Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

Anyone spot the southern green model at Warley? And if so I don't suppose anyone took a picture?

No Southern one on show, but the EKR one was on display. Plus a sound version was in action too. Got a short video of the stand coming up soon. But here's some pics of the EKR version. 

post-20663-0-83009900-1480518571_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-70329000-1480518578_thumb.jpg

A short video taking a look at the Oxford Rail Stand, during the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition.
On show, as well a huge display of Diecast Vehicles, was a number of up and coming and prototype Oxford Rail items, featuring the all new GWR Dean Goods (including the new limited Edition NRM Version), a selection of BR Mk3 coaches and Carflat.
On top of this there was also running samples of the new Sound Fitted Adams Radial Tanks, as well as the all new Golden Valley Hobbies, YE Janus 0-6-0DE.
Filmed Saturday 26th November 2016, we take a closure look at these new models, plus more. 
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIalnjuuW4U

• RMweb Gold

I bought my Radial Tank back in April from the RMWeb members day at Taunton, very smooth performer. I haven't tested the hauling capacity yet, but it is a rather nice runner. One thing I am planning on changing are the pony and tailing wheels, which are a but chunky.

post-7376-0-03918300-1480845895_thumb.jpg

Next to Kernow's LSWR signal box, it does look at home!

post-7376-0-09824700-1480846168_thumb.jpg

Driver likes it too!

Kind regards.

Nick.

Edited by Brinkly
  • Like 6

I bought my Radial Tank back in April from the RMWeb members day at Taunton, very smooth performer. I haven't tested the hauling capacity yet, but it is a rather nice runner. One thing I am planning on changing are the pony and tailing wheels, which are a but chunky.

attachicon.gifIMG_1625.JPG

Next to Kernow's LSWR signal box, it does look at home!

attachicon.gifIMG_1628.JPG

Driver likes it too!

Kind regards.

Nick.

But maybe not that specific signal box which I understand was based on the Boscarne Junction box on the Wadebridge to Bodmin (both stations) and Wendford Bridge Line.  I would be happy to know if an Adams Radial ever traversed that line as I might then be interested in obtaining one.

But maybe not that specific signal box which I understand was based on the Boscarne Junction box on the Wadebridge to Bodmin (both stations) and Wendford Bridge Line.  I would be happy to know if an Adams Radial ever traversed that line as I might then be interested in obtaining one.

Hello Ken, 

I believe that you are right to question a wider application of the signal box, on accuracy grounds; likewise the Adams 0415. However, I have no such qualms. Rule 1 will come to my rescue.

Scottest

• RMweb Gold

Rails of Sheffield have weathered versions of the Oxford LSWR Adams for £79.50 in today's Advent deal:

https://railsofsheffield.com/rails-advent-calendar-9th-december-JJJGP2053.aspx

Unweathered versions are also on sale are Rails for ten quid less...

https://railsofsheffield.com/oxford-rail-or76ar003-adams-radial-4-4-2t-488-in-lswr-JJJA27454.aspx

Could be tempted myself at that price!

I was tempted at that price... duly ordered  :)

cheers,

Keith

Edited by Keith Lilley
  • Like 1

Certain shops are starting to say that the EKR version is now in stock.

Soon by finding out how good their sound is now and how effective the modifications were (compared with the very first batch) on preventing wheel slip when change in incline is met.

Soon by finding out how good their sound is now and how effective the modifications were (compared with the very first batch) on preventing wheel slip when change in incline is met.

One site I looked at says the sound version is fitted with a Loksound V4 decoder, makes it sound (excuse the pun) a bit of a bargain at £158.

One site I looked at says the sound version is fitted with a Loksound V4 decoder, makes it sound (excuse the pun) a bit of a bargain at £158.

I hope to find out it in the next few days. I originally ordered EKR one in plain format. Then, several months later, Oxfordrail added sound versions to all up coming items. An excellent move on their part and fully commended especially on this loco which - at first - was not easy to convert.

So I duly upgraded my EKR order to sound. Providing no one beats me to it, I'll do an unboxing Adams radial sound video when it comes - without the box!

Hmmm, I have the odd impression that I appear to be the only person here actually interested in the EKR version.... 

Guest Midland Mole

Hmmm, I have the odd impression that I appear to be the only person here actually interested in the EKR version.... 

Well to be honest, we got the EKR version delivered to the shop this morning (both sound & normal) and our first thoughts were....why? It is quite a niche livery in my opinion. But they will sell, I'm sure of it. :)

- Alex

I hope to find out it in the next few days. I originally ordered EKR one in plain format. Then, several months later, Oxfordrail added sound versions to all up coming items. An excellent move on their part and fully commended especially on this loco which - at first - was not easy to convert.

So I duly upgraded my EKR order to sound. Providing no one beats me to it, I'll do an unboxing Adams radial sound video when it comes - without the box!

Not necessarily but I think everyone wants to know what it sounds like ?

I was planning to buy a Radial for my planned EM gauge Colonel Stephens layout, long before the EKR version was announced. So I'd have bought an original version and repainted it. But then I got seduced into O gauge for this layout by the Dapol Terriers that were already in the right livery!

• RMweb Gold

Just looked at the website of The Hobby Shop at Faversham and see that they have both versions in stock.

Will be collecting mine next Wednesday (when my credit card clicks over!!) on my monthly pilgrimage to Faversham. Living not that far from the old East Kent Railway  and having built up a collection of East Kent coalfield coal wagons over the years at last I'll have an off the shelf dcc sound-fitted EKR loco to haul them.

As far as I'm concerned, a great release by Oxford.

Keith

Just looked at the website of The Hobby Shop at Faversham and see that they have both versions in stock.

Will be collecting mine next Wednesday (when my credit card clicks over!!) on my monthly pilgrimage to Faversham. Living not that far from the old East Kent Railway  and having built up a collection of East Kent coalfield coal wagons over the years at last I'll have an off the shelf dcc sound-fitted EKR loco to haul them.

As far as I'm concerned, a great release by Oxford.

Keith

Aha, you are the one steeling all those East Kent coal field wagons off of E-bay before I can grab them!

• RMweb Gold

Aha, you are the one steeling all those East Kent coal field wagons off of E-bay before I can grab them!

Not me m'lord, had mine  ages :onthequiet: .   Got most of mine from the likes of the now departed Hythe (Kent) Models and other local shops and exhibitions. Think I also got a couple from the  K&ESR at Tenterden.

Keith

• Like 2

Following the Model Rail review, in which I raised this subject, the front bogie was slightly revised so that it does not foul the lower edge of the buffer beam. The more recent batches have the revised bogie and a replacement bogie was supplied for my sample, so it no longer suffers this problem. The modification is 100% effective. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Or this one! I wonder if the bush or telegraph pole will indicate where this was taken, by Dad in 1963 - according to the negative pocket I found it in.

Later - This has now been confirmed as on the Bluebell Railway. The rest of Dad's Bluebell Railway photos from the '60s & '70s are now in my gallery at - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4119-bluebell-railway-in-the-60s-70s/ 

and Radials can be seen on the Lyme Regis branch at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4120-adams-radial-tanks-on-the-lyme-regis-branch-1960/

post-14351-0-24746800-1481849862_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3

Or this one! I wonder if the bush or telegraph pole will indicate where this was taken, by Dad in 1963 - according to the negative pocket I found it in.

attachicon.gifAdams Radial in 1963.jpg

That would have been on Bluebell somewhere. What is interesting about this pick is that 488 is in LSWR livery but with the later normal chimney. I had though she always ran in preservation in this livery only with the stove pipe one (she did run in BR EC with the normal chimney). Thanks for sharing and giving us the date.

Edited by JSpencer

That would have been on Bluebell somewhere. What is interesting about this pick is that 488 is in LSWR livery but with the later normal chimney. I had though she always ran in preservation in this livery only with the stove pipe one (she did run in BR EC with the normal chimney). Thanks for sharing and giving us the date.

June 1976

post-7091-0-90744300-1481877872.jpg

• Like 6

June 1976

attachicon.gifS0467.JPG

This is fascinating.  Thanks for posting.

488 is here in the later, Drummond livery.

Under Drummond, the stovepipe chimneys were liable to be replaced, as here, but, the other feature Drummond added were the bunker coal rails, which are absent in this photograph!

• RMweb Gold

This is fascinating.  Thanks for posting.

488 is here in the later, Drummond livery.

Under Drummond, the stovepipe chimneys were liable to be replaced, as here, but, the other feature Drummond added were the bunker coal rails, which are absent in this photograph!

All of which confirms that preserved locos should only ever be used relied upon as a guide to modelling locos as-preserved.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling