Unusual trap/catch point

JZ

Saw this unusual catch point behind Redbridge station. Sorry it doesn't show more, but I'd had a few by this time, being near the end of a pub crawl.

post-15-0-08863600-1435691762_thumb.jpg

Not seen anything else like it on my travels. Is it common?

It usually implies that there are running lines either side of it, so a run through can be directed away from a train occupying one of them. There is a similar one in the throat at Liverpool Lime Street, where the shunting neck is between the Slow lines (north) and Fast lines (south).

Saw this unusual catch point behind Redbridge station. Sorry it doesn't show more, but I'd had a few by this time, being near the end of a pub crawl.

attachicon.gifRedbridge.jpg

Not seen anything else like it on my travels. Is it common?

It usually implies that there are running lines either side of it, so a run through can be directed away from a train occupying one of them. There is a similar one in the throat at Liverpool Lime Street, where the shunting neck is between the Slow lines (north) and Fast lines (south).

Also called a wide to gauge trap point.

Simon

Just out of curiosity, how many trailing trap points are left on the railway now. I know there is one at the bottom of the Lickey as I heard it clunking over under the wheels of the 170 I was on the other day. There was one, until 2010 at least, on the down road between Bayston Hill and Condover on the North & West route. I think it has now been replaced although the Triangle with the letter "S" switch board is still in position. I'm not counting trap points out of loops, sidings and the like, just trailing ones on running lines.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

these points have been discussed a few times over the years on here

here are a set on the exit to the bootle branch in liverpool, you can see the principle better in this picture

Image250.jpg

basically as lms2968 says they prevent a runaway etc derailing into the way of other traffic, you just drop off in a straight line as it were

Just out of curiosity, how many trailing trap points are left on the railway now. There was one, until 2010 at least, on the down road between Bayston Hill and Condover on the North & West route. I think it has now been replaced although the Triangle with the letter "S" switch board is still in position.

yes the one at bayston hill has gone, it was relayed last year but i think it had gone by then anyway, i'm trying to think of anywhere else i may have seen some but nothing comes immediatly to mind, plenty of redundant triangle signs about though!

Just out of curiosity, how many trailing trap points are left on the railway now.................................... I'm not counting trap points out of loops, sidings and the like, just trailing ones on running lines.

Paul J.

Narroways Junction and between Redland and Clifton on the Severn Beach line are two I regularly go over.

There are similar 'wide to gauge' traps on both sides of Cae Pawb Crossing in Porthmadog, where the WHR crosses the Cambrian line. The mere thought of them possibly grounding a Garrett makes me shudder!

Of course the whole point is the damage to the Garrett would be less than if a loaded class 158 ran into it.

I''m pleased to have been involved with putting those in at Cae Pawb, very interesting job.

• RMweb Gold

Just out of curiosity, how many trailing trap points are left on the railway now. I know there is one at the bottom of the Lickey as I heard it clunking over under the wheels of the 170 I was on the other day. There was one, until 2010 at least, on the down road between Bayston Hill and Condover on the North & West route. I think it has now been replaced although the Triangle with the letter "S" switch board is still in position. I'm not counting trap points out of loops, sidings and the like, just trailing ones on running lines.

Paul J.

I take it you mean catch points - as in runaway catch points - and the answer is very few and only in some very special locations as there was a major campaign to get rid of them from the 1980s on as routes were converted to 'fully fitted' status and any sort of loose coupled train was banned from such lines. 

When did, or for how long have wide to gauge trap points been in use?

Gordon A

Bristol

I'm pretty certain I remember one being featured in the 'Bazzin' About' series of articles in Model Railway News/Model Railways in the early 1970s; it was an annotated photo of Yeovil Pen Mill, dating from the 1950s.

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty certain I remember one being featured in the 'Bazzin' About' series of articles in Model Railway News/Model Railways in the early 1970s; it was an annotated photo of Yeovil Pen Mill, dating from the 1950s.

They've been around for a long time - well before power signalling days.

I do recall that NR installed a set on the Swanage branch some years ago. I think it was mainly put in to delineate who was responsible for which bit of track and was the start of allowing Swanage Railway running rights to Wareham Station. I think Swanage have re-equipped a DMU to suitable standards and a limited service is in operation.

It is also handy for delivering locos by towing on the main line rather than road although I think steam engines still seem to come by road for unloading at Norden crossing.

• RMweb Gold

I think we put that one in because there wasn't enough standage for the length of units stabled at Leamington overnight with a conventional trap point. We took it out from the old loco neck at Dorridge station, where a 47 managed to get astride it without derailing. It did however work properly at Leamington, you may still find the marks on the second sleeper past it.

There were two at Wolverhampton HL when the station was remodelled for electrification.

Out of curiousity we have a derailer at Leamington as opposed to a catch point at one location. I know they are much more common in America than over here I just wondered if there are any more in use in the UK.

attachicon.gifDerailer%20Leamington%200021.jpg

attachicon.gifDerailer%20Leamington%200011.jpg

There was one at Mallaig, on the Oil Siding.  It was removed several years ago, at the same time as the points (just the blades) were removed.  While the points have since been reinstated ("unauthorised network change") the de-railer hasn't, leaving an "untrapped" siding.  The siding is now only used for engineering OTMs, but is this still within regulations?

To return to the wide-to-gauge trap points; looking through Dave F's always-interesting selection of photos, I found this posted yesterday:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-2nd-july/page-145 

The photo to look at is C6717, which is a view from the Castle Keep in Newcastle of a unit taking the route towards the High-Level Bridge. On the track on the left side (Up Goods?) is a W-T-G trap; what I didn't notice until a few minutes ago was the more usual type (presumably serving as a catch point) on the adjacent Down Goods.

what I didn't notice until a few minutes ago was the more usual type (presumably serving as a catch point) on the adjacent Down Goods.

No, not serving as a catch point, it is the mandatory trap point protecting the passenger lines from the goods line. Although its ability to stop an errant vehicle short of the fouling point is somewhat suspect. The wide to gauge trap has a much stronger braking effect as the wheelsets have to squeeze the rails in, or the rails push out the back to backs. The normal trap just relies on the wheel in the 6ft digging in once it leaves the end of the sleepers.

Regards

Keith

PS Incidentally the picture here, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11708536/Ian-Allan-trainspotter-obituary.html#disqus_thread in the obit for Ian Allen shows that the Up goods trap was the normal type in 1950, the wtg version came later.

I take it you mean catch points - as in runaway catch points - and the answer is very few and only in some very special locations as there was a major campaign to get rid of them from the 1980s on as routes were converted to 'fully fitted' status and any sort of loose coupled train was banned from such lines. 

Remember this...................

It is still possible to find bits of cement tank and Crompton in the undergrowth

http://andygibbs.zenfolio.com/p163790050

When did, or for how long have wide to gauge trap points been in use?

Gordon,

There was one in Brechin station in Caledonian days,  so well back into pre-grouping days in this instance.  Here's a picture from a thread in the Caledonian Railway Association Forum

http://www.crassoc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=576&p=3397&hilit=brechin#p3401

Jim.

Archived