Jessy1692's bits & pieces- Coaching stock and wagon bashing stuff with the odd loco

9 hours ago, LNERGE said:

Is this a real Triang tank?..

teavtg83191.png.3597c03c13098e7763e43bcda587ffe5.png

Very nearly, looking at the end it looks to me to be one of the lagged conical ended ones. Bogies a good match for Stenson ESC1's though!

• RMweb Gold

I'd concur, close but part of a cigar!

Whilst it's a TEA, it's actually a heavy fuel oil version with slightly different ends and lagging.

Bachmann do a version of this tank which is closer to the mark, (ignoring the dimensional niceties and what can be done to the Triang one), don't think that it's still in the catalogue though.

image.png.f938e703540af37a1b2a8f600152838d.png

Mike.

• Agree 1

Evening all, been a pretty stagnant few weeks on the modelling front from me for last few weeks, just very busy at work and home with one thing or another.

20220508_175149.jpg.c34af8080f5cd2de8d6fac9b4ffe33ec.jpg

Thankfully the sun came out today so the paintshop has been in full swing getting grey onto a lot of the mk1s and 2ds that have been desperately waiting finishing. 8 2ds now drying off awaiting masking 3 tso's (2 of which were FO's), 2 FO's  a BSO and a BFK conversion. Mk1 roll call is 3 tso (just ran out of spray for 2nd coat) 1 LFK 1 BG, 1 BCK, 1 BFk, 1 buffet and I think a BCK rounds it up.

Feels good to be shifting things along again, now let's hope the weather holds and the masking tape gods are with me!

Cheers

James

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all, painting has been progressing between work and dodging the rain. I had to order in fresh supplies of blue this week as I underestimated how much these would take.

Nearly everything has had 2 or 3 coats of blue. Just the Hachette TSO's lagging behind now needing masking up.

20220519_210058.jpg.4c27192dd8021d7b85ffe2e7c8f6099d.jpg20220519_210112.jpg.d6bfba829a8339603630ff8d2adfdba0.jpg20220519_210117.jpg.c3c0d8aac96b4e537fbf83cf81de7e6a.jpg20220519_210106.jpg.703f3bc0faadb47b994c518c26515a3a.jpg

Should be somewhere near done by weekend.

Cheers

James

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

30 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Evening all, painting has been progressing between work and dodging the rain. I had to order in fresh supplies of blue this week as I underestimated how much these would take.

Nearly everything has had 2 or 3 coats of blue. Just the Hachette TSO's lagging behind now needing masking up.

20220519_210058.jpg.4c27192dd8021d7b85ffe2e7c8f6099d.jpg20220519_210112.jpg.d6bfba829a8339603630ff8d2adfdba0.jpg20220519_210117.jpg.c3c0d8aac96b4e537fbf83cf81de7e6a.jpg20220519_210106.jpg.703f3bc0faadb47b994c518c26515a3a.jpg

Should be somewhere near done by weekend.

Cheers

James

Best use of a drying rack that I have seen for a long time🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jon4470 said:

Best use of a drying rack that I have seen for a long time🙂

With some pound shop trays you could extend it even further, might be difficult if you have wind, but then you'd want it somewhere sheltered anyway. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, scots region said:

With some pound shop trays you could extend it even further, might be difficult if you have wind, but then you'd want it somewhere sheltered anyway. 

Those with you wouldn’t appreciate being in the same shelter…

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

For what seems like weeks I have been on with the lining and transfers for this batch of coaches. Slowly but surely getting there now.

Iv been a little distracted doing some decorating for a mate but finally got the last 3 mk1s masked up ready for blue and the last 3 mk2s are just waiting for a final coat before they can join the lined up line up.

20220601_203028.jpg.2ba0c628cc399024083fe464f9311fba.jpg20220601_203056.jpg.4791464d0f2414d3a44465527402d954.jpg

Cannot believe how much blue iv gone through on this lot but its worth it, also the small fortune spent so far on transfers too! Still, more fun than just opening a box .. I keep telling myself after 24 coach sides and counting!

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

For what seems like weeks I have been on with the lining and transfers for this batch of coaches. Slowly but surely getting there now.

Iv been a little distracted doing some decorating for a mate but finally got the last 3 mk1s masked up ready for blue and the last 3 mk2s are just waiting for a final coat before they can join the lined up line up.

20220601_203028.jpg.2ba0c628cc399024083fe464f9311fba.jpg20220601_203056.jpg.4791464d0f2414d3a44465527402d954.jpg

Cannot believe how much blue iv gone through on this lot but its worth it, also the small fortune spent so far on transfers too! Still, more fun than just opening a box .. I keep telling myself after 24 coach sides and counting!

Looking forward to the white striping, although you're probably not! Back in the day I used car pinstriping tape, I'll be interested in your take, I think I'd bite the bullet and go for a lining tool of some variety nowadays as I still have plenty to do.

Mike.

18 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Looking forward to the white striping, although you're probably not! Back in the day I used car pinstriping tape, I'll be interested in your take, I think I'd bite the bullet and go for a lining tool of some variety nowadays as I still have plenty to do.

Mike.

Morning Mike, I think I'm about 2/3rds the way through the striping now, been a grind tbh but it is well worth it. I did consider a lining tool but the slightly thicker model master stripes helps cover over some errant bits from poor masking. Also the pre formed corner pieces helps keep that job easy.

I tried to be clever and ordered some tape off ebay that was 15mm wide to try simplify things but found it to be no way neat as good as tamiya stuff so reverted back to that for final push. 

Another order in with Railtech today for more yellow stripes and buffet lettering and another tin of blue on the way from Howes, perhaps this is the end of the beginning!

Lots of flushglaze to do soon though....

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

Well another month gone who knows where! 

I have been a tad busy last few weeks tbh with other stuff and a trip to East Lancs diesel gala last week which brilliant, wish I could have gone a second day.

20220710_112345.thumb.jpg.aecac0b6a68b9ca532746174646344f2.jpg

As I'm manning the Fort and child by myself this week I'll be cracking on with these blooming coaches. This morning I was up early so cracked on with the final lettering and numbers. Frustratingly I'm needing a pack of lining from model master to finish off the last 3 2ds. I ordered it 2 weeks ago and still nothing, I shall be chasing tomorrow.20220710_112359.thumb.jpg.aebae16988c96643f111c7a52407c057.jpg

Hopefully I'll have most of the mk1s about ready for varnish in the next day or so and same for 2ds. 

The end is in sight! Best order some commonwealth bogies...

Cheers

James

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Morning all, iv had a big push on the coaches over the weekend to try get some over the line to the glazing stage.

As of last night I managed to get pretty much all the mk1s apart from the RMB & BFK weathered down and varnished, I'm just awaiting commonwealth bogies for these and they'll be on the way. Oh and buffers needed for the CK but  I van add then when I get a new pack.

20220717_211509.thumb.jpg.30e508b77bbc0addd89e23e5ddc4a469.jpg20220717_201809.thumb.jpg.866116cd0207215ea48ddad59d10c79b.jpg20220717_201818.thumb.jpg.154b227dbb3f6844d24ce30f5716581c.jpg

The mk2d's are very close behind, hopefully I'll get these varnished today after work so they can follow on to the glazing shops at the layout. I also acquired a Thompson full brake too for a bit of variety, this has been mucked up and renumbered. There is still an FO and a TSO needed a little more work but I'll be glad to get the bulk of them done. Oh and my Dad has made a spurious 2d RB which will be heading to my paint shops soon..

The end is nigh! Can't wait to get back to doing locos again.

Cheers

James

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Evening all, thanks to the weather being perhaps a little too good at the start of the week I managed to get the 2ds weathered down and varnished up on Monday and took them up to the layout on Tues morning to join the glazing queue.

My Dad has been working away on the glazing and we have a pretty good ECML 2d rake sorted now, got a bit of time after work to get a few laps in, I have to say I'm pretty chuffed with how these have come out and deffo worth the effort to make the home made BFK and TSO's and the seemingly endless white lining!

20220721_181702.jpg.8d626f9c5d7fc7ac54f7754e7649b832.jpg

We had a few bits of 2d's left over from the donor BSO and FO we used to make the TSO's and BFK and it was just about enough to make a 2d RB as I'm calling it. This is just about ready to hit the paint shops and should be an interesting addition to the rake and frees up my mk1 RBR to slot into the MK1 rake when I fancy.

20220721_181554.jpg.3ee4e8a98ab1c8ff0ad4b589c8b40e26.jpg

20220721_181617.jpg.5c2510bd6f3fdfaf91987f0f3595f747.jpg

Looking forward to getting the last few coaches over the line soon, just awaiting some more lining and bogies.

Next up may be a Gresley buffet as per Clive's chopping method but I'm itching to get going on my 009 Barber kit, deffo a project for when the nights draw in more.

Cheers

James

• Like 7

Me likey! Is that a Diagram 72 mk1 I spy there? Is it brass sides on a cut down coach or a cut and shut in the usual style? I'm thinking of doing one similar using Mousa Models sides and one of my 3 Hatchette mk1s (They do form the 'Experimental' rake after all) Either that or a Diagram 90. Decisions decisions.

And Harrogate! I have family there, my grandparents used to live in a house backing onto the big cemetery on Otley Road. Might be time to pop up

1 hour ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Me likey! Is that a Diagram 72 mk1 I spy there? Is it brass sides on a cut down coach or a cut and shut in the usual style? I'm thinking of doing one similar using Mousa Models sides and one of my 3 Hatchette mk1s (They do form the 'Experimental' rake after all) Either that or a Diagram 90. Decisions decisions.

And Harrogate! I have family there, my grandparents used to live in a house backing onto the big cemetery on Otley Road. Might be time to pop up

Afternoon Alex It is indeed a dia 72 boat 1st, well spotted! All the Mk1 oddities are cut and shut Hornby/triang Mk1s, the lounge 1st has a set of blue pullman windows in for the lounge section. Not quite right as I think the prototype ones are a bit deeper but itl do for me.

Off top of my head the cut and shuts we have done are BCK, BFK,LFK Dia 72 FO and also the boat 2nd variant too but that's in green.

Iv just got my delivery of bogies so I'll be getting the RMB & BFK onto commonwealths and finished soon.

I know the top end of Otley Road very well, my grand parents used to live up there too just a little further down from the cemetery off otley Rd.

It's not a bad place to visit isnt Harrogate!

All the best

James

42 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Afternoon Alex It is indeed a dia 72 boat 1st, well spotted! All the Mk1 oddities are cut and shut Hornby/triang Mk1s, the lounge 1st has a set of blue pullman windows in for the lounge section. Not quite right as I think the prototype ones are a bit deeper but itl do for me.

Off top of my head the cut and shuts we have done are BCK, BFK,LFK Dia 72 FO and also the boat 2nd variant too but that's in green.

Iv just got my delivery of bogies so I'll be getting the RMB & BFK onto commonwealths and finished soon.

I know the top end of Otley Road very well, my grand parents used to live up there too just a little further down from the cemetery off otley Rd.

It's not a bad place to visit isnt Harrogate!

All the best

James

Heh nice. I'm looking to build a few of the more unusual mk1s, one being a TSO without the centre door as well as a diagram 72 or 90 to populate the sidings. As a Southerner I'm familiar with the setup of these coaches as the seated door with the quarter lights were a prominent feature of the EMU rolling stock there. I'm also building a mk2D rake although the buffet car will be a Mainline item. Just need 3 more coaches to compete it, another First and two more seconds. I might have to resort to cut and shut if I can't find any at GETS or Warley this year. Those plus two Accurascale mk2s will be this years priorities. And maybe a 37 to play about with as well. Other than that it'll be a push to get my own layout build under way. Got the wood and I'm making arrangements to cut it up. Then things can begin in earnest.

I'll definitely be up soon as my grandparents are buried in that cemetery. Plus I've got various uncles, aunts and cousins still around town.   The house they lived in is in a cul de sac called Harlow Pines and the house is (or was) called Moor End.  

2 minutes ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Heh nice. I'm looking to build a few of the more unusual mk1s, one being a TSO without the centre door as well as a diagram 72 or 90 to populate the sidings. As a Southerner I'm familiar with the setup of these coaches as the seated door with the quarter lights were a prominent feature of the EMU rolling stock there. I'm also building a mk2D rake although the buffet car will be a Mainline item. Just need 3 more coaches to compete it, another First and two more seconds. I might have to resort to cut and shut if I can't find any at GETS or Warley this year. Those plus two Accurascale mk2s will be this years priorities. And maybe a 37 to play about with as well. Other than that it'll be a push to get my own layout build under way. Got the wood and I'm making arrangements to cut it up. Then things can begin in earnest.

I'll definitely be up soon as my grandparents are buried in that cemetery. Plus I've got various uncles, aunts and cousins still around town.   The house they lived in is in a cul de sac called Harlow Pines and the house is (or was) called Moor End.  

Ah yes Harlow Pines up near the playground at the top, know it well. The cemetery up there is still quite well looked after but the Chapel associated with it is in a terrible state and falling down which is a great shame. A friend of mine tried to buy it but the present owners just seem to be letting it fall down.

The no centre door 2nds may be a bit tricky as I think it would involve A LOT of cuts, there is a topic somewhere with pics of a lot of people's cuts and shuts, Clive Mortimer is the probably the most prolific at these things and looking at the amount of cuts it seems a tough one!

I have 3 2d TSO's, one is original I picked up for about 3 quid and the other 2 were created by cannibalising an FO to give up it's windows, be careful here as Airfix coaches seem to have differing thicknesses to the body sides so takes a bit to get them looking flat.... Worth doing though if you are tight like me and won't shell out 20 quid for a true TSO! The 2d BFK conversion is a good little project, I think this is my favourite one of the lot until the spurious 2d RBR comes out the paint shop. 

My mainline RBR is pretty much straight out the box at the mo but with a bit of weathering and flush glaze itl sit in the rakes pretty well without a repaint.

8 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Ah yes Harlow Pines up near the playground at the top, know it well. The cemetery up there is still quite well looked after but the Chapel associated with it is in a terrible state and falling down which is a great shame. A friend of mine tried to buy it but the present owners just seem to be letting it fall down.

The no centre door 2nds may be a bit tricky as I think it would involve A LOT of cuts, there is a topic somewhere with pics of a lot of people's cuts and shuts, Clive Mortimer is the probably the most prolific at these things and looking at the amount of cuts it seems a tough one!

I have 3 2d TSO's, one is original I picked up for about 3 quid and the other 2 were created by cannibalising an FO to give up it's windows, be careful here as Airfix coaches seem to have differing thicknesses to the body sides so takes a bit to get them looking flat.... Worth doing though if you are tight like me and won't shell out 20 quid for a true TSO! The 2d BFK conversion is a good little project, I think this is my favourite one of the lot until the spurious 2d RBR comes out the paint shop. 

My mainline RBR is pretty much straight out the box at the mo but with a bit of weathering and flush glaze itl sit in the rakes pretty well without a repaint.

Heh thanks for the warning. I'll have a look and see what I can find, there's no rush as the layout they're planned for is more of a module with a fiddle yard either end type arrangement.  I could always substitute Mainline or the Hornby Ex Airfix 2Ds as they're from the same tooling. Either way they'll be revealed and close coupled. They're planned for a boat train so like I said there's no rush. 

That's a shame about the Chapel as we used to like going in there looking for the carved mice on the pews. Plus behind the garden of Moor End is a green gate leading to the grave digger's toilet. Happy days...

5 minutes ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Heh thanks for the warning. I'll have a look and see what I can find, there's no rush as the layout they're planned for is more of a module with a fiddle yard either end type arrangement.  I could always substitute Mainline or the Hornby Ex Airfix 2Ds as they're from the same tooling. Either way they'll be revealed and close coupled. They're planned for a boat train so like I said there's no rush. 

That's a shame about the Chapel as we used to like going in there looking for the carved mice on the pews. Plus behind the garden of Moor End is a green gate leading to the grave digger's toilet. Happy days...

Ha nice! Didn't know the grave diggers privy was up there, not sure if it is. Last time I was up there was during lockdown in the snow taking some pics with a friend as the sun went down, got a little spooky...

Well I thought they were all from the same tooling too but it seems there is differences somewhere with the thickness of the plastic but not sure if it's airfix, mainline, Dapol or Hornby where the difference comes in, all mine were bought sans box. It's not a huge issue but just something we found that could catch others out doing same trick

• 1 month later...

Wow, been a little while longer than I thought posting here but I suppose it shows I havnt got much done through August!

Some things have happened though, I got the bogies for the Rmb and BFK sorted and them two are now done and on the layout, yes I know I'm missing a gas box from the rmb but I'll add one another day! The CK now has buffers and footboards so that's all sorted too.

20220911_130747.jpg.f532cc2f7f8fc284ea1f46a678aca1c1.jpg20220911_130802.jpg.d92264a1ec2c11d55845b14dba5a9851.jpg20220915_230431.jpg.54fa296e0ded71db350f06315ddf0268.jpg

The 2D RB got painted and iv been waiting ages for lining but got hold of some this week so spent this evening doing that. Just needs a but of weathering on the roof and it's chassis painting and it's about ready to go into the 2d rake. I have a TSO and an FO to finish lining too so the end is nigh for the current crop of carriages thankfully! Looking forward to doing a kit or loco soon now the nights are closing in. More updates soon hopefully

James

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update as to the next project, I had a plan to do a Gresley buffet out of shorty Hornby coaches like Clive Mortimer has done so have built up a bit of a stock of them to chop up. I went up to the layout for butchery to begin and then remembered I had picked up a Gresley 'Dining Car' a few years back from a toy fair or exhibition which has been in a box pending repairs/fettling.

Lo and behold it is actually a buffet car so all them Hornby Gresleys are getting sold back on! Work began by chopping out the section behind the buffet counter to better represent the coach after the BR rebuild as this will end up blue and grey. A plasticard panel was just and fettled to go back in the holes and left to harden off whilst I attended to other bits of the body that was a bit bent and battered. The roof has been filed smooth ready for new vents to be added.

20220930_122007.jpg.43616b1193cc0a0fa5a6e1ceba8028f8.jpg20220930_132835.jpg.0918ded870c709a702ec243bcdbb3498.jpg20220930_142131.jpg.53aa0c27f5ad087f043fa986dc7ae579.jpg

Lots still to do, next up will be the beading on the new panels and stripping the maroon paint of and rebuilding the underfloor details.

Was good to ne back up at the layout for an afternoon, been a long while since I was playing trains, 9 coach 2d rake may be a tad overkill though but the homemade RBR sits very well in the rake

20220930_121705.jpg.0221534844fc51d4e34e9400133b7d86.jpg

Should be more updates next week, football watching day today

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 6