Megapoint Controllers

• RMweb Premium

I bought all my SG90s (and all the splitters and servo leads) from AliExpress, they're often on TopCashBack too with 10%+ cash back.

Only thing to watch out for is that they often seem to advertise "free postage", but only on one unit, so if you need 30 servos, find someone selling 10 and someone selling 20, don't order three lots of the 10, or you can screwed on postage! Seems stupid to me, you could place three separate orders, causing them more hassle and that's free!

Edited by njee20

The technology is entirely suitable , but only when used by people that understand the technical issues associated with it. 

And there's the rub! Why shouldn't someone with more limited knowledge not just expect something which is sold on the open market to work? If I buy a product I expect it to do "what it says on the tin" without the need to go round and round with various fixes which may or may not actually make the thing operate as expected.

And there's the rub! Why shouldn't someone with more limited knowledge not just expect something which is sold on the open market to work? If I buy a product I expect it to do "what it says on the tin" without the need to go round and round with various fixes which may or may not actually make the thing operate as expected.

They do work:-

1. Buy a commercial servo controller - there are plenty out there from big manufacturers like ESU etc. this is not a niche product any more. Don't buy dodgy product that is known to have issues.

2. Servos come with a shortish cable - don't extend it unless you know what you are doing, just plug it in to the tried and tested product close to where you need it.

3. If you want to do anything more interesting read the manual and follow what it says and note the provisos. You should not need to do anything, but if you do beware. Turning off the continuous pulses comes in to this category!

4. Some servos cost a pound, some cost a bit more. If you want a quality solution weigh up the choices of whether the £1 servo will provide the quality you require.

It is no different to anything else. No one says that locos should not be sold after they went to the shop and bought a 'Railroad' range model and got home to find it was not super-detailed. You do have to know what you are doing to some extent and if you don't it is best to follow the manufacturer's recommendations to the letter. There is a range of quality in everything - you can buy good quality solenoid motors from Peco with PL15 switch, and lesser ones from Seep. You can buy a Tortoise motor, or a Conrad. Do some research before you start and you will be able to make a judgement on what is a suitable servo solution for your project.

They do work:-

Don't buy dodgy product that is known to have issues.

As this topic is titled Megapoints Controllers would you be kind to elaborate what the issues may be so I can mitigate as far as possible when I install the ones I recently bought?

I may wish to return them!

Rgds,

As this topic is titled Megapoints Controllers would you be kind to elaborate what the issues may be so I can mitigate as far as possible when I install the ones I recently bought?

I may wish to return them!

Rgds,

I am not aware of any issues with Megapoints - it was general statement to avoid products that do have issues. There are a few threads around discussing other makes of rebadged servo controller which have been returned by users for not working correctly.

I am currently installing the Megapoints system on my Chumley End layout and am covering it's installation in some detail on the layouts thread if anyone wishes to follow my efforts. Now believe me I am no model railway electric's expert in fact to be honest i'm normally asking other members of the group I'm involved with for help when it comes to wiring etc. I have in the past used slow acting Tortoise motors for point and signal operation but I have made the move to servo operation for the first time with Chumley End mainly due to the costs involved. It has been very much an experiment on this small two board 10 foot layout for a much large project that I am planning in the future. 

I chose the Megapoint system due to the fact that Dave Fenton is the most helpful guy you could wish to meet and the system that he is developing is very simple and easy to understand ( it must be as I have got it working ) The website that Dave has set up has good informative video tutorials as well as easy to understand write instructions. Reading through this thread people are talking about having problems with servo motor ' twitch' and worrying about length of cables etc and i have to report that I have had no problems with either. When I bought the panels Dave was very clear that I should use the components that he recommends in the instructions and video's and I have done this to the letter and have had not had any problems and the systems works a treat. When I have come across something that is causing me confusion it's been a simple matter of checking through the information on the website I have have been to get things sorted. 

I am currently now working through the mega processor board which will enable me to have directional indication on the control panel something that in the past I could only have dreamed about with my lack of knowledge of electrical know how but with the Megapoints system even I can achieve this goal. 

• Like 3

Yes, I am really sorry that the this thread has been turned into a discussion about servos rather than the Megapoints boards, which seem to have fewer of the issues, this was not the original intention. Our group has purchased six Megapoints boards for the scenic section of our proposed layout, the fiddle yards, where we have started on, have used the MERG boards and is where the issues have arisen. These have now been abandoned in favour of point motors after a group discussion last night.

If at all possible I would like the thread to return to it's original intention and to discuss the use of Megapoints boards.

Chas

• RMweb Gold

I am currently installing the Megapoints system on my Chumley End layout and am covering it's installation in some detail on the layouts thread if anyone wishes to follow my efforts. Now believe me I am no model railway electric's expert in fact to be honest i'm normally asking other members of the group I'm involved with for help when it comes to wiring etc. I have in the past used slow acting Tortoise motors for point and signal operation but I have made the move to servo operation for the first time with Chumley End mainly due to the costs involved. It has been very much an experiment on this small two board 10 foot layout for a much large project that I am planning in the future. 

I chose the Megapoint system due to the fact that Dave Fenton is the most helpful guy you could wish to meet and the system that he is developing is very simple and easy to understand ( it must be as I have got it working ) The website that Dave has set up has good informative video tutorials as well as easy to understand write instructions. Reading through this thread people are talking about having problems with servo motor ' twitch' and worrying about length of cables etc and i have to report that I have had no problems with either. When I bought the panels Dave was very clear that I should use the components that he recommends in the instructions and video's and I have done this to the letter and have had not had any problems and the systems works a treat. When I have come across something that is causing me confusion it's been a simple matter of checking through the information on the website I have have been to get things sorted. 

I am currently now working through the mega processor board which will enable me to have directional indication on the control panel something that in the past I could only have dreamed about with my lack of knowledge of electrical know how but with the Megapoints system even I can achieve this goal. 

I'm glad I'm not the only happy customer! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad I'm not the only happy customer! 

No, you are not the only one. I use the Megapoints controller (x4) on Donnersbachkogel (not yet ready but points are working on the 2 middle boards) and I am currently installing 2 on Frimingham (7mm club layout). And I have no issues with this system.

Vecchio

Edited by Vecchio
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No, you are not the only one. I use the Megapoints controller (x4) on Donnersbachkogel (not yet ready but points are working on the 2 middle boards) and I am currently installing 2 on Frimingham (7mm club layout). And I have no issues with this system.

Vecchio

Another happy customer with Megapoints - including the routeing processor.

I have  DCC interface to hook up next - but that may be a few weeks before I test it.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

And there's the rub! Why shouldn't someone with more limited knowledge not just expect something which is sold on the open market to work? If I buy a product I expect it to do "what it says on the tin" without the need to go round and round with various fixes which may or may not actually make the thing operate as expected.

I'm not aware that anywhere on the tin does it says " works over long distances with no knowledge of any basic electrical principles "

Or rather like just sticking a cable into the end of a 13 A plug and wondering why the lamp doesn't come on , throwing it the air and declaring " it's says it's a plug " but it doesn't work

A servo and a controller board are parts of a " system " , they are " components" , they like all electronics have specs , power requirements , installation guidelines etc. . It requires "'understanding " and a little bit of " learning " to take these " components " and join them together to make a fully functional system.

Edited by Junctionmad

I'm not aware that anywhere on the tin does it says " works over long distances with no knowledge of any basic electrical principles "

Or rather like just sticking a cable into the end of a 13 A plug and wondering why the lamp doesn't come on , throwing it the air and declaring " it's says it's a plug " but it doesn't work

A servo and a controller board are parts of a " system " , they are " components" , they like all electronics have specs , power requirements , installation guidelines etc. . It requires "'understanding " and a little bit of " learning " to take these " components " and join them together to make a fully functional system.

Totally agree JM, the only problem is that I can't seem to find any references in the literature provided by the purveyors of servo controllers that says something along the lines of, "Oh, by the way, by purchasing this product you agree to accept responsibility as the System Integrator of this product into any system."

But it's also quite possible I missed something along those lines. Do you happen to know of any? Otherwise, let's get back to the original topic.

• RMweb Gold

So, to get this back on topic, it's safe to assume that the Megapoints stuff is pretty good, and if you follow the instructions, it'll work just fine. Half the issues are caused by poor servo installation (read as - you've not lined the actuator wire up, or you've not mounted it correctly) which will make the servos do all sorts of nasty things and eventually cook themselves!

Bewtween myself and a friend, we've probably spent near on a £1000 on the Megapoints kit and I'm not disappointed. And just to add, I blew up one of the servo control boards due to my own incompetence and Dave Fenton fixed it free of charge. So not only do you get a great product, you get a trusted back up service too.........

• Like 1

Don't know if anyone has picked up the new instructional video's that Dave has posted on his website recently spotted them the other day while I was checking on some connections of my processor board. This system does seem adapt itself into all sorts of applications  :sungum: 

• RMweb Premium

Haven't seen the new videos - an update was necessary as he had for instance the possibility to use lever switches not inside the old video. But the boards can do it since some time.

The only negative thing I have to say about the Megapoints controller are the 2 leds - one red and one yellow - which show you the channel you are currently on(red) and the mode (yellow) they do that by a number of flashes. so for instance you are on channel 11 it will flash 11 times - then a little break - and then again 11 times. While you are on the channel you want to change the mode as you have a point which is running into the wrong direction or you want to set up signal bounce or whatever. Try to count the number of yellow led flashes when the red one next to it is flashing its 11 flashes to tell you that you are on channel 11.....

I asked Dave to replace one of the leds with a numeric display. I would be happy to pay a few pounds more to have my freedom. Dave said with the new version of the boards the leds are SMD and therefore smaller and it is easier to count... Have two new boards for the club layout, didn't try them yet as I am just at the basic wiring stage....

Vecchio

• Like 1

Haven't seen the new videos - an update was necessary as he had for instance the possibility to use lever switches not inside the old video. But the boards can do it since some time.

The only negative thing I have to say about the Megapoints controller are the 2 leds - one red and one yellow - which show you the channel you are currently on(red) and the mode (yellow) they do that by a number of flashes. so for instance you are on channel 11 it will flash 11 times - then a little break - and then again 11 times. While you are on the channel you want to change the mode as you have a point which is running into the wrong direction or you want to set up signal bounce or whatever. Try to count the number of yellow led flashes when the red one next to it is flashing its 11 flashes to tell you that you are on channel 11.....

I asked Dave to replace one of the leds with a numeric display. I would be happy to pay a few pounds more to have my freedom. Dave said with the new version of the boards the leds are SMD and therefore smaller and it is easier to count... Have two new boards for the club layout, didn't try them yet as I am just at the basic wiring stage....

Vecchio

You could always temporarily cover one LED whilst you count the flashes of the other and vice versa.....

Hat, coat etc....

I have a small O gauge test track that has 2 points and a single slip. I fitted it with 4 servos (SG90s) and a MERG servo4 board to move them. Every loco I have tested on it caused twitching of all 4 servos to a greater or lesser degree.

I swapped the MERG servo4 out and replaced it with a Megapoints board. No other changes were carried out. No twitching evident.

I also have a fully utilised Megapoints board controlling 12 signal arms on a part of our O gauge layout. Some of the signals are on 15ft servo extension leads running almost below the tracks under the baseboard. Not a twitch even with locos that are known for making signals twitch elsewhere with MERG boards.

I have to admit a connection to Megapoints but only as a maker of a couple of signals for Dave's demo board!

Believe me, I wouldn't use them if I didn't think they were any good for use with my scratchbuilt signals!... :sungum:

JF

• Like 1

One of the reasons I opted for the MERG Servo 4 originally was the excellent remote setting box that is available for it.

post-1191-0-26072300-1490634955_thumb.jpg

I note that the Megapoints unit has the facility to connect remote switches for ease of setting up a controller in an inaccessible location. However, do you still have to count the flashing LEDs on the main board?

• Like 1

I must admit I also have always liked the MERG setting box. I have fitted extension leads from the driver boards "setting" socket to the baseboard edge near the driver board so I can just plug the setting board in conveniently. Saves grubbing around under the layout looking for the board! 

That brings me to the question you have posed...The Megapoints boards I have used so far have always been positioned to be easily accessible for direct setting. I have one of Dave's remote setting boards but I don't think there's any LEDs on it. I'll check when I get home from work. I'm sure if questioned he would make sure any new release of remote setting boards would be LED fitted!

Edit. Just realised, what I have is not a remote setting board just a plug in test switch board! :fool:  :punish: sorry!

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness

• RMweb Premium

If you want a remote set up switch you need to make it yourself. And right there are no leds so you need to count or use a mirror below you board....

I can tilt all my boards so a first set up can be done like this. The mode set up will normally not change and the point positions you can do with the board in normal position using a remote switch. Can show my remote switch later - I am currently on a business trip.... greetings from Barcelona

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i have just bought another board taking my total to 6 along with the multipanel routing processor and the dcc module. not had any major issues and with the dcc module can also change the points when not near the multipanel. the change over from my old setup has taken me a while but it has been worth it and Dave has been a great help when needed even offering a call when i was at home. looking at the new relay board it  now means i will not need to add switches to the servos to change relays over.

so thanks Dave and keep up the good work.

Edited by roy h
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

update on the megapoints as dave now has a selection of block detectors and feedback modules i have bought a few to show me where trains are in my hidden sidings all plug and play and they work just as expected and as all it needs is a connection across the pins i found could also use my existing heathcote boards to give a signal to the feedback board.