Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SCARM - Layout design software with 3D ? All users Topic

Jaggzuk

• 2 weeks later...

See one nice gallery with very detailed SCARM screenshots, containing scenes from Indian Railways:

Farrukhabad And More From Indian Railways in SCARM

Here are just 3 of them:

SCARM_FB_007-475x300.jpg

SCARM_FB_012-475x300.jpg

SCARM_FB_006-475x300.jpg

These were created with the old v.0.9.24 without the cylinder figures. The new v. 0.9.25 will be able to produce even more rich and realistic landscapes. Read about it at SCARM Railway Layout Software v. 0.9.25 Released in SCARM Blog.

Mixy

Well, the guy who made all this in SCARM is not publishing the project files or at least I cannot find them. But you can contact it on FB and ask for the files.

Another fan was also very impressed with the overhead system and yesterday sent a project in N scale, that he created for sharing. I will publish it soon :)

Mixy

Something important!

Several users reported for a problem with the new SCARM 0.9.25 after update. This is probably due to corrupted download of the installation package. It seems that sometimes installer is able to run even if it is not downloaded correctly, but after that, the program crashes on startup. If you also experience such problems, follow the steps described in the link below:

Resolving SCARM Installation Issues

This should help for fixing of bad setup package downloads :)

Mixy

Mixy are you able to add Marcway points to the track library?

Give me some link or catalog snapshot of these tracks to see the dimensions and geometry and then will tell :)

Mixy

• 3 weeks later...

Many users asked about the file with the steam loco that I used for demonstration of the new cylinder features in v. 0.9.25. Here is it:

Drawing of Prussian T3 Steam Loco in SCARM

The article shows also most of the steps in the drawing of the loco. Here are the parts of the wheelset.

T3-1a.jpgT3-1b.jpg

See more pics in the blog post.

Mixy

In the beginning of November, I launched the new SCARM website, which now has modern look and responsive design and comes with a lot of new and updated information and resources about the program. Go and see it:

www.scarm.info

SCARM_new_site_preview_sm.png

The site now works well not only on PCs, but also on tablets and smartphones too. Contents section is rewritten and optimized for easy navigation and access to the most important pages. The same is valid also for the documentation - it has new structure with many new and updated topics. See the new help page here:

Online help & FAQ about SCARM layout software

Hope you will like the new site :)

Mixy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-19771-0-03357000-1417261794_thumb.jpg

post-19771-0-62480700-1417295708_thumb.jpg

Was considering a narrow gauge project in a similar space (13'6" X 4' max) Advantage of this one is it allows continuous running & would use Hornby OO 0-4-0 chassis so would cost peanuts. Should also look pretty. Minimum radius 15" and savage gradients but short stock & trains shouldn't have a problem. Still like the pull of O gauge though so this one may give somebody else some inspiration! Redrawn another of Mr Freezers plans originally meant for OO but it seems to lend itself to Narrow gauge rather well. Perhaps an option given how hard small boys are on locomotives. Perhaps as an expendable step? 

Edited to add 3D image to show how the gradients work. A few more inches on the baseboard width at the front looks necessary. Would still be within 4' as drawn. Thanks Mixy. Should be a road going under both tracks to the station but you get the gist.  Plan drawn using Peco OO setrack which could be purchased second hand & the sleepers buried in ash. The more time it takes to finish the railway room. The more ideas I come up with. Can only build one at time!

Edited by L&Y

And here is it - the new SCARM v. 0.9.26, coming with the new online help system integrated and the promised Layers feature. Read more details here:

SCARM Track Planning Software 0.9.26 Released

Hope you will like the new release ;)

@L&Y: Nice plan - I like it :) To make a JPG snapshot in SCARM 3D Viewer, select "JPEG files" for the file type in Save dialog box.

Mixy

• 2 weeks later...

IMPORTANT!

Several bugs were discovered in SCARM 0.9.26 related to the renaming of the layers and then save and restore of the already changed layer names. The patched version of the program was released today.

Please upgrade to SCARM 0.9.27, which can be downloaded from www.scarm.info to fix these problems.

See more about this bugfix update in the following blog post: SCARM v. 0.9.27 Released.

I am sorry if these bugs caused any problems and inconvenience in your work with SCARM. If you see another problems, please report them here or in SCARM Blog and I will try to fix them ASAP.

Mixy

Edited by Mixy

Here I want to present the first very detailed virtual locomotive models in SCARM, created by Ian Donohoe and shown in the SCARM blog here:

Detailed 3D Models of US Diesel Locomotives in SCARM

Below are two of them:

SCARM_EMD_GP9-SP_diesel_locomotive_1.jpg

SCARM_EMD_G30-ATSF_diesel_locomotive_1.j

These are created with the object's interface of SCARM and are auto-scalable to the scale / gauge of the used tracks in the layout plan.

SCARM_All_GP9_Diesl_Locos_different_scal

Download the loco library from the blog's post and use these nice models in your virtual SCARM layouts :)

Mixy

And something special for N-scalers: I've managed to make the complete KATO N Unitrack library for SCARM with all bridges and viaducts :)

As the new version of the program is not yet finished, you can download the updated KATO library from here:

Updated KATO N Unitrack Library for SCARM

See some of the straight bridge and viaduct sections in 3D below:

SCARM-KATO-N-Unitrack-bridges_viaducts.j

Try it and let me know if everything with the KATO bridges and viaducts is OK :)

Mixy

• 2 weeks later...

Two questions. Could the show size & area be savable in a jpeg? Could the roads be done in blue to use as simple to use canals, rivers etc/  Some different widths would be useful. It takes ages making water courses using blue polygons.... 

About size & area in JPEG export - no, that is not available in the current version of SCARM, but you can use text captions instead - see more here: How to add text in the drawing.

About blue roads - yes, you can select a road section and color it in the same way like coloring of tracks in SCARM, but I do not recommend using roads as rivers.

Mixy

post-16201-0-34553700-1420494954_thumb.jpgI have had a try a plotting a layout using Scarm for a friend.  The design is entirely his and my plot has a few bad connections.

I would like to try TRAINPLAYER and run trains on it. I only have the "Demo" version at the moment  but will purchase the full programme if I can learn how to turn a Scarm plan into a TP layout.

I am told that TP now has British Rolling stock available.  Not seen any yet.

Can anyone help me get through this process please. 

That will be quite difficult as the file formats of SCARM and TrainPlayer are not compatible. However, more and more users asks about running trains in SCARM and I may consider adding such feature in some of the future versions of the program.

Here are listed the SCARM railway blog posts for December with a nice content, especially for N-scalers.

The next version of SCARM is almost ready and should be published soon :)

Mixy

This opens up an interesting debate.  

Should a program originally inspired to allow for easy and simple design of model railway track plans with the added benefit of a 3D view. evolve in to a program that allows you to "play" trains.  There are already many very good software games out there that allow you to build a layout (real or fictitious) and to simulate train movements some with fantastic 3D rendering, but in the main, these are not interned to act as a prime layout design software.

As seen on the SCARM website "SCARM means Simple Computer Aided Railway Modeller – a free software for easy and simple design of model railway layouts and railroad track plans.".  The issue of seeing anything move brings in the whole issue of resolution and render quality and if being seen in the 3D view, will appear very clunky when compared to the "simulation" games.

I question what would the real benefit be of seeing a train running around a SCARM track plan?  If it is to check vehicle/consist length in the layout plan, then it is currently possible to add rolling stock shapes to the track plan to ensure that platforms,bays, loops and sidings etc are long enough.

Personally I would like to see the ability to be able to add rolling stock objects that latch to the rail head without the need to set the height manually and that these work on level, incline and curved track.  This would then allow rolling stock shapes/lengths to be used as a tool in the planning process.

Paul

I need to check the user opinions, because "adding of such feature" are just 4 words, but behind these, there is a lot of work to be done in order to see even simple movement in the 3D viewer.

SCARM is and will continue to be a layout planning tool. If some simulation mode appears in the future, it will be a layout simulation extension to the main program in order to allow verifying of the train operations on the real layout and helping to avoid mistakes in the planning. It will not be a game or simulation of the real world transportation, as there are many other software packages for that. So any thoughts about running trains in SCARM are welcome.

Mixy

I'm not sure that being able to check vehicle/consist length in the layout plan is completely accurate anyway. My new layout was planned with SCARM, and I got all the dimensions almost right, but ended up tweaking them a bit when I laid it out full size on the baseboard. It may work on a big layout, but not on my small one.

I think a big improvement would be making it easier to add scenery. I tried to add a bit to my plan, but adding contours in many thin layers was too time consuming, so I just did that part of the design in my head!

On the subject of easier scenery, would it be possible to use the polygon feature, but in the vertical plane, to create formers, much as we would with wood when modelling scenery, and have the "ground" follow the formers? It would give a good idea of how an open baseboard plan might look.