Dapol open day

MichaelW

Interesting to see that some of the old OO stalwarts ((such as the 7 plank wagon) are getting a new body and chassis. If anything like the Dapol Fruit D, they will be very much welcome indeed. Perhaps they'll get around to releasing the retooled planked wagons as unfinished models (just right for PO detailing!).

However, it's a pity they haven't added any OO coaches to their forthcoming 2010 lineup, they are much needed (but, there again, the very valid point was made about getting overstretched...)

F

Shock horror they may actually make the wagon the right length.. I just hope they don't go for 1923 pattern which would be pointless when Bachmann already make a better model as well as the excellent Parkside kit. The same for the 5-plank they seem to be retooling as well.

The Fruit D wasn't an amazing model for the price and if you want to detail up PO wagons there are already better options on the market.

The 26 is more akin to the 27 and 33 than the 24/25. Unlike the 25s they have much longer 10'6" bogies (like the 35...). The old Farish 33 uses the Farish 25 chassis which isn't right. A rather more correct but also pricy replacement chassis is available in the CJM range.

I was going to order the CJM chassis the other day, but Chris Marchant (of CJM) told me that he's having difficulty getting the (presumably Kato) parts. He said that he's decided to replace it with a completely-CJM chassis as used under his other models. Price will be approximately the same and he's hoping to have it available early 2010. More time to save up I guess.

Cheers

Alex

Hi, please find below the response I received from Dapol regarding the class 26

I must just add a big well done to Dapol for such a quick response!

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for the e-mail.

As you probably know the class 26 is part of our announced 'Magnificent 7'

locomotives from last years open weekend.

This model is currently awaiting a production slot which will be influenced

by any release delays to announced models and / or if we manage to justify

releasing another model (other than in the catalogue) to an already crowded

market in a recession.

This said however, the 26 is ready to go, in various guises, and plans are

in place for early BR green, and then 3 'modern' versions (Large Logo red

stripe, Coal sector and BR Blue) with at least 1 company wanting 1 of the

celebrity green class 26's for a limited edition.

I hope this ramble helps?

Kindest regards

Dave

Dapol Ltd

...which were caused by the recession... tongue.gif

No - they reflect the perceived relative strength and estimated future strength of different economies and can change whether there is a recession or not. The realisation of the depth of exposure of the British banking system to bad debt internationally has weakened the pound. It's this underlying bad debt that has caused the recession and the UK's currency devaluation.

I was going to order the CJM chassis the other day, but Chris Marchant (of CJM) told me that he's having difficulty getting the (presumably Kato) parts. He said that he's decided to replace it with a completely-CJM chassis as used under his other models. Price will be approximately the same and he's hoping to have it available early 2010. More time to save up I guess.

Cheers

Alex

Kato discontinued the RSC-2. Bit of a pain as I was going to do a 74 on it as well.

• RMweb Premium

No sign of a mk3 TGS either sad.gif

Personally I think it would make much more sense to have the TGS and Buffet in a pack with a pair of power cars

Jon

Well they just keep on going...Dapol have now announced a Christmas release of a 'book set' of a DVT, 1 first class and 2 standard Mk3s in the new 'Pendolino' livery, with separate coaches to match. This will look very nice being hauled by an EWS class 90!

David

Also part of that announcement:

'The MK3 buffet and TGS continue to be worked on and these models should be available in all the relevant liveries to match existing Dapol releases in February/March 2010 if not sooner. '

Good news indeed.I fancy a 'Pretendolino' set as well. ;)

Recessions tend to push prices down, not up.

I wish that were true. All I've seen is prices go up. And with Brown constantly hiking fuel duty (and alcohol taxes) to fill treasury coffers with cash lost in the recession (bailing out banks, paying extorionate bonuses and fighting silly wars) all that does is further push up prices (as just about everything relies on motor transport for it to be delivered). He's managed to make a right old mess of the economy with a recession, prices rising, rediculously low interest rates, high street retailers going to the wall (banks, Woolies, MFI, etc.,) a very weak pound, high unemployment and now industrial unrest (with unions going on strike and so on)...... don't get me started.....

G.

I wish that were true. All I've seen is prices go up.

It's true where it's a simple supply and demand situation and in recessions there's less demand. This works through to reduce supply which will then help ease prices back up. But real life isn't that simple, we import most of our manufactured goods so prices reflect the decline in the exchange rate more than anything else. Of course, while out banks had a big business in marketing dodgy loans and securities the overall economy appeared strong which kept the exchange rate high making it cheaper to make things abroad and difficult for firms trying to export (many of which have gone to the wall). Successive governments have pandered to the big multi-nationals (banks in particular) and now we're all paying the price.

Anyway, my point is that it isn't the recession per se that is pushing up prices, but whole shedload of other factors, some/most of which you've mentioned.

And yes, I resent every penny that going to those bankers.

• 1 month later...

Hi, ive just noticed rails of Sheffield are advertising a 'Regional Railways' class 156 from Dapol to pre order. The units are: ND112-156416 powered & ND113-156409 unpowered. Does anyone know if this is 'Regional Railways 'Provincial' livery or one of the later Regional Railways North West (green stripe) or Regional Railways Central (class 158 derived) livery as ive checked out the Dapol website & theres no mention of these models as yet....

Hi, ive just noticed rails of Sheffield are advertising a 'Regional Railways' class 156 from Dapol to pre order. The units are: ND112-156416 powered & ND113-156409 unpowered. Does anyone know if this is 'Regional Railways 'Provincial' livery or one of the later Regional Railways North West (green stripe) or Regional Railways Central (class 158 derived) livery as ive checked out the Dapol website & theres no mention of these models as yet....

Rail Express said these would be in 'Regional Railways Express' livery which suggests the RR Central 158-style version, as does the choice of running numbers (416 and 409). I'm waiting for this livery, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be another run of Provincial units as these sold like hot cakes.

The 156's will indeed be 'Regional Railways' class 156 and NOT provincial.

We will revisit 'provincial' at a later date but nothing has been scheduled for 1010

Wow I didn't realise Dapol had been around since 1010! What sort of millenium celebrations can we look forward to next year? ;)

On a serious note, thanks for the info. Just out of curiosity, what are deciding factors around if/when successful livery variants get a rerun? Obviously it happens as the repeated appearance of models like green Hymeks, GWR Colletts and 9Fs show. In your earlier comments about the class 26 you seemed to imply that there are limited production slots. This is certainly a healthy sigh for Dapol and hopefully the hobby as whole if sales can hold up even under the current economic conditions.

Hi,

Depending on how popular models are, and how quickly they sell out is the main criteria for speed of re-running the same livery again.

However, we are very cogniscent of the possibility of 'flooding' the market again which does no one any good, especially our stockists, who are finding times tough these last few years. This is especially so when you consider that in 3 short months 7 different decorations of 156's are out there!

Ideally the scenario is this....... We make, and sell to the trade. 30 or so days later we get paid, the stockists sell all stock immediately, and are happy with the cash and stock turn over....and so this goes on.

However, this can and does have a downside with regards to people not getting in early for their locomotives and missing out. For this we will always be sorry. The answer is simple......make more!!

Easier said than done though, as it's easy to make more, but how much is more without leaving stockists holding more stock, or indeed Dapol being left with boxes of models (as with the original 66's and 73's way back in the day)?

To counter this (as we know the N gauge following is quite small in comparison to most modellers thoughts about the hobby) we are upping our production to hopefully cover this 'shortfall' in shops. But it's a suck it and see operation for Dapol, as we need to experiment a little to find a happy medium.

It's early days yet and i dont think we'll know a definitive answer until the middle of next year, if at all because sales of goods can be in flux most of the time.

As for limited production slots, yes there is, and we are taking on more cad/cam engineers in China all the time.

Dapol has never been busier and has not been affected by problems in Chinese factories as others are.

We have though, been delayed on projects we'd rather not be delayed on, but this is purely down to development issues, and not factory capacity.

If your still awake, i hope this all makes sense? blink.gif

cheers

Dave

Archived