Rod Stewart buying a steam loco?

DavidB-AU

How does one shop for a steam locomotive? There must be dozens in varying states of repair up and down the country, saved but not in running order.

If I had a million pounds would it be enough?

One wonders if he would go for British or American?

His H0 layout is completely American, I still have the issue of "Model Railroader" where he said he was more proud to be on it's cover than any amount of "Rolling Stone" or similar music mags.

Not really my cup of tea musically but I blaady well admire his modelling abilities.

Cheers,

John E.

Well, as I look out of my office window I have a clear view of the Cardiff City Stadium.

Rod is appearing live there, next June.

At £105 a ticket (less booking fee) he'll be able to buy a few locos.

Wonder if he'll pop into L&B as well, they're in walking distance of the gig.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

There was a (Polish) loco (0-8-0?) that was advertised on Ebay within the last 4-5 years I think. From memory it was around the 60-70K mark, plus VAT. As for condition, well it was still running on the Nene Valley Railway, though due for boiler inspection etc. at the end of the year.  No postage, Buyer collects....

Any idea what became of it?

Well, as I look out of my office window I have a clear view of the Cardiff City Stadium.

Rod is appearing live there, next June.

At £105 a ticket (less booking fee) he'll be able to buy a few locos.

Wonder if he'll pop into L&B as well, they're in walking distance of the gig.

Brian R

Brian

Will those paying for £105 for a ticket get better value than those who pay for the normal 90 minutes of end to end rubbish?

Mark Saunders

There was a (Polish) loco (0-8-0?) that was advertised on Ebay within the last 4-5 years I think. From memory it was around the 60-70K mark, plus VAT. As for condition, well it was still running on the Nene Valley Railway, though due for boiler inspection etc. at the end of the year.  No postage, Buyer collects....

Any idea what became of it?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, a Manager where I work brought it and plans to have it overhauled.

Brian

Will those paying for £105 for a ticket get better value than those who pay for the normal 90 minutes of end to end rubbish?

Mark Saunders

That's hard to say Mark.

My season ticket (for the one season we were in the premiership) worked out at around £20 per match; not bad value - if you ignore our impersonation of a Russian submarine.

But you can guarantee Rod will only be on stage from 8:00pm to about 10:30pm - with a break (for some modelling ?) and no doubt some extended riffs so he can introduce his band and backing singers etc.........................

I may could down to the ground, and listen from outside.............. but I won't.

Gone are the days when I was paid (quite handsomely) to listen to the likes of Madonna, the Manics and Robbie Williams.

Like Rod, my modelling takes precedence.

Brian R

Generally, they don't seem that expensive to buy, it's the maintenance and overhauls that are the killers.

and you have to have a very thick baseboard as well!

he was also in the papers today quoting that his rider also includes a spare room for his workshop so he can carry on modelling while on tour

The topic of celebrity modellers has been done to death on RMWeb. Celebrity locomotive owners are a different kettle of fish. Off the top of my head:

- Pete Waterman (obviously)

- Kevin Costner, at one stage he and his brother Dan owned a steam loco and planned to start a tourist line in South Dakota

- Michael Gross, formerly part owner of the Santa Fe Southern Railway

Not exactly a locomotive, but Elton John has an ex-Melbourne tram.

Cheers

David

How does one shop for a steam locomotive? There must be dozens in varying states of repair up and down the country, saved but not in running order.

If I had a million pounds would it be enough?

It doesn't seem to have been a problem for Jeremy Hosking. He's well on the way to owning everything that's mainline-certified.

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't seem to have been a problem for Jeremy Hosking. He's well on the way to owning everything that's mainline-certified.

As someone who is connected to his organisation I should point out this is not necessarily so. Whilst he doesn't shop in Poundland he knows the value of money and will not pay too much over the odds for his purchases.

Also don't forget that he actually owns very few of the locomotives connected to him, the rest he has put into the hands of trusts.

• RMweb Gold

I think that Rod should save up all his ticket receipts from his tour, and then visit the model shop in the city where his last date takes place.

Well, would you believe it? He finishes in Carlisle.

See you in June 2016, Rod.

Hint - I understand his British interest is ECML N gauge, BR period.

Archived