures from yesterday - I love the way that the numbers on 170101 are all out of line (photo 6) - if anyone did that on a model the rivet counters would say it's all wrong !

Mike

Thanks to that prototype numbering....there is hope for me yet.!!